TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I really never understood why all the Californians hated Voyage to the Iron Reef so much! I get this will have the nostalgia factor, but I'm still shocked they gave up on Iron Reef so fast.

Same here. I liked Iron Reef, and didn't understand all the local hate, either.

I really never understood why all the Californians hated Voyage to the Iron Reef so much! I get this will have the nostalgia factor, but I'm still shocked they gave up on Iron Reef so fast.

Same here. I liked Iron Reef, and didn't understand all the local hate, either.

I get it. Even though I think it's silly. In SoCal theme park culture, EVERYTHING is compared to Disney, even if an attraction stands on its own just fine. Iron Reef opened too close to Toy Story Mania and was similar enough that it received a ton of hate for not being Toy Story Mania. I personally thought the ride was just fine and was actually pretty good, but that's also because not only did I like it, but I've been on a LOT of other screen based shooting dark rides that were terrible.

Most people in SoCal don't really travel and have nothing else to compare it to. And if it "isn't Disney, it sucks..." I see that mentality far too often.

The new ride will have a nostalgic factor, even though, I'm willing to bet that the majority of the people who will ride it, won't even know or remember the original attractions since it even pre-dated Kingdom of the Dinosaurs.

But it's nice to see them pay homage to something that was a fairly original attraction for that Roaring 20s area of the park.

Edited by robbalvey

I think with Toy Story Mania down the street and more “iconic” rides of past and present within the park (people are obviously nostalgic about Bear-y tales & Kingdom of Dinosaurs plus Log Ride & Mine in the park), it didn’t really make an emotional connection with locals with the odd story.

Even though it’s fun, kind of felt “been there, done that.” The lower capacity I think worked against it too—-don’t think many locals bothered with it again after riding it the first time since it was routinely one of the higher wait times in the park.

I think Bear-y tales solves the emotional Connection aspect (parents will bring their kids back with excitement talking about the “cool” ride they saw as a kid). Hoping they’ll add some animatronics to give it more of a “wow” factor to differentiate from Toy Story Mania more too.

Edited by Jew

I’m so stoked that Knott’s Bear-y Tales is coming back.

Can Triotech please not ruin this?

Iron Reef was an embarrassment.

Why exactly did you dislike it so much? Genuinely curious.

I like Iron Reef, but I typically skip it since it has one of the longest waits in the park, and I’d rather spend that time waiting for a coaster. I’ll definitely get down to the park for a last ride on Iron Reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never quite got the hate either... it terms of shooting games, it's probably one of my favorites in execution of the actual game play itself... when it worked. Though I didn't love the theme, I didn't hate it, and the Easter eggs made it fun. I'm guessing the complaints came more for: serious game players found it amateur (I am not a serious game player, so I wouldn't know), could've been more physical sets, the loading procedure is/was slow, and I never liked that it didn't have SR when so many empty seats go by.

But I don't see it as "giving up" on Iron Reef. It appears to be identical concept and technology, just a new story and design. And I'm thrilled they're bringing back this theme... I think it could be great as a updated version of the past, and in the same location to boot! Based on the concept art, I'm hoping they'll be repainting/designing the current vehicles to look more like the old trolleys. The music could also be pretty great; it was a very catchy theme.

I'm surprised that it's replacing something that's relatively "new". . but I'm super happy that it's not replacing Mystery Lodge.

is that still down? that was an experience we really loved when we did our first visit to Knott's a few years ago.

Visited Knotts on Monday. Had planned to get there at 10 for park open, but we spent some extra time at Porto’s (well spent, my goodness is that place good).

Either way, had a great time. This park is every bit as great as Dollywood and Busch Gardens (just like the slightest tick below, for me). Theming was on point and actually pretty immersive in parts, coasters were all solid, nice collection of flats, and some great other rides. The Ghost Town area was great (especially Sad-Eyed Joe).

Especially enjoyed the flume. Still had a Halloween overlay which was nice! You really haul through the course. The mine ride was also neat! Though it was a bit hard to hear the voiceover in parts. Super unique rise that’s clearly benefited from TLC. The rapids were fun, too! What all did they do for this year? Just the animatronic?

We waited in no lines, and did all the coasters (Xcelerator 2x), the flume, mine train, both trains, swings, carousel, observation tower, Iron Reef, and the Stagecoach (how cool!), and saw the Native American Dancer and Saloon Show.

The only hickup all day was with Montazooma’s Revenge. Got in line at 4:30 and it shut down the cycle before we got on, went back at 5:30 just as it had opened back up, waited an extra cycle for the front row and it broke down after we got in our seats. Returned to the station at 5:45 and they opened it back up at 6:00 to give the few of us in the station the last ride of the night.

On the subject of Iron Reef... did anyone else notice the stalling that seemed to occur at most screens? Once you completed what they had asked, sone more random stuff would casually trickle into sight, until the rise was ready to move you forward. I get why, but it really stung the momentum away from the ride. I didn’t really love it, because there’s no cool physical sets to make each scene feel a bit different. Just felt long.

Other question: the train they were running was the Galloping Goose. I assume this is only operated during slow park days? It was super neat!

