TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

I still dont understand the access passes. Friends have sent me pics of super long lines of waiting for access passes. Defeats the purpose

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

OK these are freaking cool. https://cedarpointonlineshop.com/

Made it out to Cedar Point this past weekend, October 17th-18th with my mom and dad to visit my sister working at the park. My sister works at Dorney, but since they closed early, a bunch of full time

Posted Images

I still dont understand the access passes. Friends have sent me pics of super long lines of waiting for access passes. Defeats the purpose

You stand in a long line for 20 minutes to get a pass instead of a 3 hour line to ride the attraction. Most times when you return with your pass, wait is less than a half hour. This doesn't always work out due to shutdowns, etc. but that's the idea.

It also encourages spending money since you don't have to stand in a 3 hour line.

Other than Rise of the Resistance style boarding groups which they don't have the tech to do there's no good way to handle Dragster this year and I have no intention of attempting to ride it if we end up there unless we just happen to walk by and get a pass and it somehow works out for us.

I guess they're just doing this because it's the least bad option but you can't do return times for a ride that spends 50% of the day down mechanical and not expect 2 hour lines while it's actually operating.

Pretty much.

I should also clarify that I'm glad that Dragster is open because if you really, really, really want to ride it you have that option but nobody should expect the process to be quick or work as intended when the ride breaks down once an hour.

:lol: Pretty much.

I should also clarify that I'm glad that Dragster is open because if you really, really, really want to ride it you have that option but nobody should expect the process to be quick or work as intended when the ride breaks down once an hour.

I must of got lucky. I had a 3 train wait and got front row 2 weeks ago.

Also has anyone told you or did you already buy the sky ride shirt that they sell?

You worried too much about missing your window. Those windows are pretty flexible, at least when we went.

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the best plan for the boarding pass thing if you don't care about Dragster? Get there at 10, get in line for a Vengeance boarding pass, then a Maverick one, then a Millennium one? Is there any chance of striking out on Millennium with that plan? If so then screw Vengeance.

Also, am I correct that they're still doing stand-by until noon and they don't care if you're late for your return time?

Edited by coasterbill

You can prob get a SV pass, then Mav, then walk over to MF, get a pass and hopefully jump in line at MF for a ride before noon.

If you want Dragster and can be one of the first few to get a pass when they start, you can probably start there. Then wrap around and get Steel Vengeance, etc.

If you head straight to Vengeance after the gates open, you should be able to get passes for all three rides. If you happen to miss out on a Millennium pass, they distribute more passes at 3:30. They do allow walk-ups until noon, and they may allow them for the last hour (7 to 8) if the line isn’t too long. Don’t know for sure if they accept late passes during normal ops but they will take it later if there’s any downtime during your time slot.

I was there on Saturday and got there at 11. I went straight to Millennium Force and waited 20 minutes as the line was socially distanced down the ramp and through one or two switchbacks. When I got off, I got back in line and again waited 20 minutes... so you may be able to get your SV and Maverick passes and then just ride MF without a pass. Just a thought. Also note that they are assigning seats (you can ask for front or back though I think).

I was really only at the park to buy some of the cool "vintage" t-shirts they had and ride Cedar Downs (which also has a t-shirt!. Mission accomplished as Sky Ride was down due to winds. Ended up riding Cadillac Cars instead. But I will say that the park handled everything very well. Entry was a breeze, MOST people were standing on the social distance markers in the line areas, and while mask use was pretty lousy (lots of chin straps), park employees were trying their best to yell at those folks to put them on right.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm assuming Sky Ride and a bunch of other stuff will be down for staffing but if not, awesome. We're going out there for Kings Island but stopping by Cedar Point because it breaks up the drive a little and if I get to ride Millennium Force even once I'll take it in this disaster of a year.

Edited by coasterbill

So, I'll definitely write more about my experience later, but I visited the park over the weekend and I could not possibly recommend anyone go there right now. Like, seriously, if I had another flight scheduled there, I'd take advantage of the low cost or zero change fees most airlines are offering and go somewhere else.

They absolutely do not let riders in until noon. I'm not sure if this is a recent development but the operators told us yesterday that Millennium Force has a max of 350 riders they'll let into the queue before access passes are mandatory. I'm not sure if this is the same for every ride. On Sunday (yesterday), that 350 limit was reached at 11:20 AM, but luckily we got one ride on it beforehand. Access passes for the 11AM hand-out time were gone by the time we got off our first ride at 11:20 AM. On Saturday we tried getting to Maverick at about 11:30 AM and were denied there, too, but snagged literally the last 3 access passes for the morning.

As far as Steel Vengeance goes, we rode once the entire weekend. People towards the back of both the morning and afternoon access pass lines missed out on passes. Everywhere we went was allowing a maximum of 15 minute window after your hour, then denying you. For example, if you didn't get in by 4:15 for a 3pm-4pm access pass, you were SOL. Some things at the end of the night were very arbitrary and inconsistent. Steel Vengeance let riders stand aside the entrance after 7PM to "maybe" get in. Maverick wouldn't even let riders with access passes in at 7:15 PM from the 6pm-7pm hour and had the line closed at 7:15 PM when the park closed at 8pm. Some random rides like Mangnum were letting people in as late as 7:45 PM when we gave up and left.

The B&Ms all had 2-3 hour lines. The parking lot was about 7-8 rows deep. Not super busy but not dead either.

Yikes, thanks for the write up.

