TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Just a quick thought... With the lift being over 200 feet tall, and there being a possibility of a sligltly longer drop (if there is any kind of tunnel or ditch) - could that that possibly mean that first Immelmann could be taller than 170 feet? That would be around a 50' difference in height if the statistics are correct. Then they could claim it as being th tallest freestanding inversion on the planet. Another record they could push for this ride. I'm not sure how possible that may be. Or if it would create some fun hang time or become a bore with an unnecessary raised potential to valley... But nonetheless CP does enjoy breaking records!

Thanks for the overhead map placing the potential layout in context. If that indeed is the layout, it's an odd choice to put the drop in that location -- I would think they would want to place the actual drop somewhere near the midway walkway because it is always a great spot where people want to stop and watch the car hang, and then drop -- consider where the drops are placed on Griffon and Sheikra. Be interesting to see where everything is located.

I am going next thursday night/ friday/ part of saturday. We have platinum passes and are staying on site. I am wondering if flashpass is a good idea for the friday? Somewhere i read a tr saying that even flashpass lines were an hour long at some point. Kinda defeats the purpose. don't they limit number of fp's sold?

We are probably leaving before they make their announcement. Oh well i can find out later i guess. Do you get anything special for being there or just get to watch?

It appears someone has already made a recreation.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I personally think that this looks pretty sweet myself. Someone had mentioned that any park making an upcoming announcement after Dollywood's is going to be somewhat tame in comparison...and that seems like it very well hold true.

But when you look at the big picture and realize that this will be the biggest dive machine in the world along with the fact that both US dive machines are really, REALLY fun rides (and crowd eaters), I cannot see much in the way of disappointment.

Cedar Point will have one of, if not THE largest variety of coasters in the world...and people act like this is a bad thing?

There were folks complaining about Fast Lane Plus lines several pages back...don't you think that the addition of this coaster will help dissipate some of the heavy lines at the other popular coasters just a little bit?

^I agree!

I think that this is the perfect move for CP right now. Build another high capacity coaster, wait for RMC to keep coming out with more "crazy as bat shit" elements and THEN do the Mean Streak conversion a couple of years down the road.

^ It definitely gives off that vibe of being to the West side of the peninsula, what GateKeeper is to the East, and Main Gate! It will be crazy photogenic when you're driving up to The Point on the causeway!

Gatekeeper 2.0?!

Interesting... seeing that it goes right over the Marina Gate, does that make it...

Marina Gatekeer?

I feel like this is probably what is going to happen. After they redid the beach gate for Windseeker and the main gate for GateKeeper, this one seemed more dated than the one by Challenge Park (which I'm guessing will also probably get revamped at some point as well).

^It would be kinda funny if they announce a new triotech dark ride next saturday.

Call me stubborn, but I haven't ruled anything out for this announcement (though I hope it's what we've seen here - with an enclosed drop one of the two drops!)

Rumors (and these are just rumors for now) are floating around that the coaster will feature an 8 across seating pattern and the new vest harnesses.

That could be interesting on a DM.

No No No!!! I really hope the rumor is false. Those new restraints should be for wing coasters and wing coasters only. To maximise the feeling of airtime you must minimize restraint contact with a rider. having those big vest like restraints on a DM would completely remove the amazing B and M airtime from the drops. Just my opinion.

Rumors (and these are just rumors for now) are floating around that the coaster will feature an 8 across seating pattern and the new vest harnesses.

That could be interesting on a DM.

No No No!!! I really hope the rumor is false. Those new restraints should be for wing coasters and wing coasters only. To maximise the feeling of airtime you must minimize restraint contact with a rider. having those big vest like restraints on a DM would completely remove the amazing B and M airtime from the drops. Just my opinion.

That would explain the layout though, as the 8 across would have lower capacity than the 10 across and therefor require a shorter layout and ride time. Seems odd that they would make that sacrifice for a system that doesn't really improve the experience in anyway.

Height and speed are great! People sure do love that stuff!

But how about a world-class ride with unique "stuff"? A nice tunnel or two? A much needed pre-lift section? How about that splash-down effect Cedar Point still doesn't have? Trenches with a walk-over bridge? Some fake caves like the good old Demon at Great America? Trees? Surely we can get trees?

If the renderings are true, looks like the Point will be getting a fairly plane-jane coaster. Leave station -> turn to lift -> go up lift.... -> tall, downward sloping brake run (what a waste of energy!).

Sure, it will be fun and people will love it... but it would be nice if they came up with something truly stunning and unique. For example, Thunderbird at Holiday World blew my socks off; the few bells and whistles really make it! Cedar Point could do all that and more, but as a friend reminded me "they don't have to."

Just my 2 cents. (I know I know.. the park isn't there to build it for me and all that... )

Height and speed are great! People sure do love that stuff!

But how about a world-class ride with unique "stuff"? A nice tunnel or two? A much needed pre-lift section? How about that splash-down effect Cedar Point still doesn't have? Trenches with a walk-over bridge? Some fake caves like the good old Demon at Great America? Trees? Surely we can get trees?

If the renderings are true, looks like the Point will be getting a fairly plane-jane coaster. Leave station -> turn to lift -> go up lift.... -> tall, downward sloping brake run (what a waste of energy!).

Sure, it will be fun and people will love it... but it would be nice if they came up with something truly stunning and unique. For example, Thunderbird at Holiday World blew my socks off; the few bells and whistles really make it! Cedar Point could do all that and more, but as a friend reminded me "they don't have to."

Just my 2 cents. (I know I know.. the park isn't there to build it for me and all that... )

Nobody ever really expects theming out of Cedar Point. Doesn't bother me much. Visuals don't do much for me on coasters anyway.

I'm right there with you on all this! I still think some of that could be a part of Valravn, since what we've seen doesn't seem to include any non coaster details. One can hope, right?

On a related note has anybody seen that article that purports strongly that this is all a ruse, orchestrated by CP, and they're actually getting the dark ride? I forget what site ran it, and I'm not sure what TPR policy is regarding linking to other sites, but I could track it down again. This possibility is exactly why I've tried to maintain an open mind regarding the veracity of these "leaks", and the expectation of a coaster next year...