TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

On 4/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, RaceBoarder said:

Finally life is gonna allow me to get away Cedar Point for a couple of days.  It appears that some things have changed in the theme park world the last few years, ha ha....  Happy to be back at this, but yea, lol...

Targeting June 21-22 for our park days.  Arrive late evening on the 20th and driving back to Chicago after a park day on the 22.  Looking at Breakers.

Some stuff I'm seeing as different this go around:

- Early Entry is basically dead.  Just seems to be GateKeeper, some generic flats, and some kiddie rides.  Is Gatekeeper worth the trouble in this hour?   Hit it and then camp out in line for something to open at 10am?

- With just Gate Keeper open for Early Entry, it seems like it's simplest to take a walk along the lake and use the WindSeeker gate. Seems like the Running of the Morons to SV still takes place from the Magnum gate.

- It seems likely that we will see rides closing before 10pm.   Just see how things play out the couple of weeks beforehand and make a play based on those results?

- First time staying on property at CP.  I assume it's fairly simple to navigate back to Breakers for parking.   I assume we'll just park back there for the 2.5 days we're around the property.

- Can we leave the property early in the AM to find breakfast and then come back in a reasonable amount of time?   Does the Perkins have "normal" prices or is breakfast gonna cost $25+?

- With the staffing issues, is Fast Lane+ still a simple purchase or is this something we'll have to seek out an open vendor at 10am?

- After reading back through the thread, I'm a bit confused as to what to expect with the SV Lockers.   The process seems to be FL+ queue ---> Metal Detector ----> Locker Visit ----> Line into Station   Also, with this mess, I keep a Blood Glucose monitor on my person.   I can throw it in a locker if absolutely needed, but being separated from the transmitter for an extended period of time can be problematic.   Am I gonna have to fight with an attendant about keeping this is a zippered pocket for the ride?  I will gladly dump my phone and wallet.   But the device losing signal several times over the course of our 48 hours can possibly cause issues.

To echo the others, SV lockers aren't complicated just kind of annoying, you hit lockers first then the metal detector. Do NOT leave the peninsula once you get parked. One of the great perks of staying there is not having to drive back and forth across that damn causeway. In addition to Perkins for a sit down breakfast they also have a take away counter at the front of the restaurant where you can get a few things like muffins and pastries plus there is Starbucks for a light breakfast. Sometimes with FL+ we just grab a muffin/scone/whatever go grab early entry stuff, (now that they've taken anything of interest off of it I would just use early entry to line up for something really good) and then eat an early lunch when a lot of people are running around trying to get as much in the first few hours as they can. 

You should be able to buy your FL+ at the Breakers check in counter in the lobby. Like Bert said there will be a specific lane when you drive in for people staying at the hotel with a check in toll booth and then another check point right before the parking lot, although that one is not always staffed if you get there very late. Sometimes they do ask for a reservation # so you might want to have that handy.

Even if you go right to Gatekeeper for early entry I don't know that walking to the Windseeker gate will be any faster, unless you just prefer the lake view in the morning.  Everyone that gets early entry as a pass perk that is not at the hotel will be going in there and the SV people will all go immediately to the right upon entering at the Magnum gate and they usually hold everyone up a bit at a rope drop just past Gemini so the running happens after that.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:19 AM, RaceBoarder said:

Finally life is gonna allow me to get away Cedar Point for a couple of days.  It appears that some things have changed in the theme park world the last few years, ha ha....  Happy to be back at this, but yea, lol...

Targeting June 21-22 for our park days.  Arrive late evening on the 20th and driving back to Chicago after a park day on the 22.  Looking at Breakers.

Some stuff I'm seeing as different this go around:

- Early Entry is basically dead.  Just seems to be GateKeeper, some generic flats, and some kiddie rides.  Is Gatekeeper worth the trouble in this hour?   Hit it and then camp out in line for something to open at 10am?

- With just Gate Keeper open for Early Entry, it seems like it's simplest to take a walk along the lake and use the WindSeeker gate. Seems like the Running of the Morons to SV still takes place from the Magnum gate.

- It seems likely that we will see rides closing before 10pm.   Just see how things play out the couple of weeks beforehand and make a play based on those results?

- First time staying on property at CP.  I assume it's fairly simple to navigate back to Breakers for parking.   I assume we'll just park back there for the 2.5 days we're around the property.

- Can we leave the property early in the AM to find breakfast and then come back in a reasonable amount of time?   Does the Perkins have "normal" prices or is breakfast gonna cost $25+?

- With the staffing issues, is Fast Lane+ still a simple purchase or is this something we'll have to seek out an open vendor at 10am?

- After reading back through the thread, I'm a bit confused as to what to expect with the SV Lockers.   The process seems to be FL+ queue ---> Metal Detector ----> Locker Visit ----> Line into Station   Also, with this mess, I keep a Blood Glucose monitor on my person.   I can throw it in a locker if absolutely needed, but being separated from the transmitter for an extended period of time can be problematic.   Am I gonna have to fight with an attendant about keeping this is a zippered pocket for the ride?  I will gladly dump my phone and wallet.   But the device losing signal several times over the course of our 48 hours can possibly cause issues.