Alright so then I’m just going to Maverick immediately, then Millennium (and I’ll hop in the queue if I can once I get the pass) and then if we get Vengeance later for the afternoon drop great, if not... whatever. I assume if you get to Vengeance elite an hour before they drop the afternoon passes you’re probably fine, right?

Again, I’m not expecting to ride much. If I get on Millennium, Maverick and Raptor and have a few beers whatever... I expect a total disaster.

Is the front of the park still dead at the end of the night?

Edited by coasterbill

You have proper expectations.

That Raptor line was always the longest in the park every day I've visited this year. Hit it early if you can, obv. Get over there after your early MF ride.

A couple weeks ago when I went, lines did seem to start forming 45-60 min early for afternoon passes. You should be fine.

Why are the lines for the B&M's so ridiculous? Other parks don't have this problem if they're loading all rows and limiting park capacity. Wild Eagle is rolling half empty trains daily all season long despite being really popular for all of those reasons, meanwhile Gatekeeper... lol

^I have no idea. We went to Hershey on Thursday and it seemed busier than Cedar Point in terms of total guests but the only thing with a long line was Candymonium. We didn’t even bother getting fast track. We waited 2-3 trains for Skyrush and Fahrenheit and that was it.

They also had pre-selected seats that were closed. So like parties of 3 (us) had to split up on B&Ms which is totally stupid. We didn’t ride Valravn due to 2-hour posted queue and we saw a train with literally 2 guests in the middle row while it was that full. We didn’t even check to see wtf was going on.

Yikes, thanks for the write up.

Alright so then I’m just going to Maverick immediately, then Millennium (and I’ll hop in the queue if I can once I get the pass) and then if we get Vengeance later for the afternoon drop great, if not... whatever. I assume if you get to Vengeance elite an hour before they drop the afternoon passes you’re probably fine, right?

Again, I’m not expecting to ride much. If I get on Millennium, Maverick and Raptor and have a few beers whatever... I expect a total disaster.

Is the front of the park still dead at the end of the night?

I’d recommend getting to the park an hour early and absolutely hauling ass to Maverick. Then do the same to get to Millennium Force and you might get lucky and get one of the last 3pm-4pm passes. Another thing that’s incredibly frustrating is that if a ride is experiencing technical issues, they’ll either not start pass distribution until it’s up or if it is up then goes down, they stop distribution until it’s open again. So like, say Steel Vengeance is down at opening and doesn’t start running until noon, pass distribution won’t begin until noon.

And yup, I’d absolutely get to Steel Vengeance with a few beers an hour before 3:30 distribution. On Saturday afternoon, the Steel Vengeance access pass line was backed up to Gemini. I promise I’m not exaggerating.

The front the park was insanely busy still at closing this past weekend. We were over it and left about 10-15 minutes before park closing. Raptor’s queue was posted at 2 hours and full, no longer letting guests in. Magnum was still letting people in when we walked by a few minutes prior. Gatekeeper was still letting guests into its 2-hour posted queue. The Sky Ride randomly started running right at closing.

They also had pre-selected seats that were closed.

Yeah, that explains everything (except Gatekeeper, nothing explains Gatekeeper).

So then if you have 3 not only is it split up and social distanced but the person sitting alone can't have anyone sit next to them either because they're not in your group? Great Adventure does that sh*t on their frisbee now. It's actually maddening to watch.

^Exactly. And even high capacity rides like Millennium Force have rows blocked off, so the other person in your party will be 2 rows away and that pushes back the next party as well.

Hersheypark’s method was just “one party per row”. This makes the process go much faster.

^ YES! I wish the rule was just “one party per row” - maybe make an exception for Valravn. The set in stone blocked seats were adding insult to injury most of the time.

I was also told by a manager when I went earlier this month that the rides close every 30 minutes for cleaning, but I swear it was more like every 15-20 - just enough for each train to MAYBE get three cycles in before the line was standstill for the next 10-15 minutes. Maybe those 10-15 minutes count toward the signal of the next cleaning break But what others have said, don’t go expecting to ride much and try not to get super aggravated by the operations. Take some beer breaks and try to relax.

I also just kept reminding myself that I bought a Platinum pass this year solely because it was good for all of next year too. This year was really just a bonus for me, so whatever I was able to get in was all gravy.

I did the resort gate at 10am, SV, Maverick, MF pass loop and got all three without issue, plus a bonus standby ride on MF. Thats the best action plan IMO.

Two Fridays ago, I was able to hit Steel Vengeance at 11, get a Maverick access pass, get a Millennium access pass, get a Dragster access pass, get a Steel Vengeance access pass (one of the last ones), and ride Steel Vengeance two more times with standby in the first hour. I was at Breakers, which allowed me to use the resort gate and be on one of the first Vengeance trains.

The return line for Maverick took us an hour at 12:15 and it only got longer. For us, the wait started at the enclosed part of the queue. Later in the day, I saw the queue spilled into the midway and the return wait time was listed at 2 hours.

Millennium's return line reached 90 minutes by the end of the day so that queue didn't reopen at 7. But on the bright side, they will still let 3 groups wait for the front so that was the shortest wait I've ever had for the front row midday upon reaching the station.

Steel Vengeance's return line was only 20-30 minutes from what I saw.

Gotta love how the webcams are changed during the season. Right now you've got a view of the Marina with Valravn, Raptor, and Blue Streak in the corner as well as a view of just the launch track of TTD with 75% of the Iron Dragon layout and a lot of Rougarou. Interesting choices.

They move the cameras often. Most of the season one has been pointed at the parking lot more often than not.