TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Start with Superman as that is the slowest line in the park. Probably won't be bad on a Tuesday anyway but might as well get it out of the way.

If you see Kingda Ka running, go ride it. You never know when it will decide to remember it's an Intamin and close for the rest of the day. Sometimes it runs pretty reliably, but best to hit it early just in case.

Probably mostly walk ons otherwise.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:34 PM, redfoot12 said:

So El Toro is my number 1 coaster after 15 years. I still haven't ridden a bunch of RMC's and other newer Intamins, but I feel like it would still compare favorably with newer classics like Steel Vengeance, Iron Gwazi, and VelociCoaster (will hopefully ride the latter two in the next month or two).

As someone who has struggled with their weight, being able to fit on El Toro was tight back in 2008. When I returned to visit in 2014, I got denied. I haven't bothered to return to the park since. 

I am happy to report that, in the midst of a weight loss journey, today I weighed in at my "El Toro weight". 258 lbs was what I was when I rode in 2008 and I hit that mark today. Here's hoping SFGADv figures things out and I can ride once again in 2023!

On Saturday 8/20, after 9 years, I finally made it back to Six Flags Great Adventure. I've been able to maintain my El Toro weight. Unfortunately, El Toro wasn't ready for my body and was down for the day (as was Jersey Devil). Enjoyed the day otherwise with getting the Joker credit, a front row ride on Kingda Ka, and some excellent night rides on Nitro. Seriously, I was really surprised by how well Nitro was running. 

The original plan was to do SFGAdv on Saturday and Nickelodeon Universe and Sesame Place yesterday. I decided to go back to SFGAdv after Nick Universe. Luckily, that place was dead and my buddy and I were able to get all 5 credits in just under an hour. On a side note-- I'm pretty sure Shellraiser came close to concussing me. At least, it felt like it to me...

We did a few mall things and made it back to Six Flags. Both El Toro and Jersey Devil were running, so.. YAY!

El Toro was still awesome but... damn. Show that thing some TLC, Six Flags! No longer my #1 but still a top 10-15.

Overall, a successful trip. Only missed credit was Oscar's Wacky Taxi.

Six Flags Great Adventure – To celebrate its 50th anniversary year, the park will introduce the first super boomerang coaster to open in North America. THE FLASH™: Vertical Velocity rushes forward and backward at nearly 60 miles per hour through a 180-degree twisted drop and zero-G roll. In a flash, it changes direction and speeds off again, backward! Guests can also immerse themselves in an authentic African lodging experience at the NEW Savannah Sunset Resort & Spa. Set within the expansive 350-acre Wild Safari Park, guests will enjoy ultra-luxurious “glamping” tents, scenic vistas, spa services and VIP dining, all creating an unforgettable safari getaway.

The POV of the one in China (?) looks like a fun ride, I'm just a little disappointed it needs so many booster launches throughout the course.  Swing launch (3 boosts), a boost before the airtime hill, then another boost before the twist and spike. Call me old-fashioned, but not relying on boosters throughout the course is more impressive to me.  Can't wait to try it, though!  The hangtime looks great!

The safari resort sure sounds fun, as well as the log flume and big wheel refurbs.

I know this wasn't intentional but I like that the zero g roll up into the spike is a little happy-accident nod to Batman & Robin the Chiller before they had their rolls removed.

I call this a win. Finally some new age Vekoma in the states. I really hope this along with the family boomerangs coming, and rides like Big Bear, really propels Vekoma's presence here outside Disney.

I do adore this addition to the park. I think with the amount of attractions this park has, the line might be bad, but not unbearable. The times I went to the park, the worst lines might have only been about twenty-thirty minutes. If you ride the rides with the worst capacity first (joker, dark knight, justice league), you can pretty much ride what you want to ride. Also, as full as this parks' lineup is, the missing link is a Boomerang of some sort. 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:35 AM, Living_Dead said:

The times I went to the park, the worst lines might have only been about twenty-thirty minutes.

Lucky.  I was just there a few days ago and the lines were short but operations were a damn joke.  Green Lantern was through the switchbacks at the bottom of the station stairs, should be a 10-15 minute wait with two-train ops, yet they were stacking every single time.  It took me nearly an hour to get on.  Batman stacked.  Ka stacked.  Medusa stacked.  Nitro stacked.  Supes stacked.  Even friggin Justice League stacked.  It was horrendous.

El Toro, meanwhile, was a walk-on and they were pumping trains through.  Same for Jersey Devil. They have the capability to run things efficiently, they just don't.

On 9/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, KBrylczyk said:

Lucky.  I was just there a few days ago and the lines were short but operations were a damn joke.  Green Lantern was through the switchbacks at the bottom of the station stairs, should be a 10-15 minute wait with two-train ops, yet they were stacking every single time.  It took me nearly an hour to get on.  Batman stacked.  Ka stacked.  Medusa stacked.  Nitro stacked.  Supes stacked.  Even friggin Justice League stacked.  It was horrendous.

El Toro, meanwhile, was a walk-on and they were pumping trains through.  Same for Jersey Devil. They have the capability to run things efficiently, they just don't.

My friend and I realized that operations in the day are a lot worse than in the night. In the day, the operations for Jersey Devil and WW's Lasso were awful. Luckily, those shifts were replaced midways through our wait and the line picked up. Jersey Devil was dispatching every five minutes, and then when the shift change happened - trains were constantly moving and not stopping at the station. Nitro was the most impressive crew by far. We were having trains out of the station while the other wasn't even back yet. Ka was also really fast with dispatching, but that was towards the end of the night. 

