TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Now that they fixed the uncomfortableness on 2 of their Great rides, is there anyway that they can get B&M to come over and do the same thing to Magnum that they did to Steel Dragon 2000? Think about a B&M train on that!

The same trains that were fitted to Steel Dragon 2000 would not work on Magnum. Magnum was manufactured by Arrow, and SD2K by Morgan. Magnum's track is such that the trains' wheels are on the inside of the rails, whereas on SD2K they are on the outside, like every B&M.

Oh.... Are there any other manufacturers who could make more comfortable trains? Ones who use the same design for the wheels as Arrow did? I just considered it as Cedar Point seems to be making coasters smoother and more popular now. Which is a good thing.

Thank you, I figured that the people talking were those wierd stand-up coaster fans

Hey! I'm one of those weird stand-up coaster fans! We're not weird... right guys?!

In all seriousness, while I really liked Mantis, I'm looking forward to riding Rougarou. With that same awesome layout I have a feeling it will be way better than most of B&M's other floorless coasters and this way more people can enjoy the ride!

Now that they fixed the uncomfortableness on 2 of their Great rides, is there anyway that they can get B&M to come over and do the same thing to Magnum that they did to Steel Dragon 2000? Think about a B&M train on that!

It's unlikely, but I think it would be a shame if they changed the trains. Those trains are gorgeous, and a part of coaster history, keeping the 80's alive in that park much like Gemini's station and trains are a throwback to the 70's. With the exception of the abrupt ending, I never found Magnum's trains or restraints to be painful at all. A refurb wouldn't be bad, but I'd hate to see those trains go!

A lot of people say that Skyrush at Hersheypark is the most painful coaster on the legs, but I disagree, Magnum at CP is the most painful on the legs. That stupid lap bar made it a very uncomfortable ride for me. But regardless of the pain, I still love both coasters.

I just got back home form my very first visit to Cedar Point, and... WOW. Seriously.

Back on topic... I read up about the seat belt thing on Magnum and it totally worked. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the ride. A couple shaky spots here and there, and the lap bars aren't great, but... for being as old as it is, and an Arrow coaster, it's pretty fun. Definitely a lot easier to ride than Desperado, which is 5 years younger and twice as painful (and has been for a decade).

As a gigantic fan of Magnum, I would still be totally in favor of Premier overhauling the trains, much like they did for Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge. I love the coaster to death, but I think it would be a win if more people were able to enjoy it more easily. Keep the 3-bench trains and chassis so that capacity isn't effected, and re-do the actual seats and bodies. I imagine a lower profile, more modern looking train that still has the retro look to it with the spacey looking moldings and decals.

Or, ya know, just upgrade the current trains to the ones that Adventure Express has - those lapbars don't fall down onto riders and actually pop up when they're released.

Enthusiasts are such babies when it comes to arrows. Unlike coasters of today, Magnum was bent and welded together on site with no assistance from computers. B&M has computers do most of the work and still cant avoid headbanging and rattle after a few years.

Really, if after 26 years all you can complain about is how balls-to-the-wall crazy the airtime is, you need to find a new coaster to pick on. That is also the airtime after it has been trimmed.

Tightening the seat belt as much as possible sounds like it would make the airtime more painful, but since it's working for the rest of you, I guess I'll try it on my upcoming trip.

To any park locals, would it be worth getting Fast Lane Plus on Thursday, June 11th?

I have a few questions about my trip in about a week...

I'm going from June 8th - June 10th. We have free admission after 4pm on June 8th (that's when we are arriving at the island). What are the crowds going to be like?

Also, how cold is the water from Shoot the Rapids?

My mom is the fannypack person...can she wear the fannypack on all rides?

Tightening the seat belt as much as possible sounds like it would make the airtime more painful, but since it's working for the rest of you, I guess I'll try it on my upcoming trip.

I haven't tried that yet but I guess the idea is that (if they're tight) during the airtime moments it's the seatbelt that holds you in place and not the painful lap bars.

