TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

Colossos in Germany was closed for almost 3 full years (2016 to 2019) for "extensive refurb," but that''s the only issue that I could find.  It was also the first installation.

Balder at Liseberg have been closed this year for a full track replacement and that’s the second installation.

Any wooden coaster requires a lot of maintenance.   Boards are replaced on a regular basis.  Retracking needs to be done quite often.  Maintenance is very critical, first for safety and second for the quality of the ride.  Large woodies are no exception, especially when they have an aggressive design like El Toro.  Intamin did a fabulous job.  Those pre fab woodies are wonderful, very well designed and thrilling.  The issue here is mostly just proper maintenace not addressed.  Maintenance wise you cannot overlook anything on roller coasters.  The park knew something was not right and let it go.  2 major malfunctions in a short period of time.  Thankfully no one was badly hurt from those incidents but the fate of El Toro is in limbo.  With the state of NJ investigating and Six Flags cutting their budget accross the chain it could be enough for the coaster to be torn down or stay dormant for a while.  Hopefully it will not have the same fate as Son of Beast, although personally I don't think so in that SOB was badly designed and El Toro not.  

1 hour ago, ricklap77 said:

Any wooden coaster requires a lot of maintenance.   Boards are replaced on a regular basis.  Retracking needs to be done quite often.  Maintenance is very critical, first for safety and second for the quality of the ride.  Large woodies are no exception, especially when they have an aggressive design like El Toro.  Intamin did a fabulous job.  Those pre fab woodies are wonderful, very well designed and thrilling.  The issue here is mostly just proper maintenace not addressed.  Maintenance wise you cannot overlook anything on roller coasters.  The park knew something was not right and let it go.  2 major malfunctions in a short period of time.  Thankfully no one was badly hurt from those incidents but the fate of El Toro is in limbo.  With the state of NJ investigating and Six Flags cutting their budget accross the chain it could be enough for the coaster to be torn down or stay dormant for a while.  Hopefully it will not have the same fate as Son of Beast, although personally I don't think so in that SOB was badly designed and El Toro not.  

Are you really making the claim that the park knew the ride was structurally compromised yet ran it with riders anyway? We're really doing that? Please, PLEASE let us know how you are so sure about that. I'm not talking about what you THINK happened behind the scenes, I want to know how YOU KNOW that is what happened.

And before anyone comes at me thinking I'm rushing to Six Flags and/or Intamins defense for anything at all related to this - I'm just allergic to bullshit and the people who spew it.

• Like 4

Yeah, not sure what richland is talking about. But since seeing the second installment of the pre-fab coaster is getting a full rehab, is it safe to say these coasters have a shelf life of about 15-20 years?  I say that's pretty good as most wooden coasters continually have to have sections and track replaced ever so often.  But still. I wonder if that's a written thing or just something determined by ride cycles or what. Hopefully SFGadv follows suit and just rehab the coaster and make it anew. 

• Confused 1

The park has released a statement that they intend to reopen the ride after repairs and inspections, in time for the 2023 season.

Let's please stop with the "CEO doesnt want to spend money" / "chain is broke" / "the future of this ride is in doubt" nonsense, please and thanks.

"A careful and deliberate review of the entire ride indicates the primary and backup safety systems of the ride ensured the train completed its ride cycle safely,"Gabriel Darretta, a Six Flags Great Adventure spokesman, said Thursday. "Experts discovered a section of the ride sub-structure that requires repair. The ride will remain closed to complete the review and make necessary repairs."

"Prior to re-opening, which is expected in time for the 2023 season, the ride will be inspected again, including evaluations by the state of New Jersey and certified, independent ride safety experts," Darretta said.

"Once approved by our engineers, maintenance, and operations professionals, the ride will re-open," he said.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/brick/2023-el-toro-reopening-planned-six-flags-great-adventure

Annual passes are gone again and season passes are back. They now have more new names. These are season passes instead of annual passes/memberships--Instead of expiring 12 months from date of purchase, Gold expires on Labor Day 2023, but Platinum and Diamond expire 1//2/2024.

This is for Great Adventure. Other parks are probably different for maximum confusion.

308671573_10224191454988717_7512963943866802203_n.thumb.jpg.0698c9609d651b5e4a27cbf2e48e61b5.jpg

This brings the number of annual pass types currently outstanding to 34.

Source

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Annual passes are gone again and season passes are back. They now have more new names. These are season passes instead of annual passes/memberships--Instead of expiring 12 months from date of purchase, Gold expires on Labor Day 2023, but Platinum and Diamond expire 1//2/2024.

This is for Great Adventure. Other parks are probably different for maximum confusion.

308671573_10224191454988717_7512963943866802203_n.thumb.jpg.0698c9609d651b5e4a27cbf2e48e61b5.jpg

This brings the number of annual pass types currently outstanding to 34.

Source

Is this one of those Selim ideas or just GADv management ideas?

Meanwhile, I'm just sitting (not so) pretty with my legacy Diamond Elite membership I bought in 2018 :)

Great Adventure seems to be the first park that gets all the changes.  No idea why.  Seems like it's been this way since he took over.  First to originally kill memberships, remove dining options, offer new passes over and over, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up doing Fright Fest Power Hours last night with the family. This is only the second time I've been here this season, so hard to judge how it was compared to an average Thursday night, but it was absolutely dead. 

The rundown:
Wonder Woman x3 (daughter's first rides on this, 1 cycle with the entire ride to ourselves)
Batman x3 (son & I, 2 front row, 1 back, 1 cycle with the entire ride to ourselves)
The Dark Knight x2 (wife and daughter only)
Jersey Devil x3 (1 back row, 1 cycle with the entire ride to ourselves)
Nitro x1 (son & I only)
Justice League x1 (no 3D glasses)
Reflections of the Dead x1 (no conga line)
Overpriced dinner at Granny's (no meal plan for us this year)
Skull Mountain x1 (entire ride to ourselves)
Fender Benders x1
Big Top Terror Forgotten Carnival 3D x1 (no conga line)
Fears x1
The Manor x1
Superman: Ultimate Flight x1 (son & I only)
Kingda Ka x2 (son & I, 1 front row)
The Joker x2

Green Lantern was scheduled to be open, but never did. All the better for my nether regions. The entire Plaza Del Carnaval and Frontier Adventures sections were blocked off, so no Runaway Mine Train or Medusa either. Skyscreamer was open and they have the skycoaster harnesses available as a $10 upcharge, but by the time we made it over there it was dark and pretty cold so we decided to pass on it for right now. Maybe during the daytime sometime when it's a little warmer.

The haunted houses? Reflections of the Dead had I think three scare actors in it, no video overlays like they have had in the past, and it was pretty short to get through. Big Top Terror has some great setpieces and more actors, but also a lot of dead space. This was my favorite of the houses last year and it didn't really live up to what we remembered. On the other hand, usually Fears and The Manor were disappointments but they really pumped them full of actors this year, and they weren't shy about screaming at the absolute top of their lungs. I think The Manor is my pick of the four this year.

Honestly, it was a pretty good way to kill a few hours on a Thursday night. I hope they continue offering this event in the years to come, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't end up making the cut.