TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 766 - HeartSong resort announced!

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Prior to 1986 before Dolly came in, the park was known as SDC Tennessee back when the Hershends first took possession. Also you can already get deep discounts with a SDC or Dollywood pass to gain entry to either park.

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I call this or what? Anyway, I did better side-by-side comparison for you.

Luckily any day now Lightning Rod is probably due to launch a wheel into a mountain or spontaneously combust or something so we can stop talking about covid...

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

Posted Images

Dolly Parton is a great human. Maybe she's decided she wants out of the theme park biz? I won't judge her for it. 

Rumors of Dolly leaving the park have been making the rounds the last 6-12 months.  I've heard it'll happen in the next few years.  No idea when their current agreements end.  I can't say with any certainly this is happening, but I first heard it last fall from a friend, and a couple times since then.  I live in the area. Not sure how the market would react.  That would be something to see.  Social reaction would be wild.

Wouldn't really bother me.  I grew up with it being SDC.  I wouldn't post this myself, but can't say I haven't heard these rumors from different friends in the area.

:( Dolly is what makes Dollywood so unique! But I also respect that she's not getting any younger and probably doesn't want to have to deal with promotional stuff as much and what-not.

But what will happen with her museum? That thing HAS to be rebuilt elsewhere if they want to get rid of it at the park. I could've spent the entire day in there! People need to know what an amazing woman Dolly is!

Hmm, interesting. Seconded on the museum though, that was absolutely great, as was the show with all of Dolly's family performing. It wouldn't be the same, but an SDC Tennessee wouldn't be bad either. Dolly's smart; if she does get out, she'll have a damn good reason for doing so.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, coneyislandchris said:

I just don't see it happening, honestly.

Yeah, but I also didn't see a global pandemic shutting parks down for over a year and yet here we are!  Nothing surprises me anymore. 

• Like 2

I guess it's easier said than done, but even if Dolly wants to step down it would be nice if they were able to continue using her name like they do at Bobbejaanland.

• Like 3

If Dolly Parton is in fact selling her stake or whatever, there can still be licensing agreements in place to keep the museum going, bring her and others in for shows, etc...

I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons that she's stuck around for so long is because she and Herschend's brand mesh together so well. Silver Dollar City and Dollywood are IMO the best theme parks in the US not named Disney or Universal, I don't see that changing a whole lot. Maybe a little less butterflies though.

• Like 3

Here is the full screen shot of the Dollywood survey showing the name change to Silver Dollywood for next season. Was it a typo or is an announcement going to come soon?

SilverDollywood.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 7:11 PM, dankeykang said:

Nah, personally I wouldn't feel sorry for them.  Thinking that a line skipping pass is necessary on a Wednesday in April (not during spring break) is fairly poor judgement at almost any theme park IMO.  

Sounds like most people have been having pretty positive experiences at Dollywood so far this year, which is good to hear.

Fortunately it doesn't matter all that much since Dollywood gave us a refund for this exact situation no questions asked (we opted for a transfer). We admitted it was our fault and they actually let us apply it to the next day which was much busier. SWO is another park that's also been really good about this kind of thing as well.

I don't have it in my anymore to wait hours on end, so it's not a risk I take anymore when planning trips especially over 5 hours away. Dollywood can easily be a park that it's needed for when it is busy.

• Like 1

Dollywood is such an iconic name for a park. Even my non-enthusiast friends around the country are familiar with it. I really hope even if Dolly parts ways with the park that Herschend can strike a deal to continue using her name.

Would certainly miss her presence, regardless.

• Like 4

Honestly, I feel the survey was just a typo. I work for a company with three brands. Communications, surveys, what not sure always similar. Lots of copy/pasting.. Doesnt SDC have similar, if not the same, festivals? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Was it a typo or is an announcement going to come soon?

Typo since it only one of 3 lines and the other two just say Dollywood.

As nice as SDC is, Dolly is a big part of the draw and without it DW would just be a little regional park (like it was before she got involved).

Just compare the activity in this thread to the SFC thread. This one might be 350 pages if it was SDC East instead of DW.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DBru said:

Dollywood is such an iconic name for a park. Even my non-enthusiast friends around the country are familiar with it. I really hope even if Dolly parts ways with the park that Herschend can strike a deal to continue using her name.

My thoughts exactly. Dollywood is very recognizable and is almost certainly the most well known non-chain-branded park when it comes to the non-enthusiast people I know, at least for being halfway across the country from it. The name in itself is a draw with Dolly's popularity nation-wide, and it'd be unfortunate to lose that. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TEDodd said:

As nice as SDC is, Dolly is a big part of the draw and without it DW would just be a little regional park (like it was before she got involved).

Just compare the activity in this thread to the SFC thread. This one might be 350 pages if it was SDC East instead of DW.

That might indeed be true (and if Lightning Rod was never built LOL)

Though on a serious note I do feel Hershend did invest more into DW over SDC up until the past decade which also contributed to the bigger draw. Just look at how quickly DW expanded their real estate (and coaster count) vs SDC from 2000 to now.

