TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Story about the duck was on some FB page that randomly popped up in my stuff. There was discussion/confusion as to whether the duck was there from the start or somehow flew into that spot while the coaster was on its run. Curious if we will ever find out.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, coasterbill said:

... or, why not just skip the line for free by being a duck!

Untitled.thumb.png.8751f67d9a6036c92e1f33f2531359b4.png

Untitled2.png.71ace707d25065b0e020163543cde54e.png]

Source: Reddit

PS: I have no additional context right now, but it looks like a duck rode Millennium Force. This might be my favorite theme park story since the Orlando Eye semi-exploded on New Year's Eve.

As the old song goes, if I were a duck, and you were a lady...

31 minutes ago, thepoint4life23 said:

This will be interesting to see what "theming" they go with, since Red force is kind of F1 themed. Can't wait for the 1st to find out all the details on this thing. 

I'm fairly confident that they're not going to let the existence of another F1 themed coaster, on the other side of the ocean, that 90% of the CP-going populace hasn't heard of, that 99.9% of that same populace hasn't ridden, affect their theming decision in any way.

So, something I was musing about this morning... TTD 2.0's capacity. The park announced it had a theoretical capacity of 1,500 RPH. Actual reports I could find online put it at 1,000 and others would argue less. That's a full circuit, everything running great coaster. Now if it's a swing launch, or a multi-launch of any type I cannot help but think it will have a much lower RPH. 

Does anyone know of a swing or multi-launch that really racks up some riders? 

Hagrids... - 1,700 (wiki)

Toutatis - 1,260 riders per hour (wiki)

Steel Taipan -  820 riders per hour (wiki)

I know these are all on a different scale then what is expected/predicted from this "reimagining." Does anyone have a better idea of what it might look like?

8.1.23 is coming, and I'm excited. However they get you to the top of the top hat will be great, because the drop/270 degree spin is always amazing! I'm also excited for the ride to last longer than 18 seconds. 😂

1 hour ago, MartinU said:

So, something I was musing about this morning... TTD 2.0's capacity. The park announced it had a theoretical capacity of 1,500 RPH. Actual reports I could find online put it at 1,000 and others would argue less. That's a full circuit, everything running great coaster. Now if it's a swing launch, or a multi-launch of any type I cannot help but think it will have a much lower RPH. 

Does anyone know of a swing or multi-launch that really racks up some riders? 

Hagrids... - 1,700 (wiki)

Toutatis - 1,260 riders per hour (wiki)

Steel Taipan -  820 riders per hour (wiki)

I know these are all on a different scale then what is expected/predicted from this "reimagining." Does anyone have a better idea of what it might look like?

8.1.23 is coming, and I'm excited. However they get you to the top of the top hat will be great, because the drop/270 degree spin is always amazing! I'm also excited for the ride to last longer than 18 seconds. 😂

I think the most compareable ride would be Soaring with Dragon https://rcdb.com/13420.htm

Theoretical capacity is stated as 1300 RPH, which is about 65 dispatches per hour. As Dragster is has 18 seats, capacity will be somewhat lower, probably around 1150-1200 RPH

20 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Dragster also spent like 4 hours of every day broken on a good day. If capacity is lower but uptime is better this could still easily see more riders per season.

Have to disagree. I have ridden it many times on days when it ran flawlessly from open to close. Yes, it had issues, but not nearly as bad as others rides like the original Bat at Kings Island or Volcano at Kings Dominion. I look forward to whatever this new version is and am hopeful for a more reliable experience on a daily basis.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, pianojohn said:

Have to disagree. I have ridden it many times on days when it ran flawlessly from open to close. Yes, it had issues, but not nearly as bad as others rides like the original Bat at Kings Island or Volcano at Kings Dominion. I look forward to whatever this new version is and am hopeful for a more reliable experience on a daily basis.

I know by reading here that is breaks down quite often. But I also have to second John: All four days we spent at CP, the downtime was close to nonexistent. If it had oopsies, they maybe lasted some minutes. On our third day, it was down for about half an hour close to park close. But they repaired it and let the about 50 people in line ride it way after park closure. So yes, it was down, but it didn't affect the total riders of that day much.

