TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put in my 2 cents.

Georgia Scorcher - While my frame of reference is limited when it comes to stand up's, I loved this ride! So much fun, smooth, and even re-ridable which I dont usually find among stand up's.

Batman The Ride (all clones) - Don't get enough credit for what they are, which is awesome. All of the ones I have been are are still intense like no other, and smooth as silk after all these years.

Superman Ultimate Flight (all clones) - Just plain fun. Sure the only intense part is the pretzel loop, but I just find them so much fun.

Revenge of the Mummy (USF) - I don't hear much about this ride anymore. I love this ride! So much fun, forceful, and even a good bit of airtime in the back. Not to mention the great effects and FIRE!!! This ride deserves more credit.

Although I've never really noticed anyone bash it, I rarely see Roar at SFDK getting much love from coaster enthusiasts. I'm not going to try to claim it's the be all - end all of coasters, but I think it provides a very good ride with a nice fast pace and it isn't excessively rough or shaky.

Batman The Ride (all clones) - Don't get enough credit for what they are, which is awesome. All of the ones I have been are are still intense like no other, and smooth as silk after all these years.

Winner.

Batman clones are awesome.

^ I totally agree. I've always thought the Batman Rides deserved more credit. Its definitely a SMOOTH ride with some very nice inversions. I remember going up to SFMM when it opened, the line was about 4 hours long and Viper was about 2 1/2 hours. I'm glads those days are gone....two of the hottest queue's ever!!!

The first Batman I experienced was at SFGAm. It was really nothing more than an afterthought, Nikki and I were sure that Raging Bull and Superman would blow it out of the water, but boy were we wrong! Batman had some serious forces, crazy speed, non-stop action! After being totally disappointed by Superman [which we thought was okay but nothing special], this really made up for it.

Our second one was Vampire at La Ronde, and we knew what to expect and definitely weren't let down!

I honestly can't think of many other underrated coasters. Most coasters we've been on, we had very tempered expectations. Obviously the "destination coasters" come with heightened expectations, but the majority of other coasters are just kinda "there".

I've always thought the Batman Rides deserved more credit. Its definitely a SMOOTH ride with some very nice inversions.

Maybe I haven't been on many "underrated" coasters, but Batman takes the cake for me on this topic too. They offer such a quick, tight punch of intensity, I've always thought Batman clones cycle perfectly for what B&M invert trains were designed for. Doesn't matter which park I'm at, if they have a Batman clone, I'm gonna be riding it.

The one at MM is still amazing, even after almost 15 years of non-stop cycling! I just got on it last week, and its smooth and fun and it rides just like it did when it first opened.

I think that Thunder Run at SFKK is underrated. When I was about to go on it I thought I was going to get a beat down because of the violent looking 180 degree turn right after the first drop but man was I wrong!

Thunder Run is one of those wooden coasters that's violent, but standable. (Not like Ghostrider... That just plain sucks) Infact, the violence and the rattling really adds to the ride! I rode it at least 5 times last summer and that's my favorite coaster at the park. Good airtime, (but I have nothing to base airtime off of because I live in CA...) lots of rattling, and a well paced ride.

• 3 weeks later...
Wild One at SFA is vastly underrated. Excellent airtime, sudden shifts in direction, and a killer helix finale. I wish it wasn't stranded in such a crap-park...

Totally agree on Wild One. I absolutely love Wild One, the airtime is great, the laterals are great, there is never a line, and its got the perfect amount of smoothness. To me its pretty much the perfect wooden coaster, and its one of the oldest in operation.

Although I still love SFA so I can't really agree with the 2nd part there.

I also say Big Dipper @ GL and Boss. Big Dipper was easily the biggest surprise of my Ohio/Michigan trip last summer, I loved the floater air in the front seat. I haven't been on Boss in a few years now, but I was pleasantly surprised by it and thought it was a good woodie when I visited SFStl.

I can think of three

1. Mindbender because of non-recognition and short lines despite ejector air in the front seat and a "fake" drop from great rack layout design

2. Hurler because it may be rough but it has great airtime and high speed banked turns

3. Blue Streak because of already mentioned reasons

• 1 month later...

