TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Question about Cyclops - Is the "18 and up" rule enforced? And is the "airtime drop" good in the second-to-back car (third row from the back?) Finally, does the ride have seatbelts?

The 18 and up rule is no longer being enforced. I went to Mount Olympus this weekend and the Saturday previous and I believe for the most part the operator was the same person. Even with the other operator nothing was said to the people who came on the trip with me who were 10, 11, and 14 years old.

That rule really does not make any sense to me. Nobody has ever been flung out of their seat while on Cyclops. It seems the ride was so geniously created that it gives the impression that you may fall out of your seat, but I felt as if the forces being put on your body actually make you stay glued to your seat.

I found that the last row or the second to the last row on Cyclops are basically the same thing. The airtime drop is still good in the thrid car from the back, but certainly not as good. If you are under 18 and concerned about this I don't think there would be a problem. Especially if you go with an adult on your first ride.

They do have seatbelts on this ride. I recommend not only carefully putting them on correctly prior to the start of the ride, but also to checking them before the drop of death. The belt did get loose on me a few times, but that "may" have been my own fault. Either way I am an unknown roller coaster enthusiast, but if I died on Cyclops I would become immortal.

• 2 months later...

Manticore - New in 2015

Mt. Olympus is proud to present the latest new tower ride: “Manticore”. This vertical swing offers a spectacular view of the entire Theme Park and Water Park and is a perfect centerpiece.

Standing more than 140 feet tall, the Manticore is a high impact and high capacity ride in a small footprint. The ride is made by one 140 feet tall tower, one rotating and lifting center equipped with 12 single-connected arms, and 12 double-seat chairs hooked with 4 chains each. The Manticore can accommodate 24 guests and is themed. It is lit with a barrage of LED lights on all four column sides.

1920x602_manticore1.thumb.jpg.10315dcfdd920ff1ede5d9deea6d1ae5.jpg

similar-manticore2.jpg.09deb0b1d7ac04450cde6d4df9fc8083.jpg

Glad to see the park adding an adult flat ride that (hopefully) isn't an upcharge. Should be pretty popular.

With the capacity it has, it won't be upcharge. And I agree with your joy that the park is adding more adult flat rides. Hopefully they begin focusing more on the park and keeping all rides from needing major rehab. Would an Intamin or Chance/Morgan Mega-lite be more likely for this park? The Intamin version needs to make American appearances.

I find it humorous how the ride description says that it will be a high-capacity ride. This is Mt. Olympus we're talking about here. The ride ops will probably be too busy Snapchatting and goofing off to care about capacity. ;)

Having never been to Mt Olympus and reading all the comments I'm tempted to ask: Is it really that bad?

Went this summer and had a fun time. The only rough ride was Zeus. Hades 360 was running very well.

I think it's funny that I've read lots of horrible things about Mt. Olympus and great things about Hellcat and Timber Falls, yet for me it's the opposite.

Having never been to Mt Olympus and reading all the comments I'm tempted to ask: Is it really that bad?

Mt. Olympus is usually very cheap to get into (and stay at), and, well, you basically get what you pay for. If you go in with low expectations I personally think it's fine, but for some people (such as my wife, unfortunately) it's just too trashy to ever consider going to again.

^yeah its way worse than SFA

In 2005, It took me over 2 hours to ride 2 rides at Mt. Olympus. Pretty sure I could get on 10 rides at Six Flags America in that time.

Plus I felt much safer at Six Flags America then Mt. Olympus. I'd gladly go back to SFAm, Mt. Olympus is a different story.

I don't Mt. Olympus is as bad as people make it out to be. When the park was Big Chief Carts and Coasters it was pretty sketchy. Back then it didn't seem like any employees spoke English and the management were jerks. Most of the time when I rode the coasters my restraints weren't checked. One time I rode Cyclops and my restraints was up high and my seat belt was loose. I damn near stood up on the drop of death and it scared the hell out of me. The go karts had a 3 strike policy, which was ridiculous. The go kart rules were too subjective and I think the ops liked giving strikes. People were getting 3 strikes within an hour. Some of them may have deserved it, but it was out of hand. People were getting strikes for going too fast, going too slow, bumping, crashing, etc. It's hard to avoid those things when people aren't experienced and every go kart operates differently. Thank god they are more lenient now.

Ever since it has become Mt. Olympus I haven't had a bad experience. I haven't been there since 2006 so some things may have changed. The ride ops don't always check my restraints, but I expect that. The coasters are usually in good shape except Hades. Opening year Hades was rough, which I didn't understand. I always thought it was fun and I have not been on Hades 360. Zeus is another good coaster and Cyclops has the awesome drop of death. There are a wide variety of go kart tracks and they are a lot of fun. The flat ride selection is small from what I remember. I'm not into water parks anymore, but they have a pretty good water park. I would recommend visiting the park.

Did anyone ever go to the other Big Chief location down the road? I never went there, but I drove by it a few times. It looked small and I could only see a few small go kart tracks from the road. Some friends told me that the go karts there were better, but the current park had the better tracks.