TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Yeah, that's why I'm okay with it. They've basically made a name for themselves in restoring and maintaining classic attractions to modern standards.

This is absolutely a safety / standards thing, I would bet that they're legally required to completely empty the train and clear the platform of guests before letting new guests in. I would also bet that Twister will be getting gates as well very soon, if it hasn't already. I'm sure someone who gets bored over the next few days will find it in writing.

Where is this law or standard? ASTM which guides most PA laws and regulations has nothing about clearing platforms before letting the next group into the station. If Knoebels is being forced by anyone to modify loading platforms on Phoenix or possibly Twister, it would most likely be their insurance provider.

Where is this law or standard? ASTM which guides most PA laws and regulations has nothing about clearing platforms before letting the next group into the station. If Knoebels is being forced by anyone to modify loading platforms on Phoenix or possibly Twister, it would most likely be their insurance provider.

Apologies, poor choice of words. It's probably not ASTM or the state of PA but I'm still willing to bet that it's an outside source "politely suggesting" that changes be made. You're likely on the right track, if not completely correct. I doubt that they themselves actually wanted to do this.

^ He's not playing around about the pierogies Jarmor, we sought them out by coasterbill's map, and they were so good we got a second order. And also get you a 6 scoop banana split from the Old Mill, those bad boy's ain't no joke. Three of us didn't finish it off.

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Yeah, that's why I'm okay with it. They've basically made a name for themselves in restoring and maintaining classic attractions to modern standards.

Until they do VR Phoenix!!!!!

I sweat to God the day Phoenix gets VR is the day I quit being and enthusiast.

^ He's not playing around about the pierogies Jarmor, we sought them out by coasterbill's map, and they were so good we got a second order. And also get you a 6 scoop banana split from the Old Mill, those bad boy's ain't no joke. Three of us didn't finish it off.

I love that someone actually referred to the Pierogie map.

^ Maybe it's the way they're served, garnished, plated, that makes the difference in taste?

Sometimes, just how the same exact food "looks" when served, can have a bit of influence

on how it "tastes" to different people.

No. They're actually different. The other Pierogies are smaller and like dry Pierogie nuggets. The good ones are huge, cooked differently, better tasting and served in a bowl.

Edited by coasterbill

^^Not new. Whipping the sails has always been against the rules. I don't think "snapping" (though I still have yet to see thia done in person) is possible without whipping the sails, I mean that's the entire point right?

About the airgates. I don't know about the subways in other cities, but in Philly all the stations have no barrier to speak of between the hordes of people shoving into each other and the extremely heavy trains ripping by at highway speeds. That actually DOES feel unsafe to me. Funny thing, society.

I'm wondering if the change has anything to do with their increasing attendance numbers. Attendance goes up, insurance costs go up, rides with x number of daily riders suddenly have to have airgates. I don't know if it actually works that way but it would make sense. Personally this doesn't really bother me too much.

About the airgates. I don't know about the subways in other cities, but in Philly all the stations have no barrier to speak of between the hordes of people shoving into each other and the extremely heavy trains ripping by at highway speeds. That actually DOES feel unsafe to me. Funny thing, society.

But then how would a$sholes jump in front of trains during rush hour at least once a week here?

^

Agreed, although during the 2014 TPR Trip - when a bunch of us were taking over the Flyers - the operator did get a bit upset with us, but that's probably because every tub was going perpendicular to the ground every few seconds . Watching a bunch of Theme Park People take over a Flyer is always a hoot.

That sign has been there for a long time. Whipping the sails and snapping the cables are two different things. Whipping the sails is violently thrashing them from one side to another; this can cause damage to the sails. You can easily snap the cables without whipping the sails.

^That was a great time, I'm pretty sure I hit a tree branch during my ride

There's this one small tree branch that is close enough for people to hit, and it was still there as of last season!

As for the Whipping sign, that's always been there. Nobody ever pays attention to that. I could definitely see where whipping the sails would be a problem, especially with little kids riding them and the canvas sails not being as durable as the fiberglass or wood ones. The Knoebels Flyers will snap even if you don't touch the sail handle, so I wouldn't worry about that.

That sign has been there for a long time. Whipping the sails and snapping the cables are two different things. Whipping the sails is violently thrashing them from one side to another; this can cause damage to the sails. You can easily snap the cables without whipping the sails.

Exactly this, to my understanding (as I've seen it reiterated many times when this comes up). Whipping is a separate issue that can cause damage, and effective snapping techniques don't require it. The fact that some employees (or a single longtime employee?) are known to discourage or disallow snapping seems unrelated.