Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 pm

It's a solid if short term strategy. Eventually you will run out of days to add to the calendar. Glad to hear they were looking at YoY per park and not just relying on the new parks to carry revenue growth. I say whatever keeps Batman running in January is good news.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:44 pm

theredskull84 wrote:^That’s interesting to hear, actually. Also, I found a couple more good pics courtesy of the Daily Herald (local newspaper)

Oh nice, so the ride is almost complete? :lmao:
Im sure itll be fun, the launch will deff be nuts but what a short ride! Chose KW for Steel Curtain over this (Ill prob go 2020) but also...I kinda assumed this ride would be near done given how short it is. Look at progress on Steel Curtain or Copperhead which is done, and they have part of one element up? lol
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ilrider » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:53 pm

^The ride will open in late May. They have no reason for it to be done yet. SF parks build their stuff later than some parks. They just started going vertical in January, and there were days crews could not work because wind chills were 50 below zero a couple weeks ago. They are not trying to race to beat other parks.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby prozach626 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm

ilrider wrote:there were days crews could not work because wind chills were 50 below zero a couple weeks ago. They are not trying to race to beat other parks.

Curious what excuse Magic Mountain gives.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:25 pm

prozach626 wrote:
ilrider wrote:there were days crews could not work because wind chills were 50 below zero a couple weeks ago. They are not trying to race to beat other parks.

Curious what excuse Magic Mountain gives.

Well, let's see, it's California, so I'm guessing this is the most likely scenario:

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BlahBlahson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:33 pm

I think it's a wise strategy for Six Flags to open their rides later than other parks tbh and I think enthusiasts are spoiled on this. Their whole marketing and pricing strategy is to get people to go more than once to the park and therefore spend more at the park. Why not open your rides in late may or June rather than in April when people can first visit. You will have people coming back to do the new ride. If SFMM opens West Coast Racers in August it's still a new for 2018 attraction. They are open 365 so why does it matter what season they open the ride in.

Admittedly I don't know much about construction costs but logically I have to imagine avoiding hard "deadlines" like opening day or memorial day, and spreading capital meant for construction across multiple financial quarters helps on costs and accounting as well.

Also it's Six Flags and an annual pass is like 60 bucks. Central Florida parks are all over 100 for a 1 day ticket. We all know what to expect.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ilrider » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Drove by today and two more sets of supports are up.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 am

Hey, I was thinking about cancelling my plans to hit up the park at the end of July due to budgeting, but now I'm thinking of restructuring my plans a little bit. I'd drive down Friday from Minneapolis, which at best would put me in the park about 7pm and staying til close. I'd spend the night in town, and then spend rope-drop until about 3 or 4 in the park, and then leaving for Milwaukee for a Weird Al show. I've been to the park before, so this would likely just be a lap or two around the park riding the new stuff and some old favorites. Without Flash pass, would I likely be able to hit everything?
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Mall of America

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:34 am

BlahBlahson wrote:I think it's a wise strategy for Six Flags to open their rides later than other parks tbh and I think enthusiasts are spoiled on this.

Enthusiasts are spoiled because most chains at least try to have their new attractions which they market open with the park?

Their whole marketing and pricing strategy is to get people to go more than once to the park and therefore spend more at the park. Why not open your rides in late may or June rather than in April when people can first visit.

Why open all your rides in the park? Tell people that if you come back in July, the other half of the park will be open that's not right now. That'll bring 'em back and sell passes. Don't be entitled and suggest this is a bad idea.

If SFMM opens West Coast Racers in August it's still a new for 2018 attraction. They are open 365 so why does it matter what season they open the ride in.

Yeah, I mean it isn't like they report their earnings on a quarterly basis to shareholders and summer is considered a peak period of operation for them thanks to schools being out or anything. Why would they want to pop the attendance numbers then? It's only when their audience is available to come. Nothing important.

Admittedly I don't know much about construction costs but logically I have to imagine avoiding hard "deadlines" like opening day or memorial day, and spreading capital meant for construction across multiple financial quarters helps on costs and accounting as well.

Definitely a great idea to delay return on your investment as long as possible too. If I owned shares in SIX, I wouldn't at all be frustrated to see that revenue from their capital expenditures could only be properly marketed for the last 4-5 months of a fiscal and calendar year, especially when you've got like, I dunno, 60ish days in that entire span of time to be open and make money in the Chicagoland area?

BTW: Orlando parks don't cost $100+ a day because they're necessarily better, they're $100+ a day because the market is distorted by Disney. Fun Spot one day wristbands are something like $50, and that place ain't at the level of a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park priced similarly.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:44 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:Hey, I was thinking about cancelling my plans to hit up the park at the end of July due to budgeting, but now I'm thinking of restructuring my plans a little bit. I'd drive down Friday from Minneapolis, which at best would put me in the park about 7pm and staying til close. I'd spend the night in town, and then spend rope-drop until about 3 or 4 in the park, and then leaving for Milwaukee for a Weird Al show. I've been to the park before, so this would likely just be a lap or two around the park riding the new stuff and some old favorites. Without Flash pass, would I likely be able to hit everything?

End of July? No, not everything. All the new stuff since you were there last, sure. Also, they haven't announced Flash Pass rides yet, but it's virtually guaranteed MaxxForce will be Platinum only this year.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!