TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

I'm going to have to say SCREAM at SFMM.

Definitely the best ride there IMO.

So smooth, beautiful color scheme and so many inversions!

Haha, I'd have to go the complete opposite way with this one, if anything it's overrated (and it's not rated very high). It's just really boring, it's barely got any layout beyond inversions and it shakes like a mother. I only ride it cause it never has a line

Haha no way really? I haven't seen much talk about it on here.

I love that there is never any lines though

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Eagle at Six Flags Great Ameria. Best woodie ever I say.

Yes! (well not best ever but it's up there!) It's drop is only 7 feet shorter than Voyages first drop! I've ridden quite a few out-and-back woodies such as Great American Scream Machine SFOG & Comet HP and this has blown them all away. As for giant out and back racing woodies I only have Racer at Kings Island to compare it too so far. It totally dominates Racer. I'll be riding Rebel Yell this summer and Rolling Thunder the following summer so I'll have those to compare it to.

That being said, I've had some rough rides on it more recently. I'll be at Great America in four days and will be sure to ride both sides to see if the fairly recent retracking has helped. (Didn't it get some care in the past few years?)

Also the drop is a surprising 20 feet longer than you can see from off the ride. The drop is into a ravine surrounded by framework that you can't see from off the ride. This Mammoth drop and run though the structure is one one of my all time favorite moments on a coaster! For these reasons I believe American Eagle is extremely underrated

Ninja... It's still a very enjoyable ride at SFMM. People kinda brush it off due to it's lack of height or speed but I honestly enjoy it very much. Especially when you ride it in the dark and those trees become great head (and arm) choppers! HIIIYAAAA!!!!!!!!

Any of the Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerangs are rides that are under the shadows. Deja Vu at Magic Mountain is just another ride there because of all of the other insane rides that are at Magic Mountain. Stunt Fall get's a good amount of respect. Aftershock is in an out of the way park so it will be hard for it to get much pub. Even though they've had alot of problems in the past, they're great rides when they're running. The first lift up the first tower and 178 foot, 90 degree drop is pretty great.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think Steel Eel at SWSA is underrated. We rode it in the rain in March '08 and the thing was an air machine. It's still in my Top 10, over 100 coasters later. I guess that park just doesn't get the hordes of enthusiasts. My advice is to sign up for the Texas trip ASAP if there's still room.

Also, what about Skyliner at Lakemont? I didn't know anything about it and it totally took me by surprise. I would have ridden a few more times if we weren't trying to do Idlewild, Del Grosso's, Lakemont, and Waldameer in one day. Which we did.

-Martin

Last Park: Walt Disney Studios Park, Marne la Vallée, Ile-de-France France

Next Park: Gardaland, Castelnuovo del Garda, Veneto Italy

Big Bad Wolf- Ok I know everyone hails this as the best suspended out there and it totally is, but in regards to regular steel list, this thing should be higher, just went this weekend for opening day at BGE and good lord for being 25 years old, one of the most out of control steel coasters ever built

Great Bear- For some reason, the two PA B&M inverts don't get love. Besides Alpengeist, B&M had the most challenging time with this ride compared to probably any other. Amazing drop, 3 quick and swift elements, and the corkscrew comes out of no where. This ride also is in my top 10 of best coasters to ride at night anywhere, so amazing.

Amen. BBW is an amazing coaster! GB's helix before the drop is awsome, and you gotta love the supports of the river.

Cyclops at Mt. Olympus., is my wood vote, because that drop is just amazing! And not to mention it has 2 other moments of GREAT airtime also!

Wildfire is my steel vote. Something about this coaster is just awesome. It has good forces, has a great first drop, and has one of the best settings ever!

Alpengeist

Its fast, fun, intense, disorienting. Granted I've never been on any other invert besides Alpengeist, this is my personal number 1 coaster and the best ride at BGE.

Heck its the second-best themed coaster there, behind BBW of course.

Though its becoming more and more well known, Avalanche in the Wisconsin Dells is easily one of my top 10 wooden coasters. Super fast, tons of airtime, its just overall crazy fun. Now that I think about it, I don't believe there's a straight piece of track on that between the first hill and the break run.

Underrated and overrated are such weird concepts. It's kind of like saying, "What ride do a lot of people disagree with you about?" I mean, we have enough trouble trying to find concensous on which rides we like and dislike without throwing negatives into it!

