TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I also forgot Corkscrew. Demon at Six Flags Great America is 42" - Why does Corkscrew have to be 48" ???

I really do like Cedar Point, but this is one issue that has long been a pet peeve of mine there.

At least TGIF doesn't have a height restriction!

Well it kind of does. You have to be high to want to eat there. Lol

I also forgot Corkscrew. Demon at Six Flags Great America is 42" - Why does Corkscrew have to be 48" ???

I really do like Cedar Point, but this is one issue that has long been a pet peeve of mine there.

At least TGIF doesn't have a height restriction!

Well it kind of does. You have to be high to want to eat there. Lol

Another thing that we noticed, was that the height measuring stations at the 2 parks were different. She was actually an inch taller at six flags, than what she was at cedar point. She had on the same shoes at both parks.

Something typically occurs where throughout the course of a day of lots of walking, children can actually shrink. If you went to CP right after SF, it's possible the day of walking at SF made her shrink a bit. I've measured kids in the morning then later in the day and it's actually quite obvious that their height changed. Sometimes it's even up to an inch and a half differential. We get lots of complaints about this with parents saying their child rode the ride earlier that day, when they are actually shorter than our height stand. This is mostly why we distribute wrist bands, so we know the child was tall enough at the beginning of the day.

I definitely understand the problems with height requirements between parks. It seems ridiculous that a certain coaster has one height restriction, then the same model at a different company has a different requirement. Theme parks aren't all run and controlled by one person or one company. It's just the way it is, the owner of the coaster is the one with the final say about their own concerns on safety. Cedar Point obviously has a greater concern for safety. This is why every single coaster at CP has a seat belt. This is why the height requirements appear to be higher than in other parks. Cedar Point is very concerned with safety and they would absolutely sacrifice an element of customer service in the interest of safety precautions.

The thing was, all the measurements were taken first thing as we entered the parks. For example.....We went on a multi park trip on the way to florida last summer. First parks were cedarpoint and kings island. She was measured at just under 47 inches tall at both those parks. But when we went to six flags, dollywood, wild adventures, Disney, and busch gardens, she was just over 48 inches tall. All with the same shoes on and all at the opening of the parks in the morning.

This leads me to belive that it's an issue with cedarfair and there measuring sticks.

^That is peculiar indeed. I wouldn't really know about that since I do not have a child myself. I've also never really taken a measuring tape to our height stands...

Does Cedar Point have any special 'late arrival' rate? Obviously if I don't get to the park until 6pm I won't get nearly the amount of use out of it that somebody who arrives at 9am would get, so one would think there might be some kind of price break.
^You might want to try taking advantage of the search engine on your computer.

Philrad71, those rates you listed are only for Halloweekends...

First off, I believe Cedar Point no longer offers starlight tickets. I'm not too sure because it is not listed on the website, but I think you might still be able to at the gate.

Secondly, the best place to get information about the park is not this forum. Just call the park yourself...they know exactly what they offer. (419-627-2350)

I think it would be cool if CP began to bring back rides from yesteryear, or even create a section of the park that is dedicated to CP history with re-creations of old rides and attractions. I don't know how possible that would be but it would be really cool.

This leads me to belive that it's an issue with cedarfair and there measuring sticks.

As for Cedar Point, the sticks are almost as perfect as they can get. I envied their height sticks actually. So neat how they have a park-wide system of colors to categorize each height restriction category. If anything, the sticks give smaller riders a microscopic advantage especially towards the end of the season after they have scrapped the pavement one too many times. However, CP in particular is quick to pick up on these and gets them replaced as frequently as needed making sure they are almost always spot on. The backlash over the accuracy of height sticks or the "swivel stands" as I call them would be massive if a park the size of the typical Cedar Fair kind was using measuring devices taller than they should be.

Guests are extraordinarily skeptical and quick to criticize measuring device accuracy. I have had a guest pull out a tape measure from their purse in rage thinking Ravine Flyer II's height sign was above 48", she didn't like the result especially when I assisted her to correctly make sure the tape measure was against the sign and not slightly diagonal to make it appear 49". Another great height dispute happened with Music Express this past year where it happened to be the same day I spent the morning measuring and verifying the height signs on every ride. As I was getting cussed at for several minutes, I realized the tape measure was still in my pocket so I suggested we take a 15ft walk to measure the sign together. He walked away as fast as I could turn my head to show him the perfect sign. In the end, guests are very skeptical and questioning of measuring devices at rides as it is, so it is in no park's best interest to post a misleading height sign or use a "tall" stick.

Edited by ajfelice

I think it would be cool if CP began to bring back rides from yesteryear, or even create a section of the park that is dedicated to CP history with re-creations of old rides and attractions. I don't know how possible that would be but it would be really cool.

I would rather see CP tear down some of their terrible rides and ask Gerstlauer, Intamin, GCI etc to take some classic back to life or recreate some great rides just like how Knoebels do. Build a Shuttle Loop with Intamin LSM, Crustal Beach Cyclone with GCI's technology, Eagle's Fortress with Intamin's fixing etc.

^That is peculiar indeed. I wouldn't really know about that since I do not have a child myself. I've also never really taken a measuring tape to our height stands...

Does Cedar Point have any special 'late arrival' rate? Obviously if I don't get to the park until 6pm I won't get nearly the amount of use out of it that somebody who arrives at 9am would get, so one would think there might be some kind of price break.
^You might want to try taking advantage of the search engine on your computer.

Philrad71, those rates you listed are only for Halloweekends...

First off, I believe Cedar Point no longer offers starlight tickets. I'm not too sure because it is not listed on the website, but I think you might still be able to at the gate.

