Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 pm

I've never had that experience on a summer day at SFGam or most other parks, including my home park SFStl. The only time I can really remember that happening was at SFFT when it was 100 degrees, over ten years ago.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RaceBoarder » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm

grsupercity wrote:Most parks not named Cedar Point you can stroll into a park on a random Wed and walk right on most major rides. In all my park travels Cedar point is the only park that gets consistent crazy long wait times.

Maybe you get a break for the 1st hour or so of operations, but most parks need some outside factor to be in your favor (weather or random, dumb luck).

It can happen, yes, but I wouldn't bet the farm on this in general. At SFGAm, I wouldn't put more than $20 on that bet. If you are coming to this park, you will most likely have lines.... No way around it.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby JG-77 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Oddly enough, my one visit to SFGAm was last summer on an overcast Friday in July. The weather forecasted significant storms, but it wound up just being a combined total of maybe 30-60 min of light rain scattered throughout the whole day. And the park was dead. I'm talking walk ons for most of the rides, station waits for Goliath (with some walk-ons), just halfway down the stairs for Raging Bull. Even X-flight and Superman had absolutely no line, and were somehow still running two train IIRC. I rode X-flight twice in a row without getting up. That day was awesome, but since it was a Friday in July, it was probably just a weird fluke.

At some smaller parks though (like my home park SFA), if you come on a random Wednesday even in the summer, you can expect short lines for most rides.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Lotologist492 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
southpuddle wrote:I was gonna say... so you’re ok with waiting 4 hours for Pirates, which is a 15 minute ride?

I would not be OK with riding that. I've ridden it too many times to count when its a walk-on. I would not be OK with waiting a long time to ride Mean Streak unless I needed the credit. At Cedar Point, I try to buy to the FL+ to get my production on Steel Vengeance. Any more negativity or trying to poke holes in my logic guys?

I guess I'm just a little surprised at how people don't try to factor in ratio of wait time to ride length.

Think less...party more....

Waiting in line is not always a bad thing. It is nice to be able to talk with your friends and other enthusiasts while waiting. Plus if a queue house is themed well and tells a story, all the better.

Postby Superbatboy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am

Lotologist492 wrote:
southpuddle wrote:I was gonna say... so you’re ok with waiting 4 hours for Pirates, which is a 15 minute ride?

I would not be OK with riding that. I've ridden it too many times to count when its a walk-on. I would not be OK with waiting a long time to ride Mean Streak unless I needed the credit. At Cedar Point, I try to buy to the FL+ to get my production on Steel Vengeance. Any more negativity or trying to poke holes in my logic guys?

I guess I'm just a little surprised at how people don't try to factor in ratio of wait time to ride length.

Think less...party more....

Waiting in line is not always a bad thing. It is nice to be able to talk with your friends and other enthusiasts while waiting. Plus if a queue house is themed well and tells a story, all the better.

:nina:
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby prozach626 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Not for me. I'd rather have the ability to walk around the park, watch all of the rides run, grab a snack, etc. I can talk to my wife whether I'm standing in a queue surrounded by teenagers bumping into me with hormones and adolescent behavior going full bore, or I can talk to her while walking through the park. That, and I don't have to talk to other enthusiasts.

Also, as I was thinking about it, one park that does frequently give station waits throughout the park is KK.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:30 pm

So I'm guessing you think the best theme park is Dorney, right?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:21 am

The irony of all this is that Raging Bull is 70 seconds (1:10) from drop to brakes, which is about close to as long as it gets for most coasters.

Postby Superbatboy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Imagine going to Cedar Point (on a slow day mind you) and only being able to ride Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Blue Streak, and Corkscrew for the sake of trying to be edgy :lol:
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby dmh1079 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 am

^Don't forget the CP&LE Railroad. You can just stay on the ride to minimize your queue-to-ride-duration ratio.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!