TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Oh man, I got to meet Whirlwind again on the Europe 2012 tour at Fort Fun. Same model, not the exact same coaster. It was run by a psychotic German who decided to let us go through twice, only to have the ride overshoot the sensors and it wouldn't unlock the restraints. I still have nightmares to this day.

^Yeah, isn't it awful? (I was partly being facetious, I can be mildly disappointed and also still be pleased with whatever they picked, it is possible.)

The anticipation is agonizing. Whatever it is, it better be a roller coaster, it better be full-circuit, and it better have a custom layout. If all these things are true, I promise not to be disappointed, even if it is some kind of impulse water coaster.

I don't think it's going to be a launched woodie, in fact I doubt it's going to be a prototype at all, seeing as they were described as having "found" it (i.e. something that already existed). HOWEVER. If it is a launched woodie, then I am changing my permanent address to Knoebels' campground.

Another impossible idea for you: the world's second wing rider... though the woods... how awesome would that be?

Actually, the idea that they had to go searching for something, and wasn't something that everyone already knew about, could mean its something we've never seen before. It can go both ways!

Or that they went to three states to see examples of whatever it is - that's what led people to RMC in the first place (Texas, Missouri, and Illinois).

This is what I thought at first, but it's true that they just said they visited at least three states, not that the ride they picked was specifically in each one. The "impulse" thing really threw me off since it doesn't seem to jive with the "three states" thing no matter how you slice it. Very mysterious, as intended I'm sure.

There are 5 Intamin Impulse coasters in the US (not counting Volcano). Since Possessed is in PA, they wouldn't have had to travel far for it. That leaves Cedar Point, Valleyfair, SFGAm, and SFDK as out-of state installations.

Not at all suggesting one of these coasters would fit in at Knoebels...

Oh man, I got to meet Whirlwind again on the Europe 2012 tour at Fort Fun. Same model, not the exact same coaster. It was run by a psychotic German who decided to let us go through twice, only to have the ride overshoot the sensors and it wouldn't unlock the restraints. I still have nightmares to this day.

Sidenote - was the Knoebels Whirlwind a portable model? I checked out a video of Speed Snake and it looked a lot different.

Knoebels just posted this to their Facebook page hinting about their new for 2015 coaster. Is it a Zierer???

UPDATE:

Just for consistency's sake (and for the thread description link), I'll do a quick roundup of confirmed info:

Name: Impulse

Location: Near the gift shop and Giant Wheel, replacing the Bumper Boats ride and Boat Tag game

Manufacturer / Model: Zierer / Tower Coaster

Height: 98 feet at highest point

Speed: 56 miles per hour maximum

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knoebels-Amusement-Resort/207828210550

knoebelstwitter.jpg.8e930b3988789cf62f8690b09c00f670.jpg

Edited by A.J.

Really wasn't expecting that, where does it say zierer? I wonder why they went with this over a Eurofighter, trying to work out how this ties into the 3 states thing right now.

Edited by Garet

It's great to see Knoebel's appealing to the more "extreme" ride crowd. While Phoenix, Twister, and Flying Turns are all great coasters (just going by what people have said, never actually been to Knoebel's) the average GP would probably be looking for something with "loop-dee-loops," and might not be satisfied with just three wooden coasters, a kiddie coaster, and a coaster/dark ride. I think this is a great move by the park.

That's pretty exciting, I've always heard pretty good things WIcked at Lagoon.

Leave it to Knoebels to go with a bit of a , uh, different manufacturer. I know Zierer has had some big projects recently but they're still relatively new to the major coaster market. You If Knoebels builds it it's going to be awesome, bout time to schedule up a trip to PA again.

Well this should be fun! It probably won't be on the level of Pheonix or Twister but this is a big deal for a park like Knoebels and it's something they've been lacking. I wonder where they're going to put it though... hopefully it won't come at the expense of any notable attractions.

Really wasn't expecting that, where does it say zierer? I wonder why they didn't go with a eurofighter for this?

I'm not sure it says it anywhere, I think it's just a guess. Since this is only a tease, not an official announcement, anyone have any more idea based on what was shown?

Really wasn't expecting that, where does it say zierer? I wonder why they didn't go with a eurofighter for this?

I'm not sure it says it anywhere, I think it's just a guess. Since this is only a tease, not an official announcement, anyone have any more idea based on what was shown?

Yup. Zierer designed Wicked at Lagoon, right? It does a launch to the vertical tower, continues the launch up the tower, and drops vertically down. The Zierer tower coaster doesn't have a beyond-vertical drop like a Euro-fighter does.

Also, it uses three-tube track for most of the entire layout, at least in the NoLimits screenshot.

Edited by A.J.

It sure looks like a Eurofighter to me. 4 across trains, OTSRs, Gerstlauer uses the three tube track on plenty of the Eurofighters. Zierer was contracted out for fabrication for Wicked IIRC; the actual design was done in-house, which is why there's never been a followup.

(Now I hear that maybe it is Zierer, so go figure.)

Edited by DirkFunk

Knoebels just posted this to their Facebook page hinting about their new for 2015 coaster. Is it a Zierer???

How does the clue of visiting 3 states lead to Zierer?

I'm assuming they rode a few similar types of coasters from different manufacturers before deciding on this one. That's really the only thing I can come up with because I was trying to figure out the same thing. Maybe some standard euro fighter like Untamed, then Wicked and then maybe Dare Devil Dive since it has different trains. Just a completely random and uneducated guess...

I checked on the park's Facebook page, and where someone asked if the manufacturer was Gerstlauer, the reply was "no."

But they could be toying with us some more.

Yeah that is most definitely a Zierer tower launch in the rendering, the question is if that is the final coaster they will be getting, or just a tease of different concepts they are just throwing out there.

I would be so extremely happy if it would turn out to be a tower launcher, as I have always been interested in the Wicked concept, (but not it's layout) and wanted to see it with a more Eurofighter layout.