Secondly, the best place to get information about the park is not this forum. Just call the park yourself...they know exactly what they offer. (419-627-2350)

You are correct, that was for Halloweekends. I assumed that it was just because they hadn't updated that portion of the website for 2014 and that was the last event before the park closed for the season.

CP has always had Starlite for as long as I can remember (maybe came out in the 80's?) and I don't see any reason why they would get rid of it now as it is additional revenue for the park. It draws in locals (who don't have season passes) & people that get to the hotels/campgrounds on Friday evening to stay the weekends.

As you said, the best thing would be to call the park directly and ask them, or just watch for updates on the website as opening day draws closer.

Mean Streak is really the only one. Mantis always has a long line, Corkscrew is still pretty popular and there's really nothing wrong with Cedar Creek mine ride. It's a decent family coaster and Cedar Point needs family coasters. The height requirement is an issue though.

Just because enthusiasts don't like a coaster doesn't mean it should be torn down. All you need to do is look at the lines for rides like Mantis, Iron Dragon and even Corkscrew which puts up impressive ridership numbers to see that a lot of people still enjoy them. Mean Streak never really has a line ad while it puts up decent numbers it's not even close to what it could do with a RMC treatment.

I really wanna see CP build an observation coaster. It's a good way to bring families back to the park with an observation tower and increase the park coaster count. The park can also surpass the 500 foot barrier like the one in Florida. They dont seem to take up that much space either.

I would rather see CP tear down some of their terrible rides and ask Gerstlauer, Intamin, GCI etc to take some classic back to life or recreate some great rides just like how Knoebels do. Build a Shuttle Loop with Intamin LSM, Crustal Beach Cyclone with GCI's technology, Eagle's Fortress with Intamin's fixing etc.

Funny you said that. Whenever I look at a picture of the Crystal Beach Cyclone - I ALWAYS wish someone could re-create it today so it wouldn't try to kill you. For some reason, that particular ride has always intrigued me.

^It could also be the only way of breaking a big record again as they have almost run out of coaster types to put in the park. The only ones I can think of immediately are flying coasters and 4d ones.

I like the direction the park has gone where they seem to be focusing on quality rides rather than rides that are designed specifically to break records.

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a coaster with a 500 foot drop, but I doubt it will be Cedar Point. The most likely coaster type to do this is clearly an Intamin rocket coaster but since Cedar Point already has Dragster they would need to get more creative if they ever wanted to break this record without building something incredibly redundant (plus, their maintenance team would go on strike if they built another rocket coaster).

Like I said I don't see Cedar Point going for this record, but if they really wanted to I wonder if they could do it with a B&M Dive coaster. What I'm picturing is a coaster with a 500 foot dive that basically does very little else (much like Krake, Oblivion or Diving Machine G5 but on a much larger scale). This is really more of a fantasy concept than something I ever see being built but I wonder if it's possible without being so expensive that it could never be justified.

I wish Cedar Point would go in the same direction as they did with Maverick. Not a record breaking coaster but just a unique project. A new innovative ride in the amusement industry. By the way, I'm new

I agree completely but couldn't resist daydreaming about ridiculous coaster concepts that will never happen

Welcome to TPR!

^It could also be the only way of breaking a big record again as they have almost run out of coaster types to put in the park. The only ones I can think of immediately are flying coasters and 4d ones.

I like the direction the park has gone where they seem to be focusing on quality rides rather than rides that are designed specifically to break records.

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a coaster with a 500 foot drop, but I doubt it will be Cedar Point. The most likely coaster type to do this is clearly an Intamin rocket coaster but since Cedar Point already has Dragster they would need to get more creative if they ever wanted to break this record without building something incredibly redundant (plus, their maintenance team would go on strike if they built another rocket coaster).

Like I said I don't see Cedar Point going for this record, but if they really wanted to I wonder if they could do it with a B&M Dive coaster. What I'm picturing is a coaster with a 500 foot dive that basically does very little else (much like Krake, Oblivion or Diving Machine G5 but on a much larger scale). This is really more of a fantasy concept than something I ever see being built but I wonder if it's possible without being so expensive that it could never be justified.

I would love to see CP get a Dive Coaster, but not like you described. CP already has their one trick pony Coaster. If they were to get a Dive Coaster I'd like to see them do a unique layout, maybe 200 feet tall. And maybe break the record for inversions on a Dive to give them a little more to market.

^^ If they made a dive coaster slightly taller than the other ones (let's say around 230 ft) and featured a loop it could be the world's tallest one too. Given that CP already has the world's tallest inversion having the biggest loop would be nice. And it's not that it would be hard to break the record for inversions in a dive machine either.

Lake Erie Shores and Islands has a blog that posts information about Cedar Point admission prices. Here's the link to 2013 -

http://askshoresandislands.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/what-are-the-admission-prices-for-cedar-points-2013-operating-season/

I would consider the regional tourism bureau a legitimate enough source for this and say that they still offer a Starlight ticket.

To start a new conversation, what do you think CP will get for 2015?

I think Soak City needs an expansion. I mean it's nice for people staying at the resorts other than that it's not great. I think they need a water park expansion if the want to attract one day visitors. Does anyone agree?

To start a new conversation, what do you think CP will get for 2015?

I think Soak City needs an expansion. I mean it's nice for people staying at the resorts other than that it's not great. I think they need a water park expansion if the want to attract one day visitors. Does anyone agree?

Do many people go to CP for the sole purpose of going to soak city? I know many families that go for multiple days get the pass but I don't know about people going for one day for Soak City.