TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

This will be my first year going to Smoky Mtn Christmas... just a quick question guys. I have the option of going on Dec 19th or Dec 26th, both are Saturdays. Does anyone know which would be less busy? I would have assumed the day after Christmas, but with it being a Saturday I'm just not sure.

This will be my first year going to Smoky Mtn Christmas... just a quick question guys. I have the option of going on Dec 19th or Dec 26th, both are Saturdays. Does anyone know which would be less busy? I would have assumed the day after Christmas, but with it being a Saturday I'm just not sure.

If it's feasible, don't make the decision until a day or 2 before and base it on the temperature forecasts (coasters only open if it gets above 40 degrees, it usually does but not always). Crowds are a non issue because the skip the line passes are insanely cheap.

Yea when I was driving up to clingmans dome I was thinking man this would be an obnoxious amount of fun with a VW GTI. Saving up for one now!!

I've stayed at quite a few hotels in the area, if you do stay at a hotel the difference between 40 dollars a night and 70 dollars a night is well worth the difference. We stayed at river place inn and it was great for a 45 dollar a night place until we found bed bugs and their solution was to move us to the room next door, it really put a damper on the whole trip. We stayed at the clarion inn this year the first night before going to the cabin and it was a beautiful hotel, was only 70 bucks.

My wife and I stay at the Clarion Inn also. We only had one bad experience out of many good visits!

We stayed at the Comfort Inn/Suites near the entrance to Dollywood Lane and that was quite nice - I believe it ran about $100 per night.

Regarding the bed bugs, I don't think that moving to the next room would have worked for me...if one room is infested, chances are they all are. I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night!

Ok so I was just curious. Someone said that the structure on the top of the launch was to keep bee's/wasps away right? How would just only that structure keep them away when in result that would give them more places to build nests and hives. I could possibly see them putting a mist to keep them away up there but other than that, still not for sure. You would think if there was going to be a tunnel they would've announced it at IAAPA.

Thanksgiving Day at Dollywood was much more busy than i thought it would be, still had a good time though. Anyone know why the Mystery Mine vulture is missing? (I love that little guy) The pre-drop fire wasn't working either, it was just a sorry version of lighting effects. I really don't know what's up with that as it was fine a week ago. Anyway, Thunderhead at night is one of the parks greatest experiences. (Highly recommended)

You would think if there was going to be a tunnel they would've announced it at IAAPA.

No they wouldn't. A tunnel, especially one that only exists at the tippy-top of the launch hill, is trivial and they could very well add it after opening if they wanted to.

Was there this much commotion about tunnels when Gold Striker was being built? I don't even remember.

Thanksgiving Day at Dollywood was much more busy than i thought it would be, still had a good time though. Anyone know why the Mystery Mine vulture is missing? (I love that little guy) The pre-drop fire wasn't working either, it was just a sorry version of lighting effects. I really don't know what's up with that as it was fine a week ago. Anyway, Thunderhead at night is one of the parks greatest experiences. (Highly recommended)

I figured it would be busy.. It gives family's something to do while they are all together.. Some people can only make it in on Thanksgiving day and leave out the next. That's my theory anyways ha-ha.. Glad it worked out for them but i still feel bad for the employees.. I'd rather be running a ride though than working black Friday at Walmart haha

Thanksgiving Day at Dollywood was much more busy than i thought it would be, still had a good time though. Anyone know why the Mystery Mine vulture is missing? (I love that little guy) The pre-drop fire wasn't working either, it was just a sorry version of lighting effects. I really don't know what's up with that as it was fine a week ago.

I asked an employee when I was there and they said he was getting refurbished and will be back. The timing of the fire seemed to be a little bit off when I was there also. Before,the drop and fire seemed to be synchronized but it seemed like now the fire went off then you were held for a second and then dropped. Hopefully they are just working on it because if that was not on the ride it would really take away from it IMO.

Down in Pigeon Forge at the moment, it's a soggy/rainy day. We were contemplating on either going on this wet day or just waiting a couple months. Being we have so much Christmas shopping to do we decided to pop in the employee lot and just check out the coaster again. Footers are all the way up the hill to and have been partially started down the quad down hill. From what I could tell no more structure nor track had gone up from what had been posted. Well maybe the highest peak to the wave turn. The station on the other hand is getting done very quickly. The "brick" from what I could see was all the way on the front and looked extremely nice! The catwalks were also being started on the launch.

image.thumb.jpeg.029bdcc4ed80ad08d716e165556c26aa.jpeg

This one was taken at a weird angle, but the footers are peaking out at the bottom.

image.thumb.jpeg.f57f96920fe38c868c143b615660afd5.jpeg

The different shaping on the first hill vs the second hill is very interesting, or maybe it's just me.

First hill looks like it's more triangular and will give a very abrupt pop like on Magnum

Second Hill looks like it will deliver very sustained ejector/floater air like on el toro.

I can't wait to experience this combo!