-I would hit GK and (Wild Mouse if you are interested) and then camp at your favorite ride. Seems this will be a super easy way of getting on MIllennium and Maverick. I am willing to bet there will still be a solid contingent of people who go wait at SV right at 9am though. 

-Last season the park got back to closing rides at park closing time. No more closing rides 30 minutes before closing if there is a 30 minute wait. However I would not expect them to keep lines open late like they used to in the past. Everything should close on at 10pm (or whatever time closing is) on the dot.

-Yep exactly that. I stayed there for my first time during opening weekend of haunt last year and didn't touch my car once. It was nice.

-I would avoid leaving the property. Perkins is reasonable if not the same price as their other locations. As others have said there is also a walk up counter for grab and go type stuff. There is also a starbucks inside of Breakers and one at the front of the park that I believe both serve all the typical Starbucks breakfast food.

-Fastlane is available at a number of giftshops in the park. The ones that come to mind are the main giftshop at the front of the park, "Point Plaza" and also the General Store that you pass approaching Maverick. I believe you can also redeem at all ticket booths at any entrance to the park. There is also a fastlane specific walkup stand to the right immediately as you come through the main entrance. 

-Lockers are easier than you've been led to believe. It really is a seemless process. Especially mid season when the ride ops have good control of the situation down there. But yes you'll wait in FL+ queue, drop stuff in lockers, go through metal detectors, wait about 10 minutes if not less, then get on the ride.

-I'm not sure about your monitor. You might be safer getting an ADA pass for this situation specifically. Go to Guest Services and explain your situation and they will take care of you accordingly. If I had to guess, they'll give you a pass in which a member of your group waits in the FL+ line and you wait near the ride exit. When the rest of your group makes it into the station, you go up the exit and you will drop your monitor in a ADA pass specific loose article bin, ride immediately with your group, then get your monitor back right away. If you are alone, they will give you a pass where you go to a ride, get immeidate boarding, and then are given a wait time in accordance with the ride you rode that will signify the next time you may ride a ride using the ADA pass. So for example, you go ride SV right at 10am and it has a 30 minute wait already. You will get on SV right at 10am with ADA pass, and then they will write on your pass 10:30am. So then at 10:30am you can go to any other ride at get immediate boarding and then get another wait time and the cycle continues. All in all, I seriously doubt they'll allow you to take your monitor on the ride, but the ADA pass will allow you to spend minimal time without it. 

Hope all this helped!

^ they dont' enforce that tho. . at least they never have on my visits.

not that it's much of a problem, as the only way to get back there is really by walking up the boardwalk (you can't park back there unless staying at one of the two you note).

so not really an issue - likely why they haven't bothered to enforce it on my visits.

but then again, I'd never visit CP without budgeting to stay at Breakers (not Express, but Breakers) and FL+ (for at least 1 day)

3 hours ago, coastersandhockey said:

-Fastlane is available at a number of giftshops in the park. The ones that come to mind are the main giftshop at the front of the park, "Point Plaza" and also the General Store that you pass approaching Maverick. I believe you can also redeem at all ticket booths at any entrance to the park. There is also a fastlane specific walkup stand to the right immediately as you come through the main entrance. 

My experience has been that the stand-alone FastLane stand inside the main entrance is usually the busiest place to get one.  As coastersandhockey said, go to one of the gift shops that has the “FastLane available here” signs.  I believe Pagoda Gift Shop and also the Snoopy gift shop near Magnum and the boat ride also have them.  You’ll save time that way and be able to get on any early entry rides without worrying about standing in line at the FastLane stand.  Enjoy your visit!

Did Cedar Fair eliminate the KI & CP "2 Park" ticket option or am I confusing them with the Park hopper two park Busch Gardens Tampa /Seaworld tickets?

I seem to recall this ticket option pre-Covid.

Early entry is worthless this year at Cedar Point. These are the only rides open 1 hour early, so not a benefit anymore. Only major coaster open is Gatekeeper, so the lines will be bad. Thanks Cedar Point!!!

2023 Early Entry Rides

The following attractions are scheduled to be open for Early Entry*:

GateKeeper

Wild Mouse

Atomic Scrambler

Matterhorn

Calypso

Dodgem

Kiddy Kingdom (select rides)

On 4/27/2023 at 11:19 AM, RaceBoarder said:

Better yet head to Berardis for an amazing breakfast. They are probably 10-15 minutes from the park but totally worth the drive. They also open at 7am so you could easily hit it before a day at the park.
Check out their food here: http://www.sanduskyberardis.com/

They USED to provide the french fries at the park until Cedar Point decided to make their own. I usually order them with my omelet instead of breakfast potatoes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coasternut said:

Early entry is worthless this year at Cedar Point. These are the only rides open 1 hour early, so not a benefit anymore. Only major coaster open is Gatekeeper, so the lines will be bad. Thanks Cedar Point!!!