• Like 2

That was never the norm. There were rare days like that, but they were also balanced out by breakdowns that lasted for weeks / months at a time that seemed to be becoming more and more frequent. In 3 of it's last 5 seasons it ended up on the news because of a major  breakdown and one of the 2 years where that didn't happen was 2020 when the park opened for the season 2 months late and the park closed at like 7PM every day. It barely had the opportunity.

... remember this in 2019?

... or this in 2017?

8 hours ago, coasterbill said:

That was never the norm. There were rare days like that, but they were also balanced out by breakdowns that lasted for weeks / months at a time that seemed to be becoming more and more frequent. In 3 of it's last 5 seasons it ended up on the news because of a major  breakdown and one of the 2 years where that didn't happen was 2020 when the park opened for the season 2 months late and the park closed at like 7PM every day. It barely had the opportunity.

... remember this in 2019?

... or this in 2017?

It was closed all day everytime i've been there. The last time, it re-opened the day after we left. 🤬

I’m going from Sweden to Ohio in September, and will finally be able to go to cedar point for my first time. 

I’ve been looking at the opening times for September and understand that from 15th of September and forward it will only be open for weekends with the Halloween theme. But I can’t figure out how to buy tickets for that? Hasn’t the tickets been released yet? 
My plan is to go there on Saturday the 16th of September. 

1 hour ago, Swedeontour said:

I’ve been looking at the opening times for September and understand that from 15th of September and forward it will only be open for weekends with the Halloween theme. But I can’t figure out how to buy tickets for that? Hasn’t the tickets been released yet? 

It would appear that is the case; no one can buy Halloweekends tickets yet.

1 hour ago, Swedeontour said:

I’m going from Sweden to Ohio in September, and will finally be able to go to cedar point for my first time. 

they don't seem to hav the website updated for that far out yet. . only going thru 9/9.

you'll just have to keep checking. .

https://www.cedarpoint.com/daily-tickets

11 hours ago, bert425 said:

they don't seem to hav the website updated for that far out yet. . only going thru 9/9.

you'll just have to keep checking. .

https://www.cedarpoint.com/daily-tickets

Great, thank you. 
And what to expect, since it’s the first week of Halloween? Do you guys think it will be totally crowded? 

I don’t really understand the difference between fast lane and fast lane plus. Is it just the past coasters that’s included in the plus one? 

@Swedeontour

It will be busy.  I was there the first weekend of Halloweekends in 2021 and it was slammed.

Here is the chart of what rides are included on regular Fast Lane vs. Fast Lane Plus: https://www.cedarpoint.com/fast-lane-passes (Scroll down past the "Buy me!" options)

You want Plus, since the rides that it adds are the ones that typically get the longest lines.  Not sure what experience you might have with skip-the-line passes, but know that at Cedar Point it will not get you past all of the line on some rides.  For example, Steel Vengeance - If the standby queue is 3 hours, you'll probably have a 30-45 minute wait with Fast Lane Plus due to where the point that the two lines merge is.  That said, it is absolutely worth it.

If you have any interest in doing the Halloween walk-throughs, you also will want a Fright Lane pass, which skips the lines on those.  That is, much like the general park tickets for the days you're looking to go, not yet available.

Since you're coming from overseas, I will break with my normal hotel recommendation and say that you should absolutely stay at Hotel Breakers if at all financially possible.  You can arrange package deals which include park tickets, and being a CP Resort Guest also gives you 1-hour early entry before the general public (but with some passholders).  Here's the link to book a room:  https://reservations.cedarpoint.com/cedarpoint/?hotelcode=HB&_gl=1*1o7bc2o*_ga*MzUzOTUzODYwLjE2NDIzNTM0OTE.*_ga_8CNN6657FV*MTY5MDYyNTI1NC45LjEuMTY5MDYyNTYyMi41OS4wLjA.

I know in your original post you said that you were planning on going only on Saturday, 9/16, but I highly recommend adding a second day.  Even with Fast Lane Plus, with only one day you will be running across the park to try to get all of the coasters and some flats in.  If it rains that day, your entire trip is a wash (CP does not have a very friendly rain policy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^ Seems strange to go to 420. That's the existing height of the top hat. If you're going that high, why not beat Kinda Krap at 456 --37 more feet? I can't believe they'd leave that on the table. Just a few more feet...