TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Switchback Roller Coaster at ZDT`s Amusement Park

I think I "get" how this thing is supposed to work but I'm curious if there's going to be some kind of emergency safety brake somewhere in the ride course in case the swith track section doesn't transitino properly during the ride cycle.

Just think about it: when the train is in the station, the switch track can be aligned with the ride course. The train leaves, goes up the lift, down the drop, across the switch, through the course, up the spike, through the course in reverse, then backwards through the switch. Brakes slow it down but it rolls up the first drop a bit, then hits the same brakes moving forward. The switch (at the end of the straightaway) aligns with the station once the train is stopped behind it, the train moves forward, then the switch moves back in line with the straight track as the next train loads.

The only speculative part of that is the train rolling up the drop a bit before coming to a full stop. The brakes could potentially stop the train immediately after crossing the switch, but this way seems more comfortable!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^It doesn't take much to make my sphincter pucker. In fact, I clench my butthole all the time. It's good intestinal yoga and allows for proper blockage and release control during life's little unexpected moments.

But the ride looks great too. I will have to stop by on one of my San Antonio or Houston trips after it's finished. I actually think I might be down near there at the end of October. Hmmmmmmmmmmm! A quick jaunt may be in order.

Just saw on ZDTs Twitter their adding a roof to the queue line. I heard a test run might be happening very soon . I can't wait to see this coaster in action.

image.thumb.jpg.d7fdb7f5ac7230a907ed5390818a6cf9.jpg

Roof to stay out of the hot Texas weather

image.thumb.jpg.b6db7553127075fa5123b505c7c821d7.jpg

Oh and for you control panel fans

I didn't realize this park was smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Interesting that no locals have complained about noise levels?

The park looks really neat on Google streetview. The neighborhood looks like it's seen better days, with lots of boarded up old commercial and industrial buildings. But it seems ZDT has used this to their advantage, with go-karts tracks going through old warehouses, and a "silo climb" in old silos.

I didn't realize this park was smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Interesting that no locals have complained about noise levels?

I learned from "How the States Got Their Shapes" that Texas has no (or very few) zoning laws. They showed the guy who lives right next to the Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah Boardwalk.

EDIT: I'd have to go back and watch the episode, but I think this is the street view of his house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5458254,-95.0168818,3a,75y,312.11h,87.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN_hgwt2OXZVIRSE6Nfgn_w!2e0!7i3328!8i1664!6m1!1e1