When I worked at IOA, people used to ask things like, "Which is worse, Hulk or Dragons?" Um...which is worse? You mean, which is less scary or something, or which ride is actually inferior?

Okay, the ride I really, really like that few others seem to is....

Arrow's Mad Mouse!

It might have been said, but Wild Beast at Canadas Wonderland is way underrated. It never uses it's full queue, and sure, it's rough, but the front seat is amazing. Then of course, this comes from someone who hasn't ridden any of the "top awesome exciting" wooden coasters in the world.

I think Silver Bullet is quite underrated. It always gets slated for not having a steep drop. And that it is in Knotts Berry Farm (no comment). I found it fun and unexpectedly intense and is also in my B&M top ten list. This is actually dare I say it worth going into Knotts to ride as well as Xcelerator.

I also think that Superman the Escape at SFMM is underrated. This was one of favorite rides at SFMM. This is often knocked for it not reaching its top speed anymore. but I don't think that it is any worse. It is still an ausome rush of acceleration and extreme air time.

Hydra - yeah it peters out at the end but everything before that is golden.

Deja Vu - the intensity more than makes up for all the downtime on the GIB's.

Raging Bull - perhaps I'm partial to it because it was my first hyper but I love this ride. In fact I rate it higher than a couple of the other B&M hypers.

Gemini - pure fun! Plenty of airtime and they actually race it, which adds a lot to the overall ride experience. I'd take it anyday over Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster.

Coaster at Playland. I love that thing! Vancouver's only wooden rollercoaster left standing. They just don't make them like that anymore. Most of the locals say things like this things too rickety, this thing's too rough, it's only 75 ft, its thing's unsafe, there's better coasters out there than that, blah blah blah. I mean sure, it doesn't have the most original name out there but man it's a massive airtime monster! There's like literally nothing holding you in if you ride single, you literally slide from side to side.

~ Jess "underrated not underridden" Chan

The Boss--- Incredible layout, great airtime, best first-drop on a woodie I've seen in a long time, nice speed, and pretty smooth (it was yesterday, anyway.) I can't believe so many people dog on the awesome wooden coaster.

Mr. Freeze--- Though it isn't rated poorly, it still doesn't receive the ratings it deserves. The launch is intense, the inverted top hat is an amazing inversion, and the vertical spike is just awesome...not to mention the very intense positive G's while going backwards.

Evil Knievel--- Hands down the best GCI around...I couldn't believe the amount of airtime and constant speed this ride delivered. I think it will definitely move up on polls as more people experience it.

The Boss--- Incredible layout, great airtime, best first-drop on a woodie I've seen in a long time, nice speed, and pretty smooth (it was yesterday, anyway.) I can't believe so many people dog on the awesome wooden coaster.

Mr. Freeze--- Though it isn't rated poorly, it still doesn't receive the ratings it deserves. The launch is intense, the inverted top hat is an amazing inversion, and the vertical spike is just awesome...not to mention the very intense positive G's while going backwards.

Evil Knievel--- Hands down the best GCI around...I couldn't believe the amount of airtime and constant speed this ride delivered. I think it will definitely move up on polls as more people experience it.

Mr Freeze, definately! I agree with you Mr Freeze is underrated. It's a very interesting experiance being launched backwards I think.

The best "backward launch" I've experienced is that of an impulse coaster.

A quick list of coasters that pack quite a punch for what they are

NINJA-Six Flags Magic Mountain

Best Arrow Suspended coaster I've been on. First helix is pretty intense. A 42" height requirement means even the little ones can have fun on it.

FAIRLY ODD COASTER-Kings Island

If someone told me that this was a wooden coaster for kids, I would have told you that you were crazy due to all the floater airtime it creates

RAGING WOLF BOBS (Defunct)-Geaqua Lake

Clearly the best woodie in the park, seeing how Dipper was a borefest and Villian broke femurs.

PONY EXPRESS-Knott's Berry Farm

It's short, it's boring, the layout sucks, it lacks the very essence of creativity...but I would rather see Knott's spend 10 million dollars on a coaster than more trash cans.

I love Jr. Wooden coasters. They're so small & fun and yet so awesome! I've been on 4, and my favorite is Zach's Zoomer at MIA. Such great airtime

Really? Scooby Doo's Ghoster Coaster at CW lacks all airtime! I'd say that's abit of an underrated coaster too because it's still a cute lil coaster for the younger kids. And Jr woodies are uncommon in canada.

~ Jess "A rare breed" Chan