TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Announcing "Skyline Attractions"

I'm seeing a lot of speculations on what types of rides they might design, but I think the answer is right in their logo. Big rides. Tall rides. You know... A ride that would change a parks skyline.

--Robb "I'm hoping I'm not reading too much into that..." Alvey

Roller coaster and ferris wheels!

Edited by coasterchitchat

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm excited at the prospect of some fresh idea for parks besides roller coasters and aging flat ride styles. One of the most exciting rides I've ridden in the last couple years has been Mammoth at Holiday World; I loved the idea of a ride that wasn't a roller coaster that I wanted to ride so much more than most of them. If these guys can create attractions at that caliber taking the industry in entirely new directions I'm all for it. I can't wait to see what the first design they begin trying to sell it. They could go in any direction!

I'm seeing a lot of speculations on what types of rides they might design, but I think the answer is right in their logo. Big rides. Tall rides. You know... A ride that would change a parks skyline.

I don't think you're reading too much into it.....I thought the same thing when I saw the name and logo. Skyline Attractions sounds to me like rides that will impact a park skyline.....and if they're doing that they'd need to be pretty big/tall to become part of said skyline.

Definitely a very cool announcement! Always love seeing an innovative group of designers branch out to make some cool attractions on their own. Looking forward to hearing more from these guys!

Is the August 1st announcement going to involve a project at Darien Lake? An inverting "Lake Monster" woodie has been planned for some time as far as I know, and Skyline Attractions seems like a company who could possibly design this sort of coaster. Not only is the company backed by veterans of GCI, who specializes in wooden roller coasters, but also the new Skyline Attractions company seems to be willing to be the "progressive" type of designer. A perfect form of competition against RMC. Think about it, Darien sends out the proposal in 2013 to random guests (who then posted it online) so CLEARLY they have been planning the Lake Monster concept. The concept could also be a good way to launch Skyline Attractions into the manufacturing market. A win-win for both players! So, is it possible?

Is the August 1st announcement going to involve a project at Darien Lake? An inverting "Lake Monster" woodie has been planned for some time as far as I know, and Skyline Attractions seems like a company who could possibly design this sort of coaster. Not only is the company backed by veterans of GCI, who specializes in wooden roller coasters, but also the new Skyline Attractions company seems to be willing to be the "progressive" type of designer. A perfect form of competition against RMC. Think about it, Darien sends out the proposal in 2013 to random guests (who then posted it online) so CLEARLY they have been planning the Lake Monster concept. The concept could also be a good way to launch Skyline Attractions into the manufacturing market. A win-win for both players! So, is it possible?

The management at Darien Lake is pretty bad even for Herschend owning it. They can't even get 2 trains on an Intamin at once. I think some management changes needs to be made before getting a brand new coaster, non less than a looping one.

The name Skyline Attractions gives me the feeling their attractions will be tall. Especially how they have the I.

Either that or made entirely of Skyline Chili.

Evan1127

Would you look at that... you might be on to something!

The management at Darien Lake is pretty bad even for Herschend owning it. They can't even get 2 trains on an Intamin at once. I think some management changes needs to be made before getting a brand new coaster, non less than a looping one.

Herschend doesn't own the park, CNL does, and they hold the purse strings TIGHT. Herschend manages the park under contract with CNL and can only put in new rides when CNL approves the capex.

I know this is probably crazy, but I really hope that Carowinds isn't in bed with B&M on the new project. It would be awesome for something new and innovative to be built there to "change the skyline" (as was quoted by the CF rep during the Council meeting)

Seeing as they're looking for new ideas and they pop into this forum from time to time, I'd like to share my brilliant idea that came to me while waiting for the Wildfire at Kolmarden announcement.

Intamin AquaTrax built within a manmade volcano using real lava imported from Kilauea in Hawaii rather than water that catches properly placed scenery on fire constantly, thereby creating an Intamin FireTrax. Halfway through the ride, the train threads onto Iron Horse track for an RMC launched woodie through the forest that happens to be on fire. After 15 wooden inversions (the coaster switches from Iron Horse track to wooden track after the launch, because physics or something) the train then threads back onto Intamin FireTrax track, only to head into a second launch up a 515-foot tower (with accompanying drop ride attached) that has fire effects following the train. Once it comes out of the top hat it enters a spaghetti bowl section akin to I-305...with fire. Finally, as the ride nears the end of the course, there is a huge Chinook helicopter overhead that dumps a waterfall over the track to put out the, you guessed it, Wildfire, leading into the insane finale of a good ol' Intamin AquaTrax. Also there's some more fire, just because.

Source page -

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1427268#p1427268

Of course, Skyline, replace any and all usage of "Intamin" and "RMC" with "Skyline Attractions" and you're good to go.

I hate to draw comparisons but I can't help but think of this as a broader-scope version of TGG and Gravitykraft, obviously with a larger range of attractions than just wooden coasters.

Question if possible to be answered:

GCI specializes in a very specific type of roller coaster. Assuming that you do venture into this field, how similar will your rides be to the twister style that we're accustomed to from GCI?

This is great news!

I hope GCI continues to make great rides and has a huge list of projects, though. My favorite roller coasters always seem to be by them. Ever since Thunderhead (and its awesome reception), it seems like they've focused their coaster designs on speed and that out-of-control feeling. It's really something special; no other manufacturer has captured that feeling IMO. Rather than focus on airtime or size, they make their designs exciting and more twisted than Timothy Young from Saw III, which is different than most manufacturers out there, and perhaps more adventurous in the long run. I'd hate to see GCI cut back or stop their awesome designs/projects altogether.

However, I have faith in the team that both companies will be able to create awesome rides, whatever they may be. Perhaps they'll even work together on some projects; who knows? Good luck !

I have it on good authority that a mid size park in the northeast will get a very major new attraction from this company in 2015. Think tall, fast and intense !!! Not sure yet if wood or steel. I bet this is the august announcement

Member for less than a day. Seems legit.

Back to Darien Lake, Herschend wants to do a lot with the park but CNL doesn't want to shell out the big bucks because of dwindling attendance. Management from Herschend hasn't been stellar either and maintenance and custodial departments are atrocious. Front of the Line passes replaced second trains this year, and that leads to many guests rushing to guest relations after waiting 90 mins for an Arrow looper. I don't see why Herschend wouldn't return to RMC after Outlaw Run's success.

Thanks for the continued support, everyone. Let me see if I can clarify anything without giving much away right now.

So to be clear: Skyline Attractions is a vendor/marketing company along the lines of Ride Entertainment Group, and their subsidiary Skyline Design will do R&D, but not necessarily manufacturing? Seems like a wide net to throw, hard to understand from an outside perspective where they are going with this.

The basic setup is that Skyline Design will own the intellectual property to and actually design the products that Skyline Attractions will manufacture and distribute. Any additional design work we do for industry customers - including Great Coasters at their request - will be done by Skyline Design.

Well, there are some answers in the press release, too, and "ride" isn't the only word we use. I hope we didn't give the impression that we're limiting ourselves.

Either that or made entirely of Skyline Chili.

If only. We played around with that a bit, but couldn't resist and ended up eating our designs.