TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

25 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Want to feel old? Today is Nitro's 20th Birthday. If I ruined your day... you're welcome.

Snapple Fact: It's also the 20th anniversary of the last time they painted it.

It's also the vast, waterfall like rust staining under the logo at the front of the station for me. Classy!

Stopped by the park for a few hours today with my father to burn off the Bring-a-Friend I had with my Season Pass before it expired.  Not worth a full TR, but here are some notes:

-Reservations were checked by no one.
-Row skipping on coasters is a thing of the past; though my dad and I did get our own car on both Justice League and Dark Knight.
-Social distancing in queues was actually a thing!
-Season Flash Pass holders were directed to a booth separate from the main Flash Pass building to pick theirs up; it was located near the old entrance to Old Country across from Sky Screamer.  Not sure if this is the way it will be moving forward.
-Dark Knight with the roll-up doors on the sides of the building open completely ruins the point; it was pretty much daylight in there.
-El Toro was back to its normal awesome self after a disappointing ride last fall.  It must have been the cold.  It is now back up to my #4 woodie.
-It had been several years since I was able to get on Kingda Ka in the front.  I don't remember it being this good.  I still prefer Dragster for the restraints, overall smoothness, and "all-in-one-push" launch, but yeah the way it just goes "nope, let's go a little faster" twice during the launch sure is something.
-The park really doubled down on the "marijuana is prohibited signs."  There's like 5 in every smoking zone and a ton more around the park that weren't here last year.  Guess that's what happens when your Governor "legalizes it"....no one actually reads the bill to realize that it's not really allowed outside of your home.
-They have brought in a bunch of outside contracted security staff to manage the park entrance screening and queue lines.  Not sure if this is permanent or just due to most of their college-aged staff not yet free from school and able able to work.
-All in all, a decent visit.

• Like 1

Quick TR from my first visit to the park:

A friend and I made the drive up from DC to visit Great Adventure for the first time this Friday! It was overcast and in the 50s for most of the day, and some light rain in the early afternoon seemed to keep most of the crowds away. There were no lines for most of the day except from 1-4pm, but after the rain the park pretty much emptied out. The park was definitely understaffed, with all of the coasters operating with 3-4 ride ops - even then, Superman didn't open until around 5pm and the park never opened Bizarro due to staffing (per some of the park staff we talked to throughout the day). Definitely a bummer that we missed the Bizarro credit, but we had a great time otherwise!

El Toro absolutely blew my mind - I was really concerned that there was no way it could possibly live up to the hype, but it was running well and I was surprised how smooth it was. The ejector airtime was insane on a cold April day, and I cannot imagine how insane it is at the end of a hot summer day.

Overall, we had a great time and got super lucky to get a nearly empty park. Thanks to everyone who gave us advice on when to visit, and we'll be back this fall to ride Jersey Devil Coaster!

^I'm in the area for work for a few days and managed to sneak away for about 2 hours Sunday during the light on/off rain and I got 5 rides on El Toro without leaving my seat. When I first got there I didn't see them cycle for about 10 minutes and feared the worst but they were just waiting until they had enough people to fill cars 1 and 2 before dispatches so it wouldn't valley. The park was that dead. Left at about 2:00 PM and Toro had been running consistently all morning.

It was running smooth as glass albeit a little slow, but it tends to run slow if it's cold, has long dispatches, or if the train isn't full. It was only about 60 degrees. But slow El Toro is still amazing.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:11 PM, coasterbill said:

Want to feel old? Today is Nitro's 20th Birthday. If I ruined your day... you're welcome.

Snapple Fact: It's also the 20th anniversary of the last time they painted it.

Wild aint it? I do indeed remember when it was opened, and being like 12 or 13 and new to the internet being able to follow its construction etc Was so mindblowing this 230 foot ride. I mean later that year went to CP lol but yeah damn 20 years.

Why would they have just done all this work for it to open next year? What reasoning would there be? Humor me.

