TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Interesting... seeing that it goes right over the Marina Gate, does that make it...

Marina Gatekeer?

I feel like this is probably what is going to happen. After they redid the beach gate for Windseeker and the main gate for GateKeeper, this one seemed more dated than the one by Challenge Park (which I'm guessing will also probably get revamped at some point as well).

^It would be kinda funny if they announce a new triotech dark ride next saturday.

Call me stubborn, but I haven't ruled anything out for this announcement (though I hope it's what we've seen here - with an enclosed drop one of the two drops!)

Rumors (and these are just rumors for now) are floating around that the coaster will feature an 8 across seating pattern and the new vest harnesses.

That could be interesting on a DM.

No No No!!! I really hope the rumor is false. Those new restraints should be for wing coasters and wing coasters only. To maximise the feeling of airtime you must minimize restraint contact with a rider. having those big vest like restraints on a DM would completely remove the amazing B and M airtime from the drops. Just my opinion.

Rumors (and these are just rumors for now) are floating around that the coaster will feature an 8 across seating pattern and the new vest harnesses.

That could be interesting on a DM.

No No No!!! I really hope the rumor is false. Those new restraints should be for wing coasters and wing coasters only. To maximise the feeling of airtime you must minimize restraint contact with a rider. having those big vest like restraints on a DM would completely remove the amazing B and M airtime from the drops. Just my opinion.

That would explain the layout though, as the 8 across would have lower capacity than the 10 across and therefor require a shorter layout and ride time. Seems odd that they would make that sacrifice for a system that doesn't really improve the experience in anyway.

Height and speed are great! People sure do love that stuff!

But how about a world-class ride with unique "stuff"? A nice tunnel or two? A much needed pre-lift section? How about that splash-down effect Cedar Point still doesn't have? Trenches with a walk-over bridge? Some fake caves like the good old Demon at Great America? Trees? Surely we can get trees?

If the renderings are true, looks like the Point will be getting a fairly plane-jane coaster. Leave station -> turn to lift -> go up lift.... -> tall, downward sloping brake run (what a waste of energy!).

Sure, it will be fun and people will love it... but it would be nice if they came up with something truly stunning and unique. For example, Thunderbird at Holiday World blew my socks off; the few bells and whistles really make it! Cedar Point could do all that and more, but as a friend reminded me "they don't have to."

Just my 2 cents. (I know I know.. the park isn't there to build it for me and all that... )

Height and speed are great! People sure do love that stuff!

But how about a world-class ride with unique "stuff"? A nice tunnel or two? A much needed pre-lift section? How about that splash-down effect Cedar Point still doesn't have? Trenches with a walk-over bridge? Some fake caves like the good old Demon at Great America? Trees? Surely we can get trees?

If the renderings are true, looks like the Point will be getting a fairly plane-jane coaster. Leave station -> turn to lift -> go up lift.... -> tall, downward sloping brake run (what a waste of energy!).

Sure, it will be fun and people will love it... but it would be nice if they came up with something truly stunning and unique. For example, Thunderbird at Holiday World blew my socks off; the few bells and whistles really make it! Cedar Point could do all that and more, but as a friend reminded me "they don't have to."

Just my 2 cents. (I know I know.. the park isn't there to build it for me and all that... )

Nobody ever really expects theming out of Cedar Point. Doesn't bother me much. Visuals don't do much for me on coasters anyway.

I'm right there with you on all this! I still think some of that could be a part of Valravn, since what we've seen doesn't seem to include any non coaster details. One can hope, right?

On a related note has anybody seen that article that purports strongly that this is all a ruse, orchestrated by CP, and they're actually getting the dark ride? I forget what site ran it, and I'm not sure what TPR policy is regarding linking to other sites, but I could track it down again. This possibility is exactly why I've tried to maintain an open mind regarding the veracity of these "leaks", and the expectation of a coaster next year...

Nobody ever really expects theming out of Cedar Point.

I agree here... but how about tunnels and flying by stuff? A pre-lift? Those are not necessarily theme elements. They are just "cool and unique" things that people would enjoy and remember about the ride.

Visuals don't do much for me on coasters anyway.

Have you been on Thunderbird? If you rode Thunderbird and also rode a clone of Thunderbird - built on a parking lot, they would be equal experiences to you?

So I was thinking about this, and two things just seem a little strange to me.

