TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best and Lamest Coaster "Ending"

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best -

Wood: Wooden Warrior. Boulder Dash is overall a much better coaster, but its last two hills are a little tame and rampy in comparison to the "airtime buffet" right before it.

Steel: Bizarro. The ending does everything Cyclone was supposed to do, plus two extra turns. It's almost as if they designed it with Cyclone in mind.

Lamest -

Wood: Rolling Thunder. The whole ride was completely forceless.

Steel: Batman: The Dark Knight (Kiddie coasters and wild mice aside). It's just not as intense as some of the other steel coasters. But I still love it, and would take it over a Boomerang any day.

Best-

Wood: Lightning Racer. Hands down best ending on a wooden coaster ever. Twisting crossovers and bunny hops into dueling helixes then a race up an airtime filled double-up to the finish line... Perfection in its greatest form

Steel: Tie between Shockwave, Intimidator 305, and Montu. All are great in their own ways... Shockwave is great because of how cheap and primitive it feels compared to most other coasters, those two little bunny hops before the brake run were just so bizarre feeling I couldn't help but laugh. It also helps that I absolutely LOVE stand-up coasters, especially Togo's

Intimidator 305 is great because of how unrelenting it is all the way up to the brakes, I seriously can't remember most of the coaster from the first hill after the drop to the surprisingly quick slowdown right before the station!

Montu is probably my all-time favorite Invert, and it's totally unique ending definitely makes it the cream of the crop.

Lamest

Wood: Big Dipper at Camden Park had a pretty lame ending, just starts picking speed then a pop of airtime and whoosh into the brakes. Fortunately the ejector air in the back row on the "Big Dip" totally made up for the lackluster rest of the ride...

Steel: Verbolten has a pretty poor ending, it was great on Big Bad Wolf, but on Verbolten it just feels out of place. Would've been better if they'd came up with a more unique second half. Storm Runner also has a pretty poor ending, but that's more because it feels super short not really that lame...

When it comes to lame endings there aren't many worse then Great Bears. After the final corkscrew the train just meanders around until the breaks.

Agreed. I undrstand HP had to squeeze the ride in there somehow with very little room, but they could've at least added a small dip before the brake run.

Silver Bullet....Shwartzkopf looping star coaster located at Frontier City in OKC. The coaster has a nice little airtime hill that launches you way out of the seat just before careening full speed into a tunnel that was added to ride for a thrill then finishes off with a smooth break run. Guests applaud laugh cheer and you know your ready to get on the coaster again. That would be a considered a good ending on a coaster.

Having just been at Dollywood...

Best: Mystery Mine - The themeing leading up to the beyond vertical drop followed up by the barrel rolls into the hangtime before hitting the brakes almost made up for the headbanging mess that was the first half of the ride.

Firechaser Express - The backwards launch was surprisingly forceful and the backwards twisty airtime was a ton of fun.

Worst: Wild Eagle - The first half of the ride up to the corkscrew took me by surprise by how forceful it was, however, following the corkscrew, the helixes were very tame and the wings seemed to vibrate quite a bit which was rather unpleasant.

• 1 year later...
Worst: Big Thunder Mountain

Paris would like a word with you. Heading full speed into a cave only to plummet 40 feet under the river, hit a flat curve, then shoot back up into the station and slam into the brakes? Booyeah.

Best-- From a spectator standpoint, Millennium Force. Nothing gets your blood pumping while waiting in line more than a train full of riders a few feet away at 55 mph, then an overbank, and finally seeing their reaction on the opposite side on the brakes.

Worst: I haven't ridden it, but Intimidator at Carowinds looks pathetic. On Nitro, if a train is dispatched just before the previous train climbs into the MCBR, it'll drop off the lift maybe 10 seconds after that train hits the final brakes. If you're dispatched at the same time on Intimidator, the previous train hits the final brakes before the last car begins to ascend the lift. It's really a slow, short, and thoughtless finale.