TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

Email sent by Cedar Point:

Ahoy, Passholders! Visit Soak City Water Park THIS Thursday night from 6:00-8:00 p.m. to celebrate what's in store for 2017!

Full details on exciting new additions coming May of 2017

Late slide time on select Soak City Water Park attractions

Exclusive DEALS on 2017 Platinum Passes, valid one night only!

FREE hot dogs, refreshments, and more!

LIVE entertainment from the Toes In The Sand Band and a Live DJ

You won't want to miss this FREE event for ALL Passholders (both Regular and Platinum)* but hurry, space is limited so RSVP at the link below in order to attend.

Sounds a lot like Kings Island's announcement last year.

Email sent by Cedar Point:

Ahoy, Passholders! Visit Soak City Water Park THIS Thursday night from 6:00-8:00 p.m. to celebrate what's in store for 2017!

Full details on exciting new additions coming May of 2017

Late slide time on select Soak City Water Park attractions

Exclusive DEALS on 2017 Platinum Passes, valid one night only!

FREE hot dogs, refreshments, and more!

LIVE entertainment from the Toes In The Sand Band and a Live DJ

You won't want to miss this FREE event for ALL Passholders (both Regular and Platinum)* but hurry, space is limited so RSVP at the link below in order to attend.

Sounds a lot like Kings Island's announcement last year.

That it does. My inner optimism is hoping that this announcement is just a precursor and we'll see a mean streak announcement the same time as the closing ceremony. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see

"FREE hot dogs, refreshments, and more!"

I'm always curious when a park adds in "and more." Other than possible free season passes

and/or tickets, the free food and refreshments is covered. As is the entertainment.

So what could "and more" possibly mean? Just curious of me.

"And more" could be anything. You just have to let your mind race and go to places that it's never gone before to think of what 'and more' could be.

My guess would be that they'll give away stuff for people that are there.

^^ At my age, letting my mind race and go to places that it's never gone to before...

Been there. Done that. And still doing it, unintentionally, from time to time.

I'm sure there could be possible t-shirts and souvenirs given away, etc.

And bug spray.

Bugnetsuit.jpg.6e366854cf959e391b4132ac2969628a.jpg

How about giving THESE away, CP?

How would you feel about them adding standup trains to the existing Mean Streak and marketing it as a new coaster?

Only SIX could do something as boneheaded as that.

Six Flags is sinking even lower than that... They're adding VR to an SLC.

How would you feel about them adding standup trains to the existing Mean Streak and marketing it as a new coaster?

Only SIX could do something as boneheaded as that.

Six Flags is sinking even lower than that... They're adding VR to an SLC.

That makes me cringe.

After many moons of waiting, Google Maps (online version) has finally added an updated satellite image of Cedar Point that includes GateKeeper! It must be from last fall, because it was after construction on Valravn had begun (the start of the lift hill was up), but before the removal of the GoKarts and Skyscaper.

In semi-related discussion, I was looking at possible places for the relocation of RipCord next year on the satellite view. My personal thought process on the matter has it being placed next to Gemini and Slingshot, in the beginning of the new extended midway that will be completed in 2018 with the addition of RMC Streak, and a new back entrance gate. This will, of course, necessitate the removal and likely relocation of the buildings back there currently, but to me, that makes sense as they are some of the few non-public access buildings remaining within the perimeter of the park. Perhaps I am off-base in my thoughts about that whole new midway/gate concept, but I guess we'll at least have an idea by the end of tomorrow what is in store.

Assuming Ripcord doesn't go there, where else might it be relocated? One popular train of thought is in the old Shoot the Rapids spot. Now, I don't know what everybody else envisions when they think that, but from actually looking at the space there, I can see that it could fit completely on Millennium Island, or completely on the Frontier Trail side of the lagoon (but on the other side of the train tracks.) However, I think either of these locations would be a tremendous waste of the potential space for expansion in the old STR footprint. What I looked at as a better possible use of that spot involving Ripcord, was having the attraction positioned in such a way that the spikes you get pulled up to are positioned ON Millennium Island, and the entirety of the Ripcord footprint is to the left of where the current (at least in the satellite image) STR lift hill is located. That would use the least amount of space, and also provide a cool swoop across the lagoon water while riding Ripcord.

Additionally, that would leave room to the right of the STR lift hill, and the remainder of the Millennium Island plot that STR occupied, for a GCI woodie to be added there a couple of years down the road. The station, and beginning of that coaster could be in the area where there's currently other behind the scenes stuff to the left of MF's second hill, and the queue and its entrance could even be incorporated into Fort Sandusky, which is currently a cool looking area on Frontier Trail, that is ultimately not very significant in what it's being used for. But that's speculation for a different time, really, as we're a little ways off from that right now, I believe...

What other areas in the park do you think might be a landing spot for Ripcord, if not the two I have already mentioned? Or do you think it'll be in one of those two areas?

Ripcord needs to be inside the park, and the STR spot is that of least resistance. I'm not entirely fond of the idea because I don't how it fits in well with the Frontier Trail, but until the Dinosaurs Alive contract ends and frees up that space, I just can't think of anywhere better.

Ripcord needs to be inside the park, and the STR spot is that of least resistance. I'm not entirely fond of the idea because I don't how it fits in well with the Frontier Trail, but until the Dinosaurs Alive contract ends and frees up that space, I just can't think of anywhere better.

Other than my new midway concept, and placing Ripcord near Slingshot and Gemini on that extended midway, I agree, that there isn't really a better place in the park for it. I also agree that the STR land isn't ideal from a look, or theming standpoint. However, if it is placed where I described in my post above, it is the least obtrusive route, and can even utilize the railroad crossing entrance that is already in place from STR. That at least places it at the far end of Frontier Trail, and allows for future expansion in STR's plot as well!

Along those lines, if this rumored "7 year contract" thing for Dinos Alive is true, that would place them in line to be removed at the end of 2018, making way for a potential 2019 addition of a GCI woodie in that spot I mentioned earlier, but also interacting with MF, and utilizing their old spot!

I'm pretty confident 2019 won't bring anything major. Sounds like 2020 is going to be a big one for the parks anniversary.

Repeat after me...

Theme

Parks

Do

Not

Give

A

Single

Sh*t

About

Wood

To

Steel

Coaster

Ratios,

Anniversaries

Or

Bull***

Coaster

Feature

Quotas

Number

Of

Inverting

Coasters

Or

Stupid

Sh*t

That

... God damn

I'm pretty confident 2019 won't bring anything major. Sounds like 2020 is going to be a big one for the parks anniversary.

Just being curious, where did you hear that

He didn't hear it anywhere, its just made up and not even slightly based on any facts.