TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It isn't as easy as changing the trains - B&Ms are designed to around the center (or heart) of a rider vs of the train (like how I believe Arrow designed their rides).

This is true, but the floorless trains have a higher heartline compared to the standard sitdown trains. I bet if you compare the heartline between the standup to a floorless, they are probably really close. If you look at Mantis, the platform you stand on is really close to the frame of the train and the track. On a floorless train, the seats are mounted higher on the chassis to get you high enough so your feet won't hit anything.

I think the main reason CP does not do the retrofit is simply because the ride is still popular, converting would be expensive (mostly new station) and it may not pay off over time for them. While I think most of us would like it, it probably does not make much sense... New trains, station and overhaul would probably cost nearly 5 million, as a quick guess.

Maybe one of Hydra's trains could be tested on Mantis over the offseason. I know it's not that simple though since Mantis doesn't have the floor for a floorless coaster but it would give a good idea at how floorless trains would track the ride.

I was just looking at that too. Wicked Twister isn't even running and it usually runs in the rain. So does Gatekeeper if it's not windy (which it's not).

I love that Windseeker and Skyride are running though, that just proves that this little rain storm is a complete non event since they close for everything weather related.

can someone give me insight why CP has installed this crazy rain policy?? I understand the wind policy, but this hard of a rain policy is crazy, from what I hear.

It isn't as easy as changing the trains - B&Ms are designed to around the center (or heart) of a rider vs of the train (like how I believe Arrow designed their rides).

This is true, but the floorless trains have a higher heartline compared to the standard sitdown trains. I bet if you compare the heartline between the standup to a floorless, they are probably really close. If you look at Mantis, the platform you stand on is really close to the frame of the train and the track. On a floorless train, the seats are mounted higher on the chassis to get you high enough so your feet won't hit anything.

They may be close but the stand up one is still taller, I think.

Personally, I don't see the hate for Mantis that it seems to get from nearly everyone. Mantis has never struck me as being ROUGH (and I ride it a lot!), with exception of a few slight shakes on some rides and a nasty snap to the MCBR. It's certainly INTENSE, which I like. To be honest, I've had rougher rides on Raptor than I've had on Mantis.

I've been on Iron Wolf, Vortex (Caro), and Chang Lantern (at both locations). Mantis was noticeably smoother than Iron Wolf, and was on par with Vortex and Chang Lantern in terms of smoothness, and nobody is calling for sit-down/floorless makeovers for any of the other B&M stand ups.

On another note, though, I don't think CP will ever convert the coaster. It's popular enough as it is, and there's no way they could generate enough publicity for the altered ride experience to get people through the gate to ride it. Keep it as it is, as a select few think Mantis is great!

It's funny because I can't really tell what I think of Mantis (how bad, or not, it is) as, when I rode it (twice) I assumed the "head out" position and, as a result, I could tell it wasn't smooth but not really how shaky it was. My head was "out of the danger zone" so it never really banged against the restraints.

As to green lantern (my only other standup): my first ever ride on it was awful. 7th row, lots of head banging. Last summer I had four more rides closer to the front and it was okay, even tough I still could tell it wasn't silky smooth.

I've always enjoyed Mantis and have never really understood the hate it gets. I just keep my mouth shut and hope everyone buys into that opinion so the line dies down. Unfortunately not many people agree with the hate, and the line continues to stay long:( lol

Dangit!!!

It's funny because I can't really tell what I think of Mantis (how bad, or not, it is) as, when I rode it (twice) I assumed the "head out" position and, as a result, I could tell it wasn't smooth but not really how shaky it was. My head was "out of the danger zone" so it never really banged against the restraints.

As to green lantern (my only other standup): my first ever ride on it was awful. 7th row, lots of head banging. Last summer I had four more rides closer to the front and it was okay, even tough I still could tell it wasn't silky smooth.

mantis is 100 times better then green lantern. green lantern will beat the crap out of you with all the head banging.

Anyone been to the new frontier trail tavern that opened this week? Any listing of the draft selection?

I had never even heard of this until I saw your post and Googled it - this is awesome news!

Anyone know where this is located on the Frontier Trail?

I was able to pull the list from the CP food blog...there are some pretty damned good brews on here. A gazillion times better than the selection that they had at the Red Garter Saloon.

Craft Beer Selection:

Great Lakes Brewing:

Commodore Perry IPA (A medium-bodied and well-hopped India pale ale with a dry, fruity finish)

Dortmunder Gold Lager (A smooth lager that strikes a delicate balance between sweet malt and dry hop flavors)

Eliot Ness Amber Lager (An amber lager with rich, fragrant malt flavors balanced by crisp noble hops)

Goose Island:

Sofie (Tart, dry, sparkling ale)

Kona Brewing:

Longboard Lager (Smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.)

Island Lager

Big Wave Golden Ale (Lighter bodied golden ale with a tropical hop aroma and flavor. The use of caramel malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and the special blend of hops provides bright quenching finish.)

Magic Hat #9

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Curious Travel Shandy

New Belgium Fat Tire

Sam Adams Boston Lager

Stella Artois Cidre

And for those that prefer a glass of wine...

Wine list

Wine Selection

Paper Moon Winery:

Romance Red Raspberry (sweet red)

Harvest Blend (sweet red)

Lighthouse Cayuga White (semi-dry white)

Mon Ami Winery:

Lake Erie Concord

American Semi-Sweet Merlot

Lake Erie White Catabwa

Firelands Winery:

Riesling (2013)

Pinot Grigio (2012)

Chardonnay (2012)

Gram-pa Mantey’s:

Old Fashioned Blue Face Concord (Medium-dry red)

Winery at Versailles:

Buckeye Blush (A blend of Vidal Blanc and Chambourcin create a fruity and slightly sweeter version of a White Zin with a softer finish and a rich color)

Ferrante:

Grand River Valley Golden Bunches Dry Riesling (Aromas and flavors of peach and citrus. Off dry, long finish)

Edit: Now that I think about it, I do recall from our visit a few weeks back that they had a tavern sign where the older guy used to do woodcarving sculptures. It's right on the left after you come out of the tunnel under MF heading towards Maverick.

mantis is 100 times better then green lantern. green lantern will beat the crap out of you with all the head banging.

I've noticed you bash Great Adventure quite a bit lately. I think Most people would say Green Lantern is slightly smoother and more enjoyable than Mantis, especially as GL doesn't suffer from trims on the first drop.

As for myself, neither are horrible coasters, but I think GL is a little better. They're not the best coasters out there, especially given the parks they're in, but both are better than the stand up at my home park- Apocalypse/Iron Wolf.

Green lantern is the only B&M stand up that I have ridden and i'll tell you this much, it's a lot Better than the Togo versions! I thought it was good. Nice and intense. I would've preferred if it was a sit down though. I think I would've liked it more then.

Green lantern is the only B&M stand up that I have ridden and i'll tell you this much, it's a lot Better than the Togo versions! I thought it was good. Nice and intense. I would've preferred if it was a sit down though. I think I would've liked it more then.

is togo the co who makes the stand up at kings dominion?

is togo the co who makes the stand up at kings dominion?

Yes. They also built SkyRider at Canada's Wonderland and the now defunct Viper at SFGAdv.

Viper at Six Flags Great Adventure was a sit down coaster. TOGO also built another defunct coaster, Ultra Twister at Six Flags Astroworld.