TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That is true but that might not come to mind when they think of it...

BTW I'll just leave this...

Note that the filing of the trademark has been suspended. You cut your pic off just before the status section.

Sorry for the pic... Oops! But when I looked at it it said "Live since 2013" so is that still live? The ones that weren't used or weren't going to be used are filed at "dead"...

This world is meesed up. The public is a total baby if something isn't politically correct.

Am I sad he died? No. Do I care? No. He killed himself in this case. Do I feel bad for his family? Yes. But to change a name or delay the announcement all because some idiot decided to do what idiots do best? Now that's absurd.

Too bad the GP will still think it's Cedar Point's fault.

Honestly, what is the difference between this and someone commiting suicide in your own house? How are you really liable for an idependent mind and choice? He also broke the rules outlined and warned various times - but that still can't stop a deterred idiot from breaking them. Its not like the ride seeked him out. CP obviously never intended this - you come to an amusement park ride rides, and thus this is totally unrelated to the company's initiative (to the concept of amusement service in general).

Am I the only person who is growing incredibly sick about hearing, and reading about the "man who got killed by Raptor" topic?

No, but I'm incredibly sick about hearing people thinking they are going to change the name. It's just so dumb...

Edited by robbalvey

Am I the only person who is growing incredibly sick about hearing, and reading about the "man who got killed by Raptor" topic?

No, but I'm incredibly sick about hearing people thinking they are going to change the name. It's just so dumb...

So. True.

Virtually everyone on this board knows that Cedar Point was in no way at fault for the accident. However, imagine Cedar Point went ahead with the announcement on Tuesday, keeping in mind that a lot of the media and GP have no idea what CP is about to announce.

This is Wikepedia's definition for Valravn: In Danish folklore, a valravn (Danish "raven of the slain") is a supernatural raven. The ravens appear in traditional Danish folksongs, where they are described as originating from ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield, as capable of turning into the form of a knight after consuming the heart of a child, and, alternately, as half-wolf and half-raven creatures.

How do you think the media and GP would react to such an announcement days after a fatal tragedy involving a coaster at the park? I think that Cedar Point would look callus, insensitive, cold-hearted, and out of touch to the media and GP if they were to announce this coaster with it's anticipated theme so close to this tragedy. Had the announcement happened before the accident, none of this would be a problem, but unfortunately for CP, that is not the case and I 100% think they are making the correct call in delaying the announcement.

In the long run, I doubt delaying the announcement will affect the time table of the coaster significantly, so IMO the likely PR nightmare of announcing the coaster on Tuesday isn't worth adhering to their original date, regardless of how frustrating that may be to enthusiasts.

Just kinda throwing this out there....

I visited the park on Friday which was the day after the accident and although I did not ride Raptor due to some weather moving into the area once I finally got around to riding it, I will say that the park itself just seemed kinda somber and awkward. It wasn't as "festive" as it usually is. Quite a sad feeling all through the park.

I also just visited the park today (Sunday) and got to ride Raptor. The whole park seemed to regain the "festive" mood, besides for the Raptor station. It was very quiet and awkward and the operations were dreadfully slow. I'm talking having all 3 trains backed up for 2+ minutes before every dispatch. I would assume that's all because of the accident. I know that really has nothing to do with what is currently being talked about in the forum, just thought some of you guys would be interested in knowing this.

Also, to answer a previous post wondering about the fenced off area next to the Breakers Express hotel, there is no track or anything else for that matter yet but I imagine that we'll start seeing pieces showing up soon since we are getting close to the end of the summer season.

Informationally, I just told my co-worker (a definite non-enthusiast) about the announcement postponement, and he agreed very strongly that it was the right move. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a representation of a non-enthusiast perspective on the postponement. And he felt that way without even knowing the name of the coaster or its connotation. CP definitely nailed this one, as much as it bummed us enthusiasts out.

If I had to guess as to when the new announcement date will be, I'm going with August 27th. Two weeks will have passed since the Raptor incident, and it will leave a week before the Six Flags announcements for CP to have the spotlight. Just a thought...

It is sad that these completely avoidable situations happen......and that the theme parks involved are put thru a 'colonoscopy' type examination by the lawyers representing the 'victims' families. (Because If I drop my phone while riding an attraction, I should be able to get it ASAP!!!)

Anyhow, I'm sure the lawyers will say that since this theme park didn't want to invest in additional safety measures like I don't know....pressure sensitive mats, which could have alerted the ride operator to a possible incursion into the danger zone etc. Then the greedy amusement park is negligent!

That is absurd! But the USA is a litigious country, and nobody wants to accept responsibility for their actions.

We all make questionable decisions from time to time, but that doesn't mean 'others' should be held liable for our choices.

