TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The website is saying that Superman is temporarily closed....anyone know whats going on with it?

It’s January at Six Flags.

Superman closes to save money during slower times. This has been a common practice for the past few winters.

I think this was already covered, but one of the ride electrician supervisors has been tasked with procuring the working LSMs from Dreamworld in Australia now that Tower of Terror is closed. Hopefully we'll see all of the LSMs actually working at some point in the future and the ride actually (reliably) goes 100mph again... They have had a lot of LSMs go bad over the past few years and Six Flags doesn't allocate the budget to have them replaced/remanufactured so getting a bunch of 'still good' LSMs from Dreamworld could definitely extend the lifespan of Superman.

And yes, maintenance intentionally under-powers the working motors to not stress them so that the motors' lifespan is extended. The park sill could (and does) launch the ride at 100mph, at least empty, but they would be killing a lot more motors a lot quicker if they were consistently doing full power launches.

The website is saying that Superman is temporarily closed....anyone know whats going on with it?

Superman closes to save money during slower times. This has been a common practice for the past few winters.

I think this was already covered, but one of the ride electrician supervisors has been tasked with procuring the working LSMs from Dreamworld in Australia now that Tower of Terror is closed. Hopefully we'll see all of the LSMs actually working at some point in the future and the ride actually (reliably) goes 100mph again... They have had a lot of LSMs go bad over the past few years and Six Flags doesn't allocate the budget to have them replaced/remanufactured so getting a bunch of 'still good' LSMs from Dreamworld could definitely extend the lifespan of Superman.

And yes, maintenance intentionally under-powers the working motors to not stress them so that the motors' lifespan is extended. The park sill could (and does) launch the ride at 100mph, at least empty, but they would be killing a lot more motors a lot quicker if they were consistently doing full power launches.

This is the most SFMM post ever.

^

Seriously, though, I know Six Flags handles their money worse than a crackhead looking for blow, but why wouldn't they even attempt to pool some cash for new LSMs from Intamin? Everywhere I've worked we have our maintenance budget, then within that budget is a smaller budget for the essentials like drill bits, saw blades, measuring tape, etc. The things we would be unable to operate without always took priority.

I actually understand not having a giant stock of such an expensive part, since that is a lot of expenses with no return until the part is actually needed, but it is odd (and yet so Six Flags) to not budget anything towards replacements if they KNOW they need them and they're going bad.

I just wonder what the actual cost savings is purchasing a used LSM from the other side of the world given Tower of Terror II was 11 years old when it closed. Perhaps it makes sense if they had extras in stock that are still new or their's were recently replaced with low cycle times on them. Otherwise it just seems like they are buying more motors that will also need to be replaced...

I went to Magic Mountain on Wednesday and had the best day ever at the park. The only closed rides that I could see were the three water rides that are drained and closed for the season, Riddlers Revenge, the unhelpful Honda funicular, and a few of the flat rides. The park was so dead that Superman was the only ride with a longer than one train wait. It was the first time that I have been able to get multiple rides on Full Throttle, Tatsu and Twisted Colossus without having to leave the station as long as I was willing to pick any open row in the middle. I figured out that it takes me exactly five consecutive rides on Tatsu in the back of the train before I am too dizzy for a sixth ride. It is also nice to be the only one at the bar in the back of the park, so you get served promptly.

I must admit I hated my first lap on West Coast Racers as I had my hands in the air and the uncomfortable collar hit me hard in my neck three times. I was sitting there in the pitstop watching Justin Bieber on the screen realizing my life had hit a low point when I decided to hold the collar open as far as I could with my hands during the second half of the ride instead of putting them up in the air. This ride suddenly went from my least favorite to one of the better ones in the park. The key to this ride is holding the collar open to your shoulder blades during the entire ride and all of the pain goes away making it is somehwhat fun. At least I went on it another six or seven times without any more pain and enjoyed it.

20200129_160853.thumb.jpg.ce01a7e367e1e8732f489f82f74ebf5c.jpg

Yep, even WCR was borderline empty - 2 trains with 2 people riding on this lap

20200129_150438.thumb.jpg.e9397ff41981d20d1188d497873f9de1.jpg

Have you ever seen only three people in line for Tatsu before?

As far as comfort collars, I am 6' tall and 190 lbs. You get jerked pretty hard on some of the elements. The collar wasn't that tight on my neck so it slipped around. I am just saying if you get your neck hit, there is an easy solution and you don't have to quit riding it.

As far as the closed flat rides, they were the Round-Up and Himalaya/Musik Express in Gothic City. Other than Crazanity, drop tower, and the bumper cars though, the rest of the flat rides had bored-looking attendants standing in the ride entrance. I didn't see anyone on the pirate ship, swings, or scrambler any time I walked by. Oh, and I forgot the upcharge attractions, go-carts, and giant arch swing ride were closed too. It was still worth it having all of those coasters practically to myself. I am like Cartman and hate lines.

You get a good workout in this park. If I spent 6 1/2 hours at Knott's, my Fitbit would be about 10,000 steps and 15 floors from climbing some coaster steps. The same time at Magic Mountain yesterday was 17,000 steps and 73 floors. This is close to climbing a 730' tall hill.

As far as comfort collars, I am 6' tall and 190 lbs. You get jerked pretty hard on some of the elements. The collar wasn't that tight on my neck so it slipped around. I am just saying if you get your neck hit, there is an easy solution and you don't have to quit riding it.