Off topic a bit but has anyone else noticed the park is suddenly, actively engaging with commenters on all the socials (the way parks like Hershey have been managing their socials for years)? Wild times. It really is pretty impressive how Six Flags keeps managing to step it up from every angle during this craziness while Cedar Fair parks are over here sending me emails like We'Ll bE OpeNing AgAIn In EiGhT yEar$!!! GeT ReAdy!!!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, boldikus said:

Why would they have just done all this work for it to open next year? What reasoning would there be? Humor me.

Off topic a bit but has anyone else noticed the park is suddenly, actively engaging with commenters on all the socials (the way parks like Hershey have been managing their socials for years)? Wild times. It really is pretty impressive how Six Flags keeps managing to step it up from every angle during this craziness while Cedar Fair parks are over here sending me emails like We'Ll bE OpeNing AgAIn In EiGhT yEar$!!! GeT ReAdy!!!!

Why didbt they just continue  to work on it in 2020, and open it up last july?

2 minutes ago, Lightnin Loops said:

Why didbt they just continue  to work on it in 2020, and open it up last july?

Because Gov. Murphy basically put a halt to all "non-essential" construction (or other work, for that matter), for a large part of 2020.   After it was allowed to restart, I have to imagine the park still wanted to feel out the trajectory of the pandemic before investing anything else into it.

16 hours ago, boldikus said:

If referencing my comment about it'll prob be 2022 was just kidding dude lol Just taking a shot at SF and its (pre covid) slowness with this opening rides

I know I'm behind the times, suddenly it's cool to defend SF (Cedar Fair now is on the **** list?) but eh what can I say? SF needs to do more than be open earlier than CF parks to win my heart XD I mean I wasn't even planning on going to Great Adventure until Jersey Devil opens. I am caving bc 1 its been so long 2 I do need El Toro 3 people seem to say the park is better than it used to be...so (excluding Covid which obvs has made everything weird) Im giving it another try. Once weather is nicer ofc!! If it is early June opening....that would be damn perfect for me actually so Im hoping!!

Wow.  Minus The Kingda Ka not opening.   Coaster Power Hrs last night was awesome.   Did so many rides.   Lost count after 43 rides.  THE DJ was awesome.  And the fist pumping music on skull was a great addition, it just needs to be turned  way up.   Couldnt hear it while riding.  Only issue all night was seeing a dead racoon near the lakefront.  

Edited by SharkTums
Pulled the dead animal picture.

^ It's honestly hard to believe that not one person involved in deciding the Covid protocols for the park was like "Ok this sh*t is f*cking stupid".

• Like 2

I'm impressed by the amount of people wearing masks properly though compared to how the news used to report on America here. My son wanted the bumper cars here in Korea and the queue social distanced about as well as your picture but everyone seemed to be hitting the snack lines and coffee carts and using the queue time to pull their masks now and munch away with their masks on their chins.

Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to my first road trip from the UK in August to visit SFGA but I noticed that there does not appear to be any tickets available to purchase after May. We are intending to visit on the 1st September so I was wondering when the tickets might go on sale? Also mildly anxious that they might be sold out for the season already? Hopefully not!

I would also like to know what level of fast lane I would need to get round al all the coasters in one day? We are hopefully arriving on a quiet day but not sure if it's worth the risk of a bronze upgrade or not.

@Alex Sutcliff

Can't speculate on the ticket issue, but I can tell you that they're not sold out.  Several Six Flags parks either haven't posted their calendar or aren't allowing ticket sales past May for some reason which no one knows.

As for Flash Pass, Bronze level is basically worthless.  If it's a busy day, you'll be waiting just as long as you would otherwise, just not in the queue line.  If it's a calm day, you won't need it at all.  Gold is the minimum you should consider, but given that you're planning on visiting on a Wednesday, you likely won't need it at all, especially if you're planning a full-day (open to close).  If you get there and the day gets busy, you can always buy it at the park for the same price that you'd pay buying it advance.