TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^Strange that they could put a coaster like Twisted Colossus on top of wood that is 45 years old, and that thing even with its g's is not getting torn apart, but they build one from scratch and all of a sudden it can't handle it? I don't buy it. I think this entire delay has to do with the dumb magnetic launched lift that is totally unnecessary and going to be a problematic headache from here on out unless they dump the idea or ask Intamin for a hand a-la Maverick.

To be completely honest in watching that video, the thing picks up pretty quickly at the bottom of the lift and I could see it being rather uncomfortable for folks in the back couple rows going from flat to up the lift. Me personally would probably handle it fine, but for most of the GP, eh I dunno.

I didn't and still don't understand the need for a launched lift? Was this done just to be a first? It just SCREAMED maintenance and downtime nightmare from the get-go, and well, here we are. How about screw the magnets and put in a traditional chain lift? Pretty sure I've never heard anyone complain that an RMC has a traditional chain lift on any of their coasters. Some might say well it needs the speed from the launched lift to finish the course...I'm sure a few modifications here or there on the track could fix that.

If Maverick can have a pretty decent magnetic lift hill I don't get why this ride can't either.

What a frickin headache. I think this is the first one from RMC. I wonder if the launch lift was their idea or Dollywoods.

[youtu_be]
[/youtu_be]

I think the launched lift is pointless and cool all at the same time. Given the tech now I don't understand why more companies do not invest in these magnetic launched lift hills. It seems like it would increase capacity.

It would only increase capacity if there's a coaster out there where ride ops generally have the train locked, checked and clear for dispatch and standing around waiting for the train to clear the lift before they can send it. The only coasters on earth where I've ever seen ride ops that were so fast that they were standing around waiting until they could send the train are Phoenix and Twister. Outside of Knoebels I've never seen that be an issue and Knoebels isn't really a "launched lift hill on a wood coaster" kind of park.

In a strange way I'm sort of enjoying the delay. It is making the ride almost infamous. I kind of have this feeling that in a few years, if not BEFORE it opens, major modifications will have to be made to either the launch or the layout.

Also, as fine as I am with putting a traditional chain on the damn thing, I sort of feel like the launch is what will put the ride from maybe a top 10 woodie in the world to an insane, out of control top 3 or 4. So I'm really hoping they can get it working.

Just showed my partner the video of the launch!

He got excited, and asked me:

"Will Lighting Rod be our first launched wooden coaster together?!?!" (He knows there are no other launched wooden coasters in the world)

I said "Yes, yes it will be..."

He responded with "No it wont... Hashtag It'll Never Open."

I quit this day... Where's the vodka?!

Now that's funny!!

#ItllNeverOpen

I think the launched lift is pointless and cool all at the same time.

A big kick in the butt up the lift hill and then airtime over the crest and into the drop... and then haul ass through the whole ride...

Forgive me, but how on earth do you find that pointless?

I think the launched lift is pointless and cool all at the same time.

A big kick in the butt up the lift hill and then airtime over the crest and into the drop... and then haul A$$ through the whole ride...

Forgive me, but how on earth do you find that pointless?

Exactly! This coaster is themed after a hot rod. I don't think a coaster that's themed after a hot rod would have a slow climb up a mountain, that just doesn't kick off "speed" to me. Plus the "Peel out" wouldn't make sense. To have the train "burn rubber" and speed up the hill just simply makes more sense for a 1950's hot rod themed coaster.

Seriously, it's almost like they're messing with us now.

Might be risky to open over Memorial Day Weekend. Huge crowds, and if something goes wrong, there will be quite a bit of backlash.