TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

I don't recall Big One being painful. It definitely had some awkward transitions, but I could see them coming a mile away.

What is painful on an Arrow hyper is getting airtime into that hard, metal lap bar if you don't know about the seat belt trick. However, that isn't an issue on Big One since it doesn't exactly have airtime.

^ Yea, but you have a Superman-like tolerance for pain on coasters.

Big One last year was... not great. I rode it twice because it was an iconic coaster for younger Mike, we had the time saver passes, and I really hoped the first ride was just an anomaly, but Rikki and I were decidedly done after that second ride.

Valhalla is apparently going to be SBNO for 2020, not sure on whether this is true but a true shame. Apparently it needs 900k in renovations and obviously has the high running costs as it is.

I loved Valhalla, it was one of my favorite rides as a child when it opened, the water tunnel, the electric room, actually feeling cold in the ice-room, and so many real flames... but that was years ago, under a different management, and with every-year parts have disappeared until it became mostly just dark rooms. If it's a shadow of its past self and it's not financially viable to run it at full effect then isn't perhaps retheming it better than no ride at all?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this happening more and more to effect heavy dark rides like these. Pharoah's Fury here in Lotte World used to have real fire and other effects and they've all been switched out for fakes or projections (a boulder rolling towards the car is now just a projection of a swirl)

• 1 month later...

valhalla.JPG.bdd95b85310b08ec70687bfed105646b.JPG

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is proud to announce that the ride Valhalla is being given a sprinkling of magic Christmas dust and will experience a reimagining during the 2020 season with the ride reopening in 2021, in time for Blackpool Pleasure Beach's 125th anniversary year.

This ride is insane, anything they can do to keep it going for the future is appreciated. I know that some times it barely works and there were rumors of getting rid of it so hopefully this extended downtime will actually bring it back to full glory and keep it going.

Glad to see they're spending some money on refreshing this attraction. This is one of the few attractions left out there that I still basically know nothing about. I know it's a flume ride that does stuff but that's about it. Kind of cool that there's still rides like that out there in the world with all of the information people have now.

This ride is insane, anything they can do to keep it going for the future is appreciated. I know that some times it barely works and there were rumors of getting rid of it so hopefully this extended downtime will actually bring it back to full glory and keep it going.

I can not even imagine the cost of keeping this ride going, so this is great to hear!!

• 1 year later...

Big One had a Lifthill 'Pause' earlier today. Riders were led down the stairwell beside the track.

Ick. Not a situation I'd like to be in. Made the news, of course. Hope everybody was okay, etc.

BlackpoolBigOne.jpg.631a5110a1ac398dbd19ebeb5fb04ffc.jpg

Photo from the web.

• 11 months later...

Great POV views, Robb! Unfortunately, a couple of the newer ones I haven't ridden (yet) but old faves (or not) I do remember, with smiles.

Thanks for putting this BPB coaster montage together. It's really great!  :airtime:

EDIT To Ask: Robb, was the indoor coaster that was Alien-based, ever gutted out of it's bldg? I remember being one of the lucky ones on the 2006 UK Tour, and several of us were "right there" in front of it, when it was open and running. Then  some time later, it was shut down, and never re-opened for the day. <sad-for-no-reride>

• Like 1

I know Blackpool isn't the best park in England or Europe but that place is pretty high on my bucket list. It just looks so cool, albeit it a bit dingy but that's kind of the charm. And they have a nice collection of unique rides like the steeplechase, and even the wooden coasters seem pretty unique. Cool looking park.