1) I guess the original memo would have been misinformed then, given that it stated it would have a few elements that are missing here.

0a010f7bd591c48f82551842668247ea.png

Drop Into a tunnel-missing but could be possible given that there is no terrain shown so far

Immelman(Inversion 1)- Present

270 degree roll(Inversion 2) - Missing.

banked curve- Present. I assume this would refer to the curve up to the MCBR

looping(inversion 3)- Missing.

immelman with a half-roll exit(Inversion 4)- Present. Assuming this means that weird barrel roll helix manuever.

second drop-Present

camel back-Present

spiral- Present. Assuming it refers to the helix before the camalback

That leaves the dive loop thats in the animation. the 270 degree roll, or the "Looping" could be refering to this. Either way one of those two is still missing.

2) The lift track at the plant shows a box spine like gatekeepers. Unless this is a new design, it will have to form and arch and there for could not have a turn between the lift and the drop.

11822684_871551942929091_1135289759534477709_n.jpg?oh=3291fb08628e9daf82b611fa6dfc4823&oe=563C13E7

2) The lift track at the plant shows a box spine like gatekeepers. Unless this is a new design, it will have to form and arch and there for could not have a turn between the lift and the drop.

[/img]

Well, Fury forms an arch, Gatekeeper doesn't, but still has the track piece that goes in to the ground. If that's what you're getting at, I don't think the fact that the box support goes in to the ground matters.

So I was thinking about this, and two things just seem a little strange to me.

1) I guess the original memo would have been misinformed then, given that it stated it would have a few elements that are missing here.

0a010f7bd591c48f82551842668247ea.png

Drop Into a tunnel-missing but could be possible given that there is no terrain shown so far

Immelman(Inversion 1)- Present

270 degree roll(Inversion 2) - Missing.

banked curve- Present. I assume this would refer to the curve up to the MCBR

looping(inversion 3)- Missing.

immelman with a half-roll exit(Inversion 4)- Present. Assuming this means that weird barrel roll helix manuever.

second drop-Present

camel back-Present

spiral- Present. Assuming it refers to the helix before the camalback

That leaves the dive loop thats in the animation. the 270 degree roll, or the "Looping" could be refering to this. Either way one of those two is still missing.

11822684_871551942929091_1135289759534477709_n.jpg?oh=3291fb08628e9daf82b611fa6dfc4823&oe=563C13E7

Am I the only one who feels that Intamin track is sexy and B&M track is just kinda blah looking.

^^ Ok, we get it, you think B&M's are terrible and Intamin's are gods, this is getting more repetitive now than FaithPlus1's El Diablo bashing.

For the leaked layout, I like it, it takes everything that the other Dive machines do and then some more.

I leave TPR for a day and I come back to 10+ pages to skim through!

I already knew about the leaked layout, but I'm gonna take the time to post my thoughts.

I expected a little more but I'm certainly not disappointed. The second half looks fantastic with the dive loop (new), the Zero G Roll thingy (new), the helix (new) and the airtime hill (new for a dive coaster of this scale). I can't believe I'm saying this but for once it's the first half that looks a little weak for me and uninspired. It seems they did the same thing they did with Sheikra and Griffon, and I was hoping they'd do something a little more creative. Still though, the second half more than makes up for it. It's funny because usually the first half of a B&M is stellar only to have a weak second half haha. Being the "Gatekeeper of the Marina", it's going to look ridiculously photogenic just like Gatekeeper was/is. I really hope they go for the 8 car trains with the vest restraints over the 10 car trains with the OTSR's, because IMO B&M's OTSRS's are horribly designed with much of the restraint surrounding your head, which allows for a lot of headbanging on older rides. The vests eliminate this problem, and I'd rather wait a little longer for a better and more comfortable ride experience. I think CP has a winner on their hands, it's going to be like Griffon and Sheikra (which are both fantastic coasters) only better in every way (minus theming). I hope I get to ride this one day!

^^ Ok, we get it, you think B&M's are terrible and Intamin's are gods, this is getting more repetitive now than FaithPlus1's El Diablo bashing.

For the leaked layout, I like it, it takes everything that the other Dive machines do and then some more.

So I'm off the hook?!!! lmao Thanks to all involved I'd take a record breaking Dive Machine over a carnival ride I saw at the Ohio State Fair 3 days ago. Call me crazy but I think SFGADV deservers more. Maybe they will deliver this year?