I really don't find any problems with Magnum hurting me. Sure it has crazy airtime and you're plastered to the restraint a little but it's nothing you can't handle. It's the same thing with Skyrush; everyone wants a coaster with crazy airtime but then when it happens, they all complain.

I have a few questions about my trip in about a week...

I'm going from June 8th - June 10th. We have free admission after 4pm on June 8th (that's when we are arriving at the island). What are the crowds going to be like?

Also, how cold is the water from Shoot the Rapids?

My mom is the fannypack person...can she wear the fannypack on all rides?

I can't tell anyone what crowds are going to be like on any specific day, but given your dates and that you are staying for a few days, you shouldn't have any issue with seeing and doing everything (unless the weather is poor, of course).

The water on the water rides will most likely be cold due to the long winter we had in this area. Thunder Canyon gets it's water from Lake Erie, so that will undoubtedly be cold. Shoot The Rapids should be a touch warmer and if it's a hot day, it will feel good regardless.

Lastly, your Mom should be fine with the fannypack as long as it is properly secured.

The one huge pain in the butt about CP is the "Fluffy Bunnies". I probably spent 15 or 20 bucks on them throughout the day, and then didn't have any of my stuff with me for most of it. Because the park is so huge, it's really a pain to try and go retrieve anything, only to have to go put it back for another ride.

My suggestion would be some kind of transferable rental where you pay a little more money than a standard rental. but you can take your stuff with you when you're done with one ride, and then put it in a different "Fluffy Bunny" later when you need to.

I will be going to the park for coastermania this week and was wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions. Ive been to the park in 2012 and 2013 but ive never done an event like such so I just would like to know what to expect [emoji5]️.

Also one more question, i have about $125 dollars worth of visa gift cards so i was just wondering if i could use those cards to buy my tickets and food.

Thanks!

^Well, for CoasterMania, get to check in early. There was for the past two years a pretty large line. So, maybe get to CP by like 5am maybe a little later. $125 should be enough for that day. If you count like $60 dollars to get in then you already get a free breakfast (usually donuts and OJ when you enter the park) and a free lunch..well all you need is money for dinner so like a little under $20. Maybe a few snacks during the day. And if I were you, get the $8 drink wristband for the event, worth it. You should be good money wise.

Other than that, Millennium always has the longest wait for the ERT morning session and then TTD in the night session. The night session ERT always seems to have a lot shorter lines. I was able to marathon Maverick 5+ times and still get on TTD and Magnum. I feel like most people don't stay for the night ERT when I feel it's the best.

I can't think of anymore tips as of right now for the event. Have fun and see you there!

ohhh, I can't imagine ERT on TTD. Ive only had the pleasure to launch 120+ mph twice (once on TTD and KK), and they were both under 4 second experiences. I don't think I (unlike others) would be able to pass up either of these two accelerators ever - they bring such a rush.

Then again, I've only been to the Point once, in 2009.

The webcams disappeared from the site

Now I can't creep on the guests and watch my favorite coasters remotely from 250 miles away.

It's still not up as of tonight. I guess they didn't want to show how bad the weather was today. It's getting nasty and cold for Coastermania. We've had too many nice days in the past for this event.

I need some opinions on lodging! I'm heading up with a group of 5 in mid-June (dates still unsure but looking at the week of 6/15-19) and need some help on hotels. We are all trying to stick to $180 per person max for the room which after dividing the total room cost of Breakers is about what it equals to (it includes 2 Days ride and slide). I have personally stayed at Hotel Breakers before the renovation, just for convenience sake but wasn't too impressed with the outdated room. However that was with family and this particular trip is with just a group of guys. We also decided onsite hotels are the best option for the perks (parking voucher, early entry, etc) So my questions are:

1) Should we stick with budget-conscious Breakers Express, the conveniently located Hotel Breakers, or is there a better on-site hotel

2) If we chose Breakers Express, has anyone stayed there before? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!