• 2 weeks later...

Micro-TR:  Fright Fest Friday September 15th.

So I stopped by SFGAdv for about an hour on Friday to process my 2023/2024 SF Diamond Pass ($110 for all SF parks for the rest of this year and next?  How could I pass it up?), and was pleasantly surprised to see almost every adult ride running.  Ka, Zumanjaro, El Toro, everything.  Even Houdini and Tango, of all rides.  Impressive, but I did not ride anything as I'm still recovering from surgery and waiting to be cleared by my surgeon for more intensive activities.

I did sit down and take in the beginning of the parks Freak Show show, on the tiny tiny stage in the boardwalk...

IMG_20230915_175955655_HDR.thumb.jpg.5e44167a8267744360e1939ffff60607.jpg

Basic one-person-show with a bunch of carnival-style sideshow acts; I did not stick around for the whole thing.

I can definitely say that the Fright Fest decorations, outside of the main entry plaza, were extremely lacking...as in mostly non-existent.  It was weird having costumed actors walking around basically a normal environment.  I did not take in any mazes due to the fact that you have to pay separately for them as the last time I did I was not impressed.

I did observe that about half of the security officers walking around the park were wearing external-carrier stab vests.  Just....wow.  What a massive change since I worked security there literally 20 years ago.

Like I said, I left after about an hour as I had a show to get to in Asbury Park, but yeah...Six Flags being Six Flags.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, AmyUD06 said:

I did observe that about half of the security officers walking around the park were wearing external-carrier stab vests.  Just....wow.  What a massive change since I worked security there literally 20 years ago.

Haven't noticed this at Great Adventure yet (although based on the stories I've heard from FightFest in the past years I'm not surprised they're doing it this time of year) but when I was at SFA in August their security were all wearing vests AND they consistently had 3 county cops parked outside the front gate. Never seen a park openly go all out on security like they do.

• 1 month later...

Spent 1:30-6:30 in the park today and rode nonstop. Walk ons everywhere. Even Justice League was a walk on. Felt a bit holiday in the park-ish with both Frontier Adventures and the Boardwalk closed. 60% of the B&Ms were unavailable today but the two best ones were open and they made up for it by making sure 100% of the Intamins ran pretty much flawlessly all day. Temps in the mid 30s at closing but Ka and Toro didn't care. And that's still too warm for Nitro and Batman, they need it to be colder.

PXL_20231112_201606699.thumb.jpg.c4c8097d317e15e18e4e9b8148bb21c5.jpg

I don't care if you think I'm on crack, Great Adventure in the late fall/early winter is one of the most gorgeous parks in the country and you won't convince me otherwise.

PXL_20231112_201339522.thumb.jpg.a49f8b0bd5295c4889675e9226837d42.jpg

How much did your Intamins run today, Hershey?

PXL_20231112_222531945.thumb.jpg.df80d3695c4fb6e9a422fb4bfb62cb9b.jpg

Sunset laps on Nitro are just the best.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

PXL_20240101_200241474.thumb.jpg.c67ed34e71f8429401f2c30875f36564.jpg

Happy New Year! Will this be the year that this thing gets the world's most explosive paint job?

PXL_20240101_220121252.thumb.jpg.44d8851b99d51d03c597c75566346b00.jpg

The Cedar Fair influence is starting to take hold. Is that you, Windseeker?

11 hours ago, Zack44 said:

Question: Has any construction started on the Flash coaster?

Right now, I doubt it will be ready by the park's big 5-0 (aka July 1, 2024)

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I literally commented to my wife on the way in that it didn't look like they had even touched a single tree, nevermind started construction.

PXL_20240101_222442875.thumb.jpg.910282bbabc688a4cfedc6bd815e6094.jpg

BTW, the new bar (that I had never even heard of until yesterday) inside the Chiller observatory is legitimately one of my favorite things this park has ever come up with. Unfortunately it won't be as much of a secret next year with the new coaster going in next door, but it's really damn nice!

47 minutes ago, Zand said:

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I literally commented to my wife on the way in that it didn't look like they had even touched a single tree, nevermind started construction.

You are correct. I'm not even convinced that this thing is opening next year, and if it does I would expect it to be open somewhere around mid-to-late Holiday in the Park. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2024 at 9:37 AM, coasterbill said:

You are correct. I'm not even convinced that this thing is opening next year, and if it does I would expect it to be open somewhere around mid-to-late Holiday in the Park. 😂

Definitely think it's "SFStL Carousel" delayed. 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was debating going this weekend but then saw the email about pass members getting double ride wristbands. I'm glad we skipped it. Apparently only 1 train operations on the rides which wouldn't be so bad if almost everyone didn't have double rides. 

Can't wait for the summer. It looks like the park is reaching its former glory (well, minus the still-vacant El Diablo space. I hope they put a nice Zamperla family/thrill flat in that pad next season.)

Also, from an employee who works in Guest Relations, not only are they bringing back several of the other Looney Tunes (Coyote apparently met today in a rare non-HITP move), but they're also hiring actors for the DC superheroes! Only Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman have been confirmed right now. Wonder if WB became lax on the actors or something.

• Like 1

Six Flags has released a full animation of The Flash Vertical Velocity, scheduled to open this summer! Check it out!