TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Except, as explained above, I'd half to say that at least half of a parks attendee's don't check a website before going, thus they will have no idea they need a reservation, and thus will make the 3 hour drive just to be turned away, regardless whether or not the park is "at capacity."

Which, by the way, is a much bigger number than you can imagine it. In 6 years of working at SFGAdv, we only reached "capacity" twice, and they were both major concert nights. Even if parks reduced capacity by half, I highly doubt you'd see many days when a park would reach "capacity," especially given how many idiots are still going to be scared to venture out into public until there's a vaccine. I can count a few in this thread alone.

Seems like this would be the best way to prevent a situation where someone drives three hours to the park only to be turned away because capacity was reached

Exactly. I'm not saying that I expect this to work like a well-oiled machine, but I was honestly expecting the scenario you just laid out to be their only plan. They've surpassed my low expectations.

oh, and TeacherKim. . I did see from . . .hmm. . can't recall, maybe it was on CNN? about the Six Flags chain, and it sounded like the call they had the other day, listed a handful of parks they are planning to get open (if infection numbers hold steady/decrease) include both Texas parks. (SFFT & SFOT). It also included SFOG & SFStL. . so maybe that 5/18 date is real?

anyone else see that info?

Hmmm, would be nice if they notified the employees then

^ I agree, so long as attendance is limited enough that you can keep a safe distance. Sometimes those pools get very crowded.

^^ Bert, I saw that same thing, though I don't remember where either. West County in general and Eureka in particular are spiking right now. I do not believe it will be safe to open SFSTL on the 18th. They may do it anyway, certainly Parson is pushing for it, but I would absolutely NOT recommend going until the infection rate subsides in the surrounding area.

https://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/communicable/novel-coronavirus/results.php

I hadn't heard anything about a spike in Eureka or West County, and I live in Ballwin, but to be fair I haven't been checking in detail either. Even though Governor Parson has started reopening the state today, St Louis County (which SFSTL is in, barely) and St Louis City are still under stay at home orders. The mayor of Eureka threatened to defy that and let businesses open and Page the county executive warned them to check with their lawyers first. So they backed off. County 1, Eureka 0

Except, as explained above, I'd half to say that at least half of a parks attendee's don't check a website before going, thus they will have no idea they need a reservation, and thus will make the 3 hour drive just to be turned away, regardless whether or not the park is "at capacity."

Which, by the way, is a much bigger number than you can imagine it. In 6 years of working at SFGAdv, we only reached "capacity" twice, and they were both major concert nights. Even if parks reduced capacity by half, I highly doubt you'd see many days when a park would reach "capacity," especially given how many idiots are still going to be scared to venture out into public until there's a vaccine. I can count a few in this thread alone.

The funny thing is, I completely agreed with you right up until you turned it into an ad hominem in the last sentence and a half.

That blurb on the Six Flags website must have just shown up. It was not there on Saturday. It appears they will be posting more info soon. I am assuming this will be their way to control the amount of people enough to satisfy the county health officials.

^ I agree, so long as attendance is limited enough that you can keep a safe distance. Sometimes those pools get very crowded.

^^ Bert, I saw that same thing, though I don't remember where either. West County in general and Eureka in particular are spiking right now. I do not believe it will be safe to open SFSTL on the 18th. They may do it anyway, certainly Parson is pushing for it, but I would absolutely NOT recommend going until the infection rate subsides in the surrounding area.

https://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/communicable/novel-coronavirus/results.php

I hadn't heard anything about a spike in Eureka or West County, and I live in Ballwin, but to be fair I haven't been checking in detail either. Even though Governor Parson has started reopening the state today, St Louis County (which SFSTL is in, barely) and St Louis City are still under stay at home orders. The mayor of Eureka threatened to defy that and let businesses open and Page the county executive warned them to check with their lawyers first. So they backed off. County 1, Eureka 0

Yeah, that's the sort of drama I expect from my state.

Don't want to be manning the turnstile when Karen and 15 of the neighborhood kids show up without reservations on a beautiful sunny day.

Or the carload of kids that gets dropped off and then cannot get Mom to answer her phone to come back and get them when they aren't allowed in.

They're going to have to limit capacity or not open at all. Regardless of whether they have you reserve a spot online or just cut people off at random forcing a mad dash to the park in the morning there will still be hypothetical examples of uninformed people that drove a long way, didn't get in and got pissed off about it.

There is no perfect system. People will bitch no matter what.

Edited by coasterbill

They're going to have to limit capacity or not open at all. Regardless of whether they have you reserve a spot online or just cut people off at random forcing a mad dash to the park in the morning there will still be hypothetical examples of uninformed people that drove a long way, didn't get in and got pissed off about it.

There is no perfect system. People will bitch no matter what.

Very true. I wonder how much of this is just them trying to satisfy the county/state as well. As we have all noted it is unlikely they reach 50% capacity the first few weeks anyway, but it sounds good on local media.

I think they will have a closing time of 6 at first so a lot of people living more than an hour or so away may wait until the hours are longer anyway.

Sweet upgrade from BGW today for Platinum members, I assume this is for all SEAS parks. Note: only for members who are not deferring payments.

1923425638_Screenshot_2020-05-04DiscoverYourNewMembershipBenefits.thumb.png.8417e4dbfb30a269c1fb85bb2b6deb42.png

I love the Busch/SeaWorld parks but them changing the levels of membership a few years ago immediately the year after they rolled it out made it a mess and it's my only complaint about the parks. I was originally a Platinum holder for busch gardens Williamsburg who upgraded to a Premier (the top level) membership at the time and the next year they rolled out more levels and Platinum membership became the top level against but I was grandfathered in on the perks because the premier membership I was on had almost all the same benefits as the new platinum membership. It makes it confusing for the staff too.

The email they sent me included two things, one saying I get 20% off dining and shopping and another saying 30% lol

20200504_174110.thumb.jpg.cf0c59098342175a6374c538ea4a4357.jpg

20200504_174144.thumb.jpg.a0a1afee9632f079d93c44854cdc5bff.jpg

Even with reservation, the biggest problems for some parks like Disney/Universal will be how to deal with the crowds that show up before the parks open e.g. one's who want to run to the first rides or snag RotR boarding passes. For example a busy public holiday before opening:

YNYXT.jpg

EcKiA.jpg

lAqWS.png

Source

e64ee6a3a474ec703d62bc599c31ea3b.jpeg

Source

Or parades. You can see they've encouraged social distancing in the actual seating area. But on the other side of the road and along the route people still come over and crowd.

article.jpg

article.jpg

article.jpg

Source

Regarding the Six Flags admission reservation system:

When I worked for Cedar Fair as a ride op (FWIW), I heard (unconfirmed rumors) that on some park buyout days, the park would still let in some people not part of the company who bought out the park.

If this was true, I can easily see Six Flags rolling over for walk-ups.

While this is nowhere even close to official yet, some Chinese sources are reporting that Shanghai Disneyland is getting ready to reopen in a few weeks, under a new restriction that, like Six Flags, will require guests to make advance reservations before visiting.