That was kind of my experience with it as well. The collar is very loose, and for as slow and tame as the ride is, some of the elements really do fling you around, which makes the collar slap you around the face / neck.

^ I can’t see them doing that, simply because of the bad reputation Green Lantern had. Most park goers won’t realize that it’s a completely different ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, though, I know Six Flags handles their money worse than a crackhead looking for blow, but why wouldn't they even attempt to pool some cash for new LSMs from Intamin? Everywhere I've worked we have our maintenance budget, then within that budget is a smaller budget for the essentials like drill bits, saw blades, measuring tape, etc. The things we would be unable to operate without always took priority.

I actually understand not having a giant stock of such an expensive part, since that is a lot of expenses with no return until the part is actually needed, but it is odd (and yet so Six Flags) to not budget anything towards replacements if they KNOW they need them and they're going bad.

I just wonder what the actual cost savings is purchasing a used LSM from the other side of the world given Tower of Terror II was 11 years old when it closed. Perhaps it makes sense if they had extras in stock that are still new or their's were recently replaced with low cycle times on them. Otherwise it just seems like they are buying more motors that will also need to be replaced...

Six Flags has always tried to keep their overhead low by not having too many 'non essential' parts in stock since it could be years before those parts are technically 'paid' for, which sucks but that's the way Six Flags has chosen to do business for better or (definitely) for worse.

I need to correct my statement when I said that the park doesn't have a budget for the LSMs, they actually do have a budget for them, but it's really small and they blow through it every year. They lose more motors than they repair so they can't keep up with it and end up moving motors around on the track and under-powering the remaining ones. It's also cheaper for the park to wait until they have a decent amount that need to be replaced and buy them all at once.

To my knowledge Intamin doesn't actually support the motors as it was a contracted part and the park has been in turn contracting a highly specialized mechanic that repairs them (and since it's so specialized it's quite a bit of money).

At the end of the day the park would need a LOT more budget allocated to the maintenance of the LSMs than they currently have, so if the park can get more motors at a discount (even if they are used), they're going to jump on that chance. Dreamworld's motors would be giving Superman a new lease on life at a pretty good discount.

**Speculation time**

I'm not even sure that down the line if the park/company will ever spend the necessary money for Superman; we might end up down to one side permanently as motors start to get cannibalized from one side of the track to feed the other. This is possibly the slow death of the ride and Dreamworld's motors are prolonging it for a bit. Unless they can come up with another gimmick like they did in 2011 where they can market it again as a 'new' experience and justify higher expenses for a tangible ROI, the ride has a limited lease on life IMO. I'm not even sure if I'd miss Superman for anything other than its historical value.

**/End speculation time**

Overall I find the business decisions that Magic Mountain makes very fascinating as they constantly seem to have a chicken and egg problem they're always on the wrong side of.

Six Flags has always tried to keep their overhead low by not having too many 'non essential' parts in stock since it could be years before those parts are technically 'paid' for, which sucks but that's the way Six Flags has chosen to do business for better or (definitely) for worse.

I need to correct my statement when I said that the park doesn't have a budget for the LSMs, they actually do have a budget for them, but it's really small and they blow through it every year. They lose more motors than they repair so they can't keep up with it and end up moving motors around on the track and under-powering the remaining ones. It's also cheaper for the park to wait until they have a decent amount that need to be replaced and buy them all at once.

To my knowledge Intamin doesn't actually support the motors as it was a contracted part and the park has been in turn contracting a highly specialized mechanic that repairs them (and since it's so specialized it's quite a bit of money).

At the end of the day the park would need a LOT more budget allocated to the maintenance of the LSMs than they currently have, so if the park can get more motors at a discount (even if they are used), they're going to jump on that chance. Dreamworld's motors would be giving Superman a new lease on life at a pretty good discount.

**Speculation time**

I'm not even sure that down the line if the park/company will ever spend the necessary money for Superman; we might end up down to one side permanently as motors start to get cannibalized from one side of the track to feed the other. This is possibly the slow death of the ride and Dreamworld's motors are prolonging it for a bit. Unless they can come up with another gimmick like they did in 2011 where they can market it again as a 'new' experience and justify higher expenses for a tangible ROI, the ride has a limited lease on life IMO. I'm not even sure if I'd miss Superman for anything other than its historical value.

**/End speculation time**

Overall I find the business decisions that Magic Mountain makes very fascinating as they constantly seem to have a chicken and egg problem they're always on the wrong side of.

Magic Mountain did have that poorly illustrated question on their customer survey about changing Superman into a continuous circuit coaster with some sort of tophat added to it and it would make sense at the end of the current motors' lifespans. I can see them making Superman taller or faster to claim a new record. It will be called Superman II - defeating General Zod!

1983863500_Annotation2020-01-31095434.png.80cf5e160f1a4765c92307222695108f.png

09b51d84503a9aa98fb3ad7619c5f25a.png

https://www.facebook.com/537015473442196/posts/many-thought-the-last-we-would-see-of-tower-of-terror-was-on-november-3-but-toda/791501241326950/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me... However, this wording:

...which will help the team at Magic Mountain keep TOT's sister ride, Superman Escape From Krypton running for a few more years...

Make's it seem like Superman won't be around that much longer...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