TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Switchback Roller Coaster at ZDT`s Amusement Park

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always seen billboards for ZDT's but was never really interested in going because they didn't have much; now I have a legitimate reason to go, this looks very interesting and innovative so call me intrigued. It's still pretty out of my way from College Station but if I ever end up that way I'll have to swing by; it can always be a weekend trip.

I'm slightly confused by the concept but it does look like a lot of fun. I wonder if there will any kind of a holding brake in the circuit to allow the track switch mechanism to cycle over? I guess if there's only one train it's not a big deal but seem like from an operations safety stand point you would need to have the ability to hold a train in the event of the switch mechanism not operating properly.

I love the short trains though, I've always thought that shorter trains feel faster and more out of control. My dream ride is a 200 foot tall coaster with a single wild mouse style car, that would feel insane.

Not many people know about what ZDT's is, so I feel like I should explain what it is, as I have been there many times. ZDT's is a tiny amusement park (very tiny) that is made up of two small arcades, a kids ball pit, a bungee jumping ride, A roller coaster simulator, a small restaurant, a tiny Frisbee ride, A small drop tower, rock climbing, a 2 story go kart track, and a few water slides. It seems to be built where a grain distribution plant once was, given that the rock climbing is built on some no-longer-used storage towers and the go karts are in an industrial building that was clearly used for something else.

Honestly, I have no idea where they will fit this roller coaster.

• 1 month later...

From ZDT's Facebook, excited to see it started

It’s official, ‪#‎Switchback‬ construction is under way!

We’ve just broken ground on this exciting new project, and would like to share this milestone with all of our fans on Facebook! We will be sure to keep you all updated along the way so you don’t miss out. Let the fun begin! ‪#‎Summer2015‬ ‪#‎GetReady‬

And for you dirt enthusiasts

image.thumb.jpg.2d05334ac90978183b49e709092ea198.jpg

I believe this is the building the coaster will go through

image.thumb.jpg.a1151173f70ead1005b210c536851846.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.43a76825912ff328107a97626c27a720.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

• 2 weeks later...

Very excited to watch this coaster progress! The pov looks awesome, I hope it lives up to the hype! If all goes well I could see these catching on at smaller parks! I could see a park like Magic Springs, or Frontier City getting a similar ride.

Not many people know about what ZDT's is, so I feel like I should explain what it is, as I have been there many times. ZDT's is a tiny amusement park (very tiny) that is made up of two small arcades, a kids ball pit, a bungee jumping ride, A roller coaster simulator, a small restaurant, a tiny Frisbee ride, A small drop tower, rock climbing, a 2 story go kart track, and a few water slides. It seems to be built where a grain distribution plant once was, given that the rock climbing is built on some no-longer-used storage towers and the go karts are in an industrial building that was clearly used for something else.

I wouldn't even call it an amusement park.

I've always described it as a "better Malibu Grand Prix". . since most go for the go-carts.

That's about to change tho

I'm very much looking forward to day trips there for this coaster!

• 3 weeks later...

ZDT's have sent us a construction update today! Check it out:

Switchback construction has come a long way in this past month! The foundation work in the area around the over-banked turn, internally referred to as 'Zone 1', is nearing completion. In the coming weeks we should start seeing parts of the coaster's structure in this area rising upwards!

Meanwhile, we have officially fenced off the area where Switchback's train station and lift hill will be placed ('Zone 3'), and are currently working on the foundation piers for this section. This lot has always been a part of our parking lot here at ZDT's, but this is no longer the case! In response to this elimination of parking spots, we have also been hard at work in adding even more parking to accommodate our guests! For every parking spot we eliminated, we have added about five more in its place in preparation for our new ride!

SB_Zone1_001.thumb.jpeg.c019ce69542035a1d230404de5f27e30.jpeg

SB_Zone1_002.thumb.jpeg.cdd274fe91969344ca1b6f61c47ffc8e.jpeg

SB_Zone1_003.thumb.jpeg.8becd858783ac6911900d269c7f94ddd.jpeg

SB_Zone3_001.thumb.jpeg.9279c7a9a22b8811d5feaf65bc41c526.jpeg

SB_Zone3_002.thumb.jpeg.661050e4c7c1fe2f87cd6aa13d0f47da.jpeg

SB_Zone3_003.thumb.jpeg.0263f4ad652822cb3140dc76789c0566.jpeg

SB_Zone3_004.thumb.jpeg.dcbb796c021a42a40877820c28e2b570.jpeg

ZDTsParking_001.thumb.jpeg.9399bf5af06b837d30893cad9b0ab738.jpeg

ZDTsParking_002.thumb.jpeg.e95561334d4e8c3cc9597595b3803719.jpeg

ZDTsParking_003.thumb.jpeg.096a1d44d09f0736c71bdbb2b665d8c8.jpeg

Edited by robbalvey

I think this is one of the most interesting concepts that has come out in a while. I look forward to riding it.

Agreed. I'm curious to see if 1) the ride is any good and 2) the concept catches on. This could be a good way for a small park to deliver a "big thrill" (other than with a Vekoma Boomerang).

What I was curious about and the pov doesn't show is 1) will it go back up the first drop hill and 2) will it have enough speed to make it back up if so or will there be another chain. The pov doesn't really show if there'll be a last run backwards into a brake run or if it shoots back up the first hill.

I'm especially interested in seeing how the park develops once this coaster is finished. Since the parking lot has been moved, a lot of the existing parking area (aside from what's used by Switchback at least) could easily be used for a few other flats. Parks like this where there's very little room for expansion always interest me; it's cool to see how they manage to add new attractions with limited space.

• 1 month later...

ZDT sent us two more photos of progress on Switchback Railroad!

Switchback has officially gone vertical this past weekend! Over the next couple weeks, the structure and tracking near the overbanked turn should rise up to near completion. The next stop after that... the lift hill and initial drop!

499808532_ZDT01.jpg.984dbb4631b0008b8079660e1e8255d6.jpg

1983271185_ZDT02.jpg.bc8f4c7fa2ef82feae62c6eb7967fc48.jpg

Edited by cfc