TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

That sign has been there for a long time. Whipping the sails and snapping the cables are two different things. Whipping the sails is violently thrashing them from one side to another; this can cause damage to the sails. You can easily snap the cables without whipping the sails.

Exactly this, to my understanding (as I've seen it reiterated many times when this comes up). Whipping is a separate issue that can cause damage, and effective snapping techniques don't require it. The fact that some employees (or a single longtime employee?) are known to discourage or disallow snapping seems unrelated.

Some of the ride operators don't know the difference either.

^I'm a bit more concerned that I seem to have legitimately forgotten the term ride op(erator)!

Laura - you are getting old? After losing your memory you are going to start complaining about coasters being too rough.

Stoped by knoebels today after my long east coast road trip and I gotta say, I was kinda let down by it.

Phoenix and twister kicked ass and the haunted house was cool. Impulse was a nice modern site to see and enjoyable but nothing "stand out". Black Diamond was horrible and a total waste of money.

The whole park felt like a permanent county fair with the same, trashy fair people. Most of the employees weren't that friendly but a couple were nice. All the buildings and some of the rides looked like they were about to fall apart too.

I'm all for the classic amusement park but this was just a little too run down and kinda strange of a place for us I'll certainly stop by on my way to Hershey for night rides on the two wooden coasters but I don't really understand the praise over this place.

^I'm a bit more concerned that I seem to have legitimately forgotten the term ride op(erator)!

Laura - you are getting old? After losing your memory you are going to start complaining about coasters being too rough.

That'll be the day...I don't think there is any ride too rough for Laura.

Stoped by knoebels today after my long east coast road trip and I gotta say, I was kinda let down by it.

Phoenix anearlier ter kicked A$$ and the haunted house was cool. Impulse was a nice modern site to see and enjoyable but nothing "stand out". Black Diamond was horrible and a total waste of money.

The whole park felt like a permanent county fair with the same, trashy fair people. Most of the employees weren't that friendly but a couple were nice. All the buildings and some of the rides looked like they were about to fall apart too.

I'm all for the classic amusement park but this was just a little too run down and kinda strange of a place for us I'll certainly stop by on my way to Hershey for night rides on the two wooden coasters but I don't really understand the praise over this place.

You have just started a war that will overwhelm your TPR life! Knoebels is a sacred piece of theme park existence, i visited for the first time earlier this month. I fail to see how anyone could not appreciate such an outstanding place.

Phoenix and twister kicked A$$ and the haunted house was cool. Impulse was a nice modern site to see and enjoyable but nothing "stand out". Black Diamond was horrible and a total waste of money.

I take it you didn't eat at the park?

or ride the Chair Lift?

or do the Museums (Knoebel's, Mining, Carousel)?

or play any Fascination?

or go on: the Carousel, Paratrooper, Flyers, Whip, Flume, Cosmotron, or Bumper Cars (so I've heard, we skipped em)?

How about the evening Train ride into the woods?

that's the only reasons I can imagine you didn't enjoy this spectacular place.

Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.

I haven't been in years (it hits too close to home for me nowadays) but the sort of "family-owned", "let's just build a nice amusement park" feel is part of its appeal. If you just went there for the coasters and only checked out the surroundings / other attractions in passing you did the park a huge disservice.

Phoenix and twister kicked A$$ and the haunted house was cool. Impulse was a nice modern site to see and enjoyable but nothing "stand out". Black Diamond was horrible and a total waste of money.

I take it you didn't eat at the park?

or ride the Chair Lift?

or do the Museums (Knoebel's, Mining, Carousel)?

or play any Fascination?

or go on: the Carousel, Paratrooper, Flyers, Whip, Flume, Cosmotron, or Bumper Cars (so I've heard, we skipped em)?

How about the evening Train ride into the woods?

that's the only reasons I can imagine you didn't enjoy this spectacular place.

I'm sure this is accurate. Anyone who treats this as a credit stop is doing It wrong. The rides are all maintained very well. I think he's confusing "old" with "about to fall apart". By the sounds of things he didn't ride the Bumper Cars or Flyers because he would have mentioned them even though they're the best rides in the park besides Phoenix and Twister and probably rode Black Diamond expecting a roller coaster.

Anyway. Bye Felicia. We don't need this kind of negativity interfering with our fun, food and fantasy. Have fun up in New England riding the most overrated wood coaster ever (Yankee Cannonball) while we enjoy our 2 amazing ones at Knoebels.

Oh and enjoy your terrible flyers too. Lol

^ You don't need to feel butt hurt because I wasn't totally impressed with your favorite park.