2000-2010 SDC got Wildfire, a family flat ride area, and the kiddie coaster. (Powderkeg was a conversion of the short lived Buzzsaw Falls literally reusing most of its track for the mid course, so its debatable if it counts) In fact SDC lost some stuff (Waterboggan and kids play areas) during that time that never got fully replaced. Also SDC's classic Fire In The Hole ride is in disrepair and might actually be demo'd in the coming years while DW fixed their version up. DW added several family/kids play areas, flat rides, Thunderhead, and Mystery Mine.

2010-2020 DW continued its coaster investments with their own kiddie coaster, Wild Eagle, Firechaser, Lightning Rod, and the large family expansion area with Dragonflier. SDC got Outlaw Run, Time Traveler, Firemans Landing and Mystic River Falls. (again with the latter two being a retooling of the site of a former attraction)

Branson's pretty far out for most people. Our population density really still is along the East Coast, so Dollywood is easier to reach for most Americans. Thus it has higher attendance than SDC. If you have more guests, you need and can afford more attractions. More attractions means more buzz on the Internet.  All these things are related.

Like the case of Busch Gardens, I can't imagine they'd want to change the name unless they had to, even if everything beyond that is debranded. There are some disadvantages though of the association,, not everyone likes country music or Dolly, and she's not becoming more popular.

Hershend is expanding though, so it could become "Silver Dollar City's Dollywood" or "... a Hershend Park"

14 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Here is the full screen shot of the Dollywood survey showing the name change to Silver Dollywood for next season. Was it a typo or is an announcement going to come soon?

Silver Dolly City 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Even if the name does change in some form, such as to Silver Dollywood, no one is going to be going out of their way to call it that, with the exceptions of employees maybe.  So that means if that were to happen, Splash Country would officially be Silver Dollywood’s Splash Country? LOL...I mean, give me a break.  No one calls it Dollywood’s Splash Country now.  It’s just commonly referred to as “Splash Country.”  I think the park is sending out mixed messages this season anyway.  This year’s park brochure is the first year to prominently display Dolly’s image in as long as 15 years!  She has been absent from it for quite some time now (with the exception of her image associated with her Stampede Dinner Show.)   Also, she has been doing more voice-overs lately in television and internet ads as well.  So if she is truly on her way out soon or not as involved, why would the park’s current marketing efforts include expanded use of Dolly’s contributions? 

54A2021A-E919-4C17-88E8-E579A351A935.png

Seemed Drop Line was running a different cycle today. It rotated as it went up. Then, near the top it stopped lifting and did a 360. Then, it slowly starts rising and drops immediately after 5 or 10 feet. Good stuff.

8 hours ago, DollyWould said:

Even if the name does change in some form, such as to Silver Dollywood, no one is going to be going out of their way to call it that, with the exceptions of employees maybe.  So that means if that were to happen, Splash Country would officially be Silver Dollywood’s Splash Country? LOL...I mean, give me a break.  No one calls it Dollywood’s Splash Country now.  It’s just commonly referred to as “Splash Country.”  I think the park is sending out mixed messages this season anyway.  This year’s park brochure is the first year to prominently display Dolly’s image in as long as 15 years!  She has been absent from it for quite some time now (with the exception of her image associated with her Stampede Dinner Show.)   Also, she has been doing more voice-overs lately in television and internet ads as well.  So if she is truly on her way out soon or not as involved, why would the park’s current marketing efforts include expanded use of Dolly’s contributions? 

54A2021A-E919-4C17-88E8-E579A351A935.png

Could be her grand farewell. They've removed her photos from the outside of Dolly's Closet (not sure why that store is still there because nobody dresses like Dolly except for Dolly). They removed the ticket booths inside the park for The Stampede and they removed her picture in the Emporium on the way out. When you think about it, other than Dolly's Closet, there's nothing in the park that is Dolly themed at all, except for junk in the gift shops. It could be called anything and nothing else would have to change, except for merchandise in the stores. All the rides and shows could stay the same. I would be happy with way less, country, gospel and religious music than they have now. I'd love to see more pop, rock and other types of music. It would open it up to a wider audience. Dolly doesn't ride the rides anyway, so she has nothing to do with them. I doubt she even has much input when new rides are chosen and negotiated. She's also no spring chicken anymore and might be thinking about retiring or focusing on other things like her library, music, perfume and books. Going back to Silver Dollar City could be a win-win for east Tennessee.

4 minutes ago, tndank said:

Seemed Drop Line was running a different cycle today. It rotated as it went up. Then, near the top it stopped lifting and did a 360. Then, it slowly starts rising and drops immediately after 5 or 10 feet. Good stuff.

There are three or four different options they can use on Drop Line. The one you had today is for less busy days when there is little to no line. When it's busy, it's a straight up, pause, then down.

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info. I've only had the standard "to the top, pause and drop" that I know of. There was zero line last couple hours today. Makes sense.

31 minutes ago, tndank said:

Yeah it has a slow cycle and they were running it now that it can be full capacity again! Slow cycle includes time to view the park.

• Like 1