TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Pet Peeves

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Or any rent-a-cop in that matter. The untimate low is probably Wal-Mart Rent-a-cops though.

I remember my share with CGA's Haunt rent-a-cops. Upon entering the buffet dinner the first time, one RAC treated us as though we were criminals with heavy searches, and interrogating questions. When searching my pouch I had on me, I had some ibuprofen on hand and some sinus medication as my sinuses are always likely to go whacko on me. The way the RAC approached me made me feel as though I was smuggling drugs into the park and asked me why I had ibuprofen on me. Later that same night, another RAC told me that I couldn't take any photos whatsoever. I do understand that they have to be there due to a night event and teens, but to immediately be so harsh to innocent visitors is a bit far in my opinion. So yea, that's my rant/peeve about Rent-A-Cops.

So It seems like Rent-A-Cops are a pet peeve to so many people. I've had one of them disrespect my camera at my local park Playland's Fright Nights. Well I had the camera in my bag and the bag searcher just dumped everything out of my bag onto the inspection table and because he dumped my stuff out from a height, my camera sure took a hit. It still works fine, but still, have some freaking respect for fragile objects!

As someone mentioned about 300-400lb guys and girls trying to cram themself into a coaster train (which is like a sardine can to them!). They end up delaying the queue and wasting ride operators' time when the operater tries multiple times to staple them in (or should I say cram).

Anyone else bothered by under or overcooked food? Ride malfunctions especially when its your favourite ride?

~ Jess "hope no rides malfunction when I go to Texas" Chan

^There's only so much you can say or do about ride downtime. Things break. Cars stall, elevators go out of service. Amusement rides are no different. It's just something that goes with the territory. What I DO hate about ride downtime is when maintenece is laxed about correcting the situation. Not being able to fix a critical fault is one thing, but "taking your sweet time" to correct a minor fault just makes your organization look bad, and piss off your customers.

^^^Can't the same be said for all Six Flags employees in just about any department???

My park peeve are people who are waiting in line standing or sitting on the railing, especially little kids who walk with both feet on the railing. The railings were there so huge lines of riders can be condensed into a small square space and these people like to treat those railings as playthings.

If the attendants catches you standing or sitting on the railings, all they can do is say (in a calm voice) "Please, no sitting on the rails". Just for once I would love to hear an attendant say (in a threating tone), "HEY YOU, IN THE UGLY SHIRT, GET YOUR SMELLY BUTT OFF THE RAILS AND STAND IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE OR WE'LL KICK YOUR BUTT OUT OF THE PARK!!!

Until such a rule is in place, I guess I'll have to live with this pet peeve.

"To all those who sit on top of the handrails, I hope you all fall off and break your necks!!!"

^^ I tried explaining that to a guest once who was demanding her money back because of a ride closure (it re-opened maybe 5 minutes later). She informed me she had never had a car breakdown of any kind (she was probably 60) because she takes care of her cars and we obviously did not take care of our rides.

^I have kicked kids off of rides for sitting on rails. I don't care who you are, you don't forget 3 times in less than 2 minutes that I asked you to not sit on the rails.

:evil: "To all those who sit on top of the handrails, I hope you all fall off and break your necks!!!"

That probably wouldn't be so great for the park.

/A friend of mine once sketched out an idea for handrails whose tops rested on springs and had little holes in them, while the lower section contained spikes that would stick up through the holes as the upper section was forced down by the weight of people sitting on them.

//Yeah, he was a ride op.

Kids arent the only ones sitting on the handrails and not listening to the ride-ops.

One thing I have always wondered about is why some people hold their arms in the air the entire time while going up the lifthill. Looks silly in my opinion.....

One thing I have always wondered about is why some people hold their arms in the air the entire time while going up the lifthill. Looks silly in my opinion.....

I actually kind of feel that way about people putting their arms up in general. I know it's very popular among enthusiasts, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but trying to keep my arms up just kind of distracts me from the actual ride.

/Other people doing it is not really a peeve, though--just for clarification.

Here at my local park, line jumping and rail sitting is not encouraged, but it's not enforced either. Hell, I mean I have to confess I do it so often. Last august at CW waiting in line for behemoth took almost 2 hours. My feet were KILLING ME, what else do you want me to do? Sit on the floor? I sat on the handrails several times and I didn't get told off or anything (by a ride op or security or anyone else in line). I have had my friend (and dad too) hold my spot in a queue while I go buy a drink or use the washroom at my local park and never had anything said either. I avoid doing those things as much as possible now but its just shocking how line jumping and rail sitting is not enforced much anymore here...

