TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

Coaster probably isn't underrated just more under the radar, it seems everyone who has actually ridden it loves Coaster.

I'd love to see Vancouver again, hmmm. Though judging by the other coasters at Playland - I better make it the final destination of the trip.

I think the Flight of Fear coasters at KI and KD are underrated, though if they had OTSR's I'd hate them more than using Poison Ivy for toilet paper (yes there is someone famous who I read has done that by accident). FOF throws you around but I think it's a fast, fun, wild ride.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of my favorite rides that are under-rated, or maybe underappreciated is a better word, are Mindbender and Medusa (Bizzaro).

They are great unique, more so for Mindbender, rides in their different types and to me get lost in the mire of bigger, faster, more popular coasters like Millenium Force (Which is my favorite) and EGF, etc.

• 4 months later...

I onced noted that Timber Terror seems a bit underrated in comparison to Tremors. This is somewhat true, as they are both solid coasters. However, quite a number of people are vocal about preferring Timber Terror.

On to my main point...

It's become painfully obvious that both Tremors and Timber Terror are underrated. It's not that they're in bad spots on Mitch's Poll or other such places. It's just that they're apparently highly under-visited. Seriously, I was talking to a ride op on Saturday who said he doesn't see many visitors from TPR.

I'm really not sure how hard or out-of-the way this trip is in comparison to other coaster trips, as I'm one of a relatively small pool of enthusiasts who live in the road-trip zone for it. I know it's not exactly in "coaster country" like most of the other greats are, but it is totally worth the trip! I would recommend either doing a "Northwest Tour"--there are a couple examples here on TPR--or just a Spokane/Silverwood trip, as Spokane is a very appealing mid-sized city.

[/borderline-rant]

I would have to say that the most under-rated coaster I've been is without a doubt X *Colon* *Backslash* WTF, I mean, X:/ No Way Out. To be honest, it's not the most amazing coaster ever, but it is a fun ride. Backwards in the dark with little pops of airtime at the back (or is it the front) is quite a good combination. It gets a lot and I mean A LOT of crap, but I rather enjoy the little bugger! It's a good laugh!

Edited by jason10

I would have to say that the most under-rated coaster I've been is without a doubt X *Colon* *Backslash* WTF, I mean, X:/ No Way Out. To be honest, it's not the most amazing coaster ever, but it is a fun ride. Backwards in the dark with little pops of airtime at the back (or is it the front) is quite a good combination. It gets a lot and I mean A LOT of crap, but I rather enjoy the little bugger! It's a good laugh!

^Many people including myself would disagree.

^^Regarding Tremors and Timber Terror, when I rode last year I preferred Timber Terror. But a couple of locals told me that Tremors was not running as good late in the 2009 season.

Silverwood is a tough place for enthusiasts to get to as it is 5-6 hours away from any other parks. A lot of enthusiasts like doing 3-4 day weekend trips. Covering Oaks, Enchanted Forest, Wild Waves, Silverwood and Playland in that span involves a alot of driving.

Edited by larrygator

I consider nearly every coaster at Hersheypark to be underrated...well, except for Wildcat and Fahrenheit. Both of those underwhelmed me.

I would hardly consider Storm Runner underrated. It gets its (deserved) share of praise.

Colosus-SFMM. Its not a great airtime woodie, but theres some floater air in the back car, and its not that rough, especially cause its old. It is a classic. Also, Terminator may be under rated, but then again I've never been on a good wooden coaster before terminator, so that may be why I rate it so highly.

^Totally agree. I thought Colossus was perfectly decent, and not overly rough. There is indeed a reasonable amount of mild airtime, from what I recall. I wouldn't mind riding it again. But then again I love old wood, so that's just a given.

I vote for Shockwave (SFoT), Superman Krypton Coaster (SIFT), Steel Eel (SWSA), Terminator Salvation The Ride (SFMM), and Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket (UO).

I totally agree with Steel Eel, an air popping machine. It's my #1 steel.

Call me crazy but I just love the Hurler at Carowinds (not the Kings Dominion version, tooo painful) even though it opens later than the rest of the park I wait for it to open. I really like the speed, the over banked first turn and the bunny hop airtime hills it is just a fun ride for me. By the way being a former California resident at Halloween they run 1 train on Colossus backwards and in the dark, that is really fun.