TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

raptorcrew2002

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Phantom Menance I would have had no doubt that this movie would be awesome beyond words. I have to say that if it is absolute trash I won't even be mildly surprised. Just remember the trailers for all 3 Star Wars prequels looked absolutely amazing and that did not turn out so well.

^The Star Wars prequels operated under two major handicaps: 1) George Lucas's script (the man can't write dialogue to save his life) and 2) very poor casting choices for Anakin Skywalker.

I have higher hopes for the new Indy flick.

And Wes, as I recall, the idea was for Indy to be noticeably older in this one--isn't the story post-WW II? (Or am I mistaken?)

^It should definitely be near or at the top by year's end, but remember that you also have Batman, Star Trek, James Bond, Narnia, and Harry Potter coming out this year too.

Star Trek has been postponed to May 09

^The Star Wars prequels operated under two major handicaps: 1) George Lucas's script (the man can't write dialogue to save his life) and 2) very poor casting choices for Anakin Skywalker.

I have higher hopes for the new Indy flick.

And Wes, as I recall, the idea was for Indy to be noticeably older in this one--isn't the story post-WW II? (Or am I mistaken?)

I agree with you about the Star Wars prequels.

I do have better hopes for the new Indy movie, yet I do have some concerns. I've read some of the rejected drafts for the screenplay that someone posted on one of the websites for scripts. Although I was surprised by some of the names attached to the drafts, the scripts were not good. I do know that Lucas and Spielburg went through several script writers before they finally agreed to a script, so there is a good chance they finally found something that worked. (And, of course, just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's truly one of the scripts they were considering.)

I think the new Indy flick is set during 1950s.

Before Phantom Menance I would have had no doubt that this movie would be awesome beyond words. I have to say that if it is absolute trash I won't even be mildly surprised. Just remember the trailers for all 3 Star Wars prequels looked absolutely amazing and that did not turn out so well.

I'm with you on the the 3 newer Star Wars films, especially Attack of the Clones. It made Howard the Duck look like Citizen Kane. I still get sick thinking about Anakin and Natalie Portman playing grab ass on that insanely fake looking CGI planet.

This just in: nobody goes to a Star Wars movie to see George Lucas's ersatz version of a Danielle Steele novel.

However, I'm more hopeful about Indy. I think Spielberg might have enough pull to beat some sense into George Lucas.

I had never thought about this before, but after reading ainitcool news website they had an interesting article on US version trailers, specifically on this film. I didn't release the US was so anal with details.

So it is ok to show an explosion blowing people up, bet you cannot show guns? huh? Just thought that was interesting.

Photo credit: http://www.aintitcool.com/

MagicPantsBig.jpg.077779eec88a36b645b2d15a02bc084c.jpg

US MPAA tweaked trailer verse overseas.

^ They were just following rules set forth by MPAA in order to make the trailer acceptable for "All Audiences" (the green screen you see before trailers begin). If those rules are legit or not--That's a whole another debate. I'd say start a thread, but I personally think we've exhausted the "PC--is it bad?" thread. Yes, America sucks. We know that.

As for Indy 4 v. the Star Wars prequels, I've always had the impression that with the Star Wars prequels, Lucas had this "story" he was trying to tell, with a "message" he was trying to convey. And honestly his interpretation of a story bogged down the films. I always remember watching the Simpson when they go to watch the prequels, hoping for a Star Wars and getting a bunch of planets debating in the Galactic Senate for 2 hours.

With Indy 4, I have the impression that everybody kept bugging them about making another Indy, they said "We can make a crap a lot of money with this", so the hope is they just jammed a bunch of obligatory Indy stuff in and call it a day. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

-Jahan

• 3 months later...

You know, I'll just go see the movie. It looks fun and has some interesting premises.

Curiously, it reminds me of the stunt show and Marian yelling "Can't you take a hint?!" before punching a guy off a ladder.

The whole Crystal Skull idea that this is based on, is an interesting read. Naturally, there's a lot of debate, but if you enjoy the supernatural or just a good legend, the subject is worth a look.

So Tyler, are you hitting Rave or Hollywood 18 while in town?

I SAW THE MOVIE.......

and it was really cool. It really kept the charm of the movies. I don't want to spoil anything in the intressted of my safety.

My rating is 8/10 stars. It was amazing and in old fahsion form. But there where somethings that could have been changed to be better.

--James

I saw the midnight show this morning/last night. I thought it was good, but it had a very strange plot and there were a ton of unrealistic scenes (well of course, but it seemed a little too much). It was entertaining and I really liked the tie-ins they made to the previous movies (the ark and the snake!).

Wow, I just read the spoiler and have lost all interest in seeing the movie. Seriously, they couldn't come up with anything better? This may sound stupid, but I feel like fantasy movies these days are becoming a little too fantastic.

I saw this last night at a midnight showing (they had 8 screens showing it and most of them were full!) I'll give it a 7/10, as a standalone movie it was a fun movie, as an Inidana Jones adventure, it just doesn't hold up to the other films. The last act was pretty weird and just kinda took me out of the moive; also, the whole swinging with the monkey's part, OH MY FREAKING GODS that was just bad. I would recommend this as a matinee or an early bird showing if your local theater does that kind of deal, if not just waiting for the DVD will suffice.

I'm gonna have to agree with the rest of you. It was a good movie and they did a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the other 3 movies. But as the movie went on, and got closer to the end, things just got harder to swallow. But they more than made up for those awkward parts with the awesome action sequences. The motorcycle and jungle chases were amazing. I'd recommend the movie. Just don't go in expecting the best Indiana Jones movie ever.

I'm gonna have to agree with the rest of you. It was a good movie and they did a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the other 3 movies. But as the movie went on, and got closer to the end, things just got harder to swallow. But they more than made up for those awkward parts with the awesome action sequences. The motorcycle and jungle chases were amazing. I'd recommend the movie. Just don't go in expecting the best Indiana Jones movie ever.

^Yep that is how I felt about the movie as well. I thought, for the most part, the action scenes were well done. The storyline involving the actual quest was quite weak.