I did the round up, downdraft and fandango along the way. The lines for flyers, looper, flying turns and dodgems were huge so we passed. Flyers aren't necessarily my favorite flat anyways so i was fine with passing on them.

I didn't go into black diamond thinking it would be a coaster, I went in hoping for a fun little dark ride but it was just weird And cheesy.

Phonenix was easily a top ten woodie for me and twister was fantastic too.

A lot of buildings there could use some TLC, that's something nobody can deny.

Voicing my opinion about it is not "spreading negativity" around your fantasy world. I enjoyed myself at the park but it was not like I expected it to be.

and aren't you a little too old to be saying " bye Felicia"?

^ You don't need to feel butt hurt because I wasn't totally impressed with your favorite park.

I don't care what your opinion is, but since you missed so many of the best rides in the park it's hard to take your opinion seriously. It reminds me of the guy that went to Cedar Point and complained that they didn't like the park and then went on to talk about how they skipped Millennium Force and most of their best rides.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe there was a reason those rides had such huge lines?

fantasy world

It's fun, food AND fantasy. Get it right.

No. I'm in complete denial about the fact that I'm almost 30. I'm one of the cool kids. I refuse to let anyone tell me otherwise. Now get off my lawn.

I'm more surprised, but you probably have a different taste in parks than I do. My bias I am showing you it because I have a severe sense of place attachment to Knoebels, mainly because it's one of the closest parks to meaningful public space I'll ever experience my life.

Since you're willing to go for Phoenix and Twister anyway, I'd highly suggest giving it another full day the next time you're in central Pennsylvania. Part of its appeal is that it's so different. People have picnics, they go camping, families with children hang out in the back with the kids' rides as if the rest of the park doesn't exist. I will agree that the back of the park certainly looks a lot "older" than the rest of it, but I still think that you did a disservice by skipping attractions like the Flyer, Looper, Skooters, StratosFear, Flying Turns, and Pioneer Train.

No. I'm in complete denial about the fact that I'm almost 30. I'm one of the cool kids. I refuse to let anyone tell me otherwise. Now get off my lawn.

Also, Knoebels makes you young again. Just sayin'.

I guess everyone has different standards but for me, if I visit a small park (and Knoebels is a small park) and come away with rides on not one, but two fantastic wooden coasters, I'd call that a good day. Of course I drove an hour and a half out of my way just to visit Martin's Fantasy Island which has one average-to-decent woodie and came away in love with the place so...

Knoebels on paper looks like an average little park, if they truly run all the flats at full speed then that's already an A+ in my book. Two awesome wooden coasters is just the cherry on top. Then throw in good food at an amazing price? I'm sold.

Speaking of little parks with good wooden coasters I really need to go back to ZDT's, the place rocks.

At the park right now. You're all going to call me crazy but I actually kind of like the air gates. Adds to the anticipation of the ride. Doesn't seem to be affecting operations any, they're not waiting for the previous riders to completely clear the station before opening them.

Also I will never understand why they let riders carry their purses and backpacks on the Phoenix. Like, I do not understand at all. Not complaining, just do not understand.

How are Fridays here this time of year? Aside from getting the perogies from that one particular place, are there any other tips and tricks? Discounts?

Fried Cheese on a Stick, from Totem Treats, near the slide.

and of course, Ice Cream from the Old Mill are MUST dos.

...Of course I drove an hour and a half out of my way just to visit Martin's Fantasy Island which has one average-to-decent woodie and came away in love with the place so...

Have you posted a review by any chance? It's only very recently that I've seen anything but fairly extreme criticism of the place, to the point that I've been strongly considering not going there even knowing that Silver Comet is often considered worth riding.

And I'm relieved to hear that the air gates are potentially non-hateworthy.

...Of course I drove an hour and a half out of my way just to visit Martin's Fantasy Island which has one average-to-decent woodie and came away in love with the place so...

Have you posted a review by any chance? It's only very recently that I've seen anything but fairly extreme criticism of the place, to the point that I've been strongly considering not going there even knowing that Silver Comet is often considered worth riding.

Don't mean to hijack the Knoebels thread, but seeing that you asked, and there's no place to discuss it....

I live less than half an hour away from the park, and haven't visited in 3 years now. Main reasons being that Darien Lake is about the same distance away, plus even Silver Comet is not worth it anymore. It's not a balanced ride, so you only get good airtime near the very front, and that's hard to do because they assign seats. The loading process is horrible. You cannot touch the lap bars or they restart the process. It takes about 5 minutes to dispatch and they only have one train.

It's a very nice park don't get me wrong. I used to enjoy visiting 2-3 times a year. But now the current attractions and operations kind of got old to me, and I would prefer Darien Lake any day family-wise or self-wise.