This was a unfortunate accident.......nothing more.

Edited by BelizeIt

On a completely different topic, I think so many people have been distracted by this that they haven't even noticed the brand new haunt on Frontier Trail!

It's right under Millennium's first overbank right by the barn. The building (I believe) used to be a storage building and now looks like it's being turned into a haunt. The signs around the park teasing Halloweekends say "don't slaughter a visit this fall" so I'm assuming it's going to be a slaughterhouse type haunt. I think it's in the perfect location for one too! I've always wanted a slaughterhouse haunt in that exact area.

There appears to be a brand new poured concrete path that leads to the building and the building has what looks to be a door cut out of the wall, and you can see where the wall used to be. My guess is that you'll exit from this path, and enter over by the barn.

I took the pics in the morning of the coaster campout, which is why the gate is open. Don't worry, I didn't go anywhere that I wasn't supposed to. As you can see, there's a ton of metal kitchen stuff out in front of the building, which are typical things you'd see in a butcher shop.

While I'm still not 100% certain this is what this will be, all signs seem to point to it.

IMG_8896.thumb.JPG.524465b19f1e51dce3fee785ce2dece1.JPG

Building, featuring the cut out door and metal kitchen counters

IMG_8897.thumb.JPG.816e3ea174599194a06093ef58d77e8d.JPG

New path that leads to the building (Sorry it's blurry)

I think changing the name would make sense if the coaster was going to be called Flatline or something like that, but Valravn, as noted above, is derived from Danish folklore.

Flatline made me laugh! Valravn has grown on me, especially since it's from folklore and isn't just a made up word via a cat walking over a keyboard. It's unique and I'll take something like that over another _____ Streak or ______ Height Number. It's like how 30% of the dogs I meet have either the name Shadow, Buddy, or Sadie. Major bonus points for creativity whether with coasters or pets. That being said, still looking forward to the official announcement!

I'm just catching up on the news now. In the interest of reducing dead horse abuse, I did carefully read all thirty-something pages. Still, apologies for the late contribution to a topic I'm sure you're all tiring of.

Surely every park will have to install sensors so that if someone does enter the restricted areas, the ride will automatically stop (or go into a safe mode). But then the GP will try to accidentally trip these sensors, so that the ride stops.

This is a very interesting point.

The technology is available, proven, and very straightforward. Wicked Twister has one guarding either end of the station.

But I'm certain not every park will do so with their fences. I happen to purchase, install, troubleshoot, and maintain light curtains on multimillion dollar manufacturing equipment. Guarding every segment of fencing with a light curtain is a seriously expensive undertaking. My back-of-the-envelope estimate says this is a quarter- to half-million dollar installation on a ride the size of Raptor. Times all the rest of their coasters.

Worth it? I'd sure as heck be doing a careful CBA, given the incredible stupidity parks have to deal with. And I wouldn't be surprised to see this somewhere, someday. But small parks can't swing it, fersure.

A compounding issue is that, coasters being gravity-driven, there is a decent chance that nothing useful could be done even if the system is apprised of the intruder. Brakes capable of quickly stopping the train would need to be added all over the course (which may not even be possible, generally speaking). So, in most cases it would be effective, but in some cases it would not, short of an even huger cash outlay. This makes the investment less attractive.

As for protecting them from malicious activiation, I don't think that would be significantly challenging.

I feel worst for the people on the ride who had to hit him. Thats not fare to people following rules
I'm sorry for anyone who was on the train and was either physically or emotionally impacted,...

This, this, and this x1000. Being in a vehicle that impacts and kills someone can be life-changingly traumatic. I once watched a brief piece that interviewed train conductors and car drivers victimized by suicidal individuals jumping in front of them. Some people can shake it off, but in many cases it induced massive, lifelong, depressive emotions and the need for intensive therapy.

My heart goes out so incredibly deeply to those riders.

And..psssssst... it's "fair" hehe, "fare" is for the bus

Maybe when Cedar Point announces the ride its name will become more popular, especially since i think the ride is pronounced Valravn (val-rahn) instead of Valravn (val-rov-in) or Valravn (val-raven). I think val-rahn sounds better.

Tell me, did you write the New York Times Best Seller "How to Confuse The General Public With Idiotic Pronunciations Which Completely Deviate From the Already Established Bird/Raven Theme"?

raptor could seriously use a paint job. maybe this might be a good time?

would you keep it green, or some other colour (not orange obviously...)

Everything at Cedar Point seems to be very well maintained aesthetically except for Raptor. I agree that it needs a paint job, and it really needs work in the station. It's dark (at night) and dated. Also, I think most of all it needs bright, white lights like Gatekeeper has.

Skip to 1:00... and compare Raptor to Gatekeeper.