2023 Early Entry Rides

The following attractions are scheduled to be open for Early Entry*:

GateKeeper

Wild Mouse

Atomic Scrambler

Matterhorn

Calypso

Dodgem

Kiddy Kingdom (select rides)

I don't know if I'd call it worthless when it gives you an opportunity to ride the brand new, low-capacity, coaster without the entire park full of people.

• Haha 1

^ Compared to the way it's been for years, this is nothing. We used to have several coasters to choose from. For me Wild Mouse is a one and done for the credit that's all. Cedar Point just continues to disappoint...

CP Not the place to be!

2 minutes ago, coasternut said:

^ Compared to the way it's been for years, this is nothing. We used to have several coasters to choose from. For me Wild Mouse is a one and done for the credit that's all. Cedar Point just continues to disappoint...

CP Not the place to be!

Cool, so don't go.  No one will miss you.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, coasternut said:

^ Thanks for your "2 cents." Just wanted to let people know about this major change to the pass benefits, so they're not surprised / disappointed when they arrive.

We knew a month and a half ago.  Also, I'd hardly call a change in the early entry lineup a "major change" to pass benefits.

You could just look at it as a Business move to get people to the new part of the park. They have also had staffing issue and this gets them more time to get stuff open on time! They Early entry Rides has dropped off a lot over the last few years but still nice to get in and and walk around way not many people in the park.

18 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

I don't know if I'd call it worthless when it gives you an opportunity to ride the brand new, low-capacity, coaster without the entire park full of people.

This 1000%.  I haven’t seen anything about Wild Mouse being on FastLane so I am thrilled it’s part of early entry.  Whenever I can reduce my wait time, I will!

I mean, the reduction of early entry rides is a big hit and kind of sucks, but they don't have to offer anything so at least being able to get in and get to the ride you want before the GP is helpful.  And like others have said, new mouse credit!?!? lol

• Like 3

On 5/1/2023 at 9:01 AM, bert425 said:

but then again, I'd never visit CP without budgeting to stay at Breakers (not Express, but Breakers) and FL+ (for at least 1 day)

It's part of the entire experience. Otherwise, it's just another (really good) park.

On 5/2/2023 at 6:27 PM, coasternut said:

CP Not the place to be!

OK, so GTFO.

• Like 2

So I was at the park for the whole weekend and what they decided to do to the boardwalk is really perplexing. First, the Grand Pavilion is an awesome addition. The building itself is extremely nice, and even though I don't eat that over priced dog food, it's a great place to grab a drink, take in the view, and relax. So I see myself spending a lot of time there in the future. 

What I just don't get is why they decided to build Wild Mouse. The park needed a family coaster, no doubt about it. But why pick THAT family coaster? It's a low capacity ride that couldn't be less unique. And it will turn a lot of people off because of the fact that it spins. A lot of people skip those rides.

Why not go with a family woodie, something like Kentucky Flyer? Or a launched family coaster? Or if they really wanted to draw more families, why not finally clear out the arcade, and add a very good a family coaster/ dark ride with indoor and outdoor sections? I dunno, I just don't get it. 

As for Wild Mouse, I actually really like the ride. I LOVE spinning coasters. I just don't see how it fits here.

4 hours ago, AndrewA86 said:

What I just don't get is why they decided to build Wild Mouse. The park needed a family coaster, no doubt about it. But why pick THAT family coaster? It's a low capacity ride that couldn't be less unique. And it will turn a lot of people off because of the fact that it spins. A lot of people skip those rides.

Why not go with a family woodie, something like Kentucky Flyer? Or a launched family coaster? Or if they really wanted to draw more families, why not finally clear out the arcade, and add a very good a family coaster/ dark ride with indoor and outdoor sections? I dunno, I just don't get it.

It was small enough to fit the area, is decidedly a family coaster, and meshes well with the "boardwalk" theme.  It was also likely substantially cheaper than any of the options you mentioned, none of which would fit in the defined area*.   They have plenty of non-spinning moderate coasters for people to ride (CCMR, Blue Streak, Gemini, Corkscrew, the kiddie coasters).

They're also likely spending goo-gobs of money on whatever is happening with Dragster, so there's that too.

Don't forget, they still had a portable "carnival" coaster in their lineup 11 years after Millennium Force opened.  This is totally on brand.

*Except the "dark-ride-in-the-first-floor-of-the-ballroom" idea, which I absolutely love, but that still would have left a gaping opening in the new Boardwalk area.

5 hours ago, AndrewA86 said:

I don't eat that over priced dog food.

Dang. I generally agree with you to an extent about park food, but have you had a chance to try any of the new offerings?

Agreed a large portion of the decision was probably made with cost as a factor. I'm not really a fan of wild mouse coasters. I don't think most of us are. I would say I generally think they look terrible, but until I see how it fits in the area in person I might as well reserve my judgement.

The park has a crap ton of coasters and this is the first spinning coaster. I don’t get how it doesn’t fit in. It also has a low height requirement (for Cedar Fair). It’s different for them, so it’s a perfect fit.

Realistically this entire thing is also a budget cut. They can operate a small lift driven Zamperla rather than an Intamin Inpulse that used a ton of power, required more ride ops and required more expensive parts and more maintenance. Still though… I’m fine with it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2