Everything. Literally everything

-The theme and back story was awful. The execution of both was even worse.

-The graphics were bad. Bad bad. Ecco the Dolphin bad. Okay, maybe not quite Ecco the Dolphin, but PlayStation 1 bad. The Kraken was so underwhelming and got even worse when it became the sea witch.

-I’m not a big fan of shooting rides to begin with, but calling this one in particular a dark ride feels like an insult to dark rides. It’s just a video game. You shoot badly animated mechanical fish and then the ride is done.

It’s not about comparing it to Disney...it’s just really bad.

I was pretty floored when I read that you liked this ride and was very curious myself what you liked about it.

Mind telling me what you do like??

Edited by manifest

No one should be nostalgic for Kingdom of the Dinosaurs! Bring back Wacky Soap Box Racers...that's the kind of nostalgia I can get behind!

Hey, it was movie history! Who can forget the finale of Beverly Hills Cop 3?

Iron Reef was way better than I was expecting and I enjoyed it but this new update looks great too. This will probably be a huge hit with the younger kids at the parks. Would be cool if they add some new animatronics to it.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Everything. Literally everything

-The theme and back story was awful. The execution of both was even worse.

-The graphics were bad. Bad bad. Ecco the Dolphin bad. Okay, maybe not quite Ecco the Dolphin, but PlayStation 1 bad. The Kraken was so underwhelming and got even worse when it became the sea witch.

-I’m not a big fan of shooting rides to begin with, but calling this one in particular a dark ride feels like an insult to dark rides. It’s just a video game. You shoot badly animated mechanical fish and then the ride is done.

It’s not about comparing it to Disney...it’s just really bad.

I was pretty floored when I read that you liked this ride and was very curious myself what you liked about it.

Mind telling me what you do like??

Coming from someone who's not a fan of video games or shooter games--if I have to ride a shooter game, this one is probably my favorite. While I admit I'm not a fan of the theme/graphic design, they're more convincing to me than, say, the graphics on Justice League.

I also like how each gun has a different color, so you can clearly see which one is yours (also lacking on JL).

Biggest difference to me is that the screens are long and continuous, and the overall flow from screen to screen is pretty smooth. It doesn't feel like I'm playing 10 separate screens (which is something I dislike greatly about Midway Mania), but basically one continuous game.

I don't consider this a dark ride. It's a shooter ride, which, to me, is a separate genre (though certainly there are some rides that combine elements of both--JL does do better in this department). As a dark ride, it would be a total disappointment... I take "dark ride" to mean mostly physical sets. That's very lacking. But as a shooter ride, it's not terrible to me.

I also like how each gun has a different color, so you can clearly see which one is yours (also lacking on JL).

They might not have had them originally or maybe it depends on which park you go to but for the ones I've been on the Justice League gun blasters have a color on the gun itself and then right below the gun holder there's a sticker saying which color yours is as well.

Other question: the train they were running was the Galloping Goose. I assume this is only operated during slow park days? It was super neat!

Yes knotts only runs steam on weekends during the off season.

I thought Iron Reef fell short on the theming, and the vehicle design. The whole ride seemed like it was temporary. And, I am not comparing to anything else other than other dark rides at Knotts. I am surprised that they didn't plus this up though and bring it to the level of their other Dark Rides; instead of doing what seems like an overlay. I really do want the best for Knotts though.

^ I agree about the vehicles. So plain, without any design at - all on them. It's like a budget cut happened, and their finishing up, was chucked out. And I miss the way that the original dark ride was done. With moving "antique cars" on a track. And multiple actual scenes with animatronics all over the place. And I loved the fact, that when you looked around, you could see other riders in their cars too. Everybody was in the country for the Bears' Boysenberry Fair. And driving around, checking everything out.

It was a really fun dark ride, which wasn't that dark at all, LOL!

That said, I know they can't go back to that. But still, hopefully there will be a lot of theming in actual scenery etc. that can be seen w/o 3D glasses, if one wants to look.

IMG_0895.JPG.8f4956a590969dda80ac0bd5654344b9.JPG

I mean, even some scroll design on these today, would have been nice. Sept.08/19.

I rather enjoyed Voyage to the Iron Reef, but I am very happy with this upgrade/retheme. Voyage definitely seemed to lose popularity over the last few years. I visited on a few very busy Saturdays this summer and it hardly had a line.

I'm glad to see Knott's continue to go back to their roots and bring back classics. Unfortunately, given that Bear-y Tales will probably use the same vehicles/ride system, capacity will still suck. But otherwise this is a fantastic addition. I have no idea what Bear-y Tales was like and have no personal connection since I was... born in '99, but nonetheless this will definitely make lots of people happy.

Retro Knott's Time!

This is a pic of a buddy and myself, in one of the (then) Knott's Photo Salon's set ups. Circa 1985.

IMG_1811.JPG.cbcdb773a9596663c5787251a6bd1097.JPG

The cover of the photo holder.

IMG_1817.JPG.a51cf4375f1f5797b92af34a4a48f9e2.JPG

Larry on the the left; Myself, "barely holding on," on the right. I was 32. (o;