Stealth at Thorpe Park.

Stealth has a 205 ft Top Hat with good airtime and a 0-80 mph launch in 2.3 seconds, yet it’s stuck in the borderline tier because of a perceived inferiority to its fellow rocket coasters. Let’s not kid ourselves, any coaster with a hydraulic launch and a Top Hat is automatically going to be measured against those that have the same elements. I am, of course, referring to Storm Runner and Top Thrill Dragster.

When it was first built, Stealth spent a fair bit of its time being compared to Storm Runner, which has a superior launch and more airtime on its Top Hat. Its ferocity also increased with the addition of three inversions after the Top Hat, including a unique Flying Snake Dive inversion. Needless to say, Storm Runner is a more thrilling rush.

Top Thrill Dragster was an old competitor, but it has a nearly identical layout to Stealth, is twice as tall, and because it has just a lap bar, it is a far superior adrenalin rush. Basically TTD is a more intense ride than Stealth as well.

But, things aren’t all bad for Stealth. Unlike Storm Runner, it has a twisting vertical drop, and unlike TTD, it has an extra airtime hill before the brake run. Packing these elements in a small family park like Thorpe Park is very useful, given that it is built in Europe and broke records for that continent (Europe’s tallest and fastest launch coaster) when it first opened.

All in all, Stealth finds itself sitting in the shadows of its fellow rocket coasters, but it’s the kind of ride that can go down well with some patrons. If you’re stuck in England with a relatively low coaster count and are looking for an intimidating ride that isn’t totally over the top, would give you some bragging rights if you rode it, and packs a fairly hard punch, then Stealth might be the perfect ride for you.

Anaconda at Kings Dominion-Most people thinks it sucks, and it's really rough. But I only know one rough spot on the whole ride. There is no line, and you could ride it as much as you want since no one rides it

I think Talon at Dorney Park is very underrated. The coaster has everything a great invert needs. An awesome drop, forceful loop, great zero-g roll, a forceful Immelmann, 2 very strong helixs, and an airtime drop. This coaster is great and is very smooth and forceful. I still don't understand how people think this ride is forceless. I have never experienced a forceless ride on Talon.

My ranking for B&M inverts:

1. Talon

2. Alpengeist

3. Batman the Ride

4. Great Bear

Son Of Beast, best coaster at KI. I think that most people talk bad about it cause they don't know how to ride it. Ride in the front seat on the right. When going into the rose bowl, put your back against the seat, and your feet against the train. Sit right and hold on tight. Then once you hit MCB, put your hands up and do whatever.

^If a ride has instuctions that go outside the peramiters of "head back, feet flat, hold on tight", I try to avooid it.

Underrated coasters, IMO:

*Wildcat, Cedar Point-

Swartzkoph wild mouse.What more needs to be said? For something that looks like it belongs in a traveling fair, I misjudged this ride. It is something that kids, families, or in my case four jackass college kids on vacation can enjoy. Surprisingly enough that little thing provides plenty of

*Pony Express, Knott's Berry Farm-

Though it is being marketed to look like it's bigger, longer, and faster than it actually is, it is still a fun ride. A launch at 38mph may not seem so great statistically, the ride experience does in fact feel more intense. I don't think a ride of this length and magnitude would work in a larger park, but for 10 million bucks, I'd say Knott's delivered a ride that hits more than misses.

*Scream!, Six Flags Magic Mountain-

Though not as forceful or as unique as some of us enthusiasts would like, Scream is still an enjoyable ride. It never has a line and is still a capacity monster. If the wait is under 30 minutes, hop on!

*Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Disneyland-

What other coaster do you know that has a goat?

*Mr. Freeze, Six Flags Over Texas-

A lot of people throw stones at Premire rides due to the failure of Batman and Robin:The Chiller. Before riding this ride I would have been one of those people as well, but with waits longer than an hour and no downtime won me over. As an added bonus, the slight launch backwards makes the drop that much more intense. Sure I've been on faster, taller, and longer rides, but record breakers don't always mean the best if it lacks quality and uniqueness. This ride truly is the coolest coaster on the planet.