~ Jess "Now I'm good again, I confessed" Chan

There is no reason ever to sit on the railings. If someone is too tired or their feet hurt they should go home or try out Bench:The Ride. If one gets in the line and becomes tired, leaning on the railing or a friend is acceptable. At worst sit on the ground, at least there is no chance of one hurting themselves from falling.

You actually use more energy climbing/jumping on the railing then standing in place.

I would love to see people fall off railings and hurt themselves but the last thing this industry needs is more lawsuits.

I prefer a more covert operation where the offenders are teleported to the magical land of Davonia and shackled in cells where carniverous bees and cats with lasers for eyes dwell.

There is no reason ever to sit on the railings. If someone is too tired or their feet hurt they should go home or try out Bench:The Ride. If one gets in the line and becomes tired, leaning on the railing or a friend is acceptable. At worst sit on the ground, at least there is no chance of one hurting themselves from falling.

You actually use more energy climbing/jumping on the railing then standing in place.

I would love to see people fall off railings and hurt themselves but the last thing this industry needs is more lawsuits.

I prefer a more covert operation where the offenders are teleported to the magical land of Davonia and shackled in cells where carniverous bees and cats with lasers for eyes dwell.

My fiancee always saying The Bench Ride is her favorite.

At Viper at SF Great America it is a mess with how large to loading station is. People sit on rails and like to start mosh pits, just gets annoying.

I guess I will just have to bring a picnic blanket or something to sit on while I wait in line. I remember from last year at Canada's Wonderland I have actually seen people do that before in line for Behemoth. They had picnic blankets with them while I didn't.

Bench: the ride! Rated level 5 for extreme boredom and no high speeds or unexpected turns!

Anyways back on topic. Another one of my greatest pet peeve at my local park is just in general the amount of "neglect" Playland has fallen into. Not enforcing line jumping is one example next to the under/overcooked food.

~ Jess "Bench the ride fan" Chan

I must admit that I am an occasional rail-sitter, though once a ride op tells me to get down, I stay off for the duration of my queueing experience. I understand why it annoys ride ops. It probably gets really exasperating to have to repeat that phrase over and over again, day after day. I work in customer service. I know. People suck.

Let's get to the root of the problem, though. The US is a ridiculously litigious society, full of people waiting to sue whoever they can for their own stupidity. Six Flags and other theme park corporations are covering their collective buns by posting these signs and having the ride ops try to deter rail-sitting. So don't be angry at me, guys, be angry at sue-happy Americans in general, always out for the easy buck.

Also in my defense, sure I sit on rails sometimes, but if I ever fall and hurt myself, there will be no litigation on my part. I'll simply limp home and hate myself. Just like always.

There is no reason ever to sit on the railings. If someone is too tired or their feet hurt they should go home or try out Bench:The Ride. If one gets in the line and becomes tired, leaning on the railing or a friend is acceptable.

I'm only 20 years old & I know many people myself included who may have flat feet/ low arches that may experience some pain while standing in a long line on the hard cement throughout a long day at a park. I would rather not just go home or spend my day on a park bench as you suggest. At least you mention leaning on them should be acceptable. I never sit on a rail close to the station, just further out in the que where it won't bother the ride ops.

& itnotfair who posted above me is completely correct. It's the suit-happy culture that the parks are protecting against, not me. It's unfortunate the way a few people ruin it for all.

Too few trains running, another pet peeve of mine...

My local park becomes part of this yearly "fair at the PNE" for 2 weeks and my favourite ride there, Coaster, is POPULAR AS HELL. Both with the locals and tourists. They usually run 1 train not during "fair at PNE" and when it's the 2 weeks that "fair at the PNE" goes for, they run it with 2 trains. The ride comes with 3 trains, and all my life atleast, i have NEVER seen it run with 3 trains. Whenever theres events at Playland/PNE, I sometimes line up for an hour and half or more for that ride but I really love it that much. Plus, not a single ride at Playland has single rider lines nor a fastpass/flashpass system. So everybody has to wait in line. (although I must confess I have "fast forewarded" by saying "I'm a single rider" several times)

Queue line jumpers and "spot holding" literally run loose during events at Playland/PNE and still, no enforcement...

The only coaster that I remember ever going on that ran 3 trains was Behemoth.

~ Jess "You, must take the A train" Chan

The plaintiff argues the defendant also failed to warn her of the dangerous condition presented by the park bench and that she could not have discovered or protected herself against that danger.

According to the complaint, while Davis was filing a report on the incident, maintenance was called and proceeded to fix the bench. Davis then states she complained to the defendant but the amusement park denied her claim.

I find that very hard to believe.

Davis is seeking damages for medical care, transportation expenses, pain, suffering, and mental anguish.

Okay maybe not hard to believe. Mental anguish?