TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I can guarantee you when you hit the brakes on this thing, the last thing you're going to be worried about is how short the ride was.

^Really, at the end of the day, when this coaster is operating, and all the people who have complained about its length have ridden it, THIS is going to be the bottom line! Even on Goliath, which is definitely, objectively, a pretty short coaster, I wasn't thinking "dang, that was short!" when I got finished riding it. I was thinking "Oh man! What an awesome coaster that was! That stall was one of the best things EVER!!!" Twisted Cyclone looks great! I really hope 2018 is the year I finally get to SFOG for the first time, and get to ride this thing!

Let's see... SFoG has what is possibly one of the best hyper coasters, one of the best standup coasters, a classic Schwarzkoph, the original terrain Superman clone, a kickass Batman clone, a Eurofighter, an old school looper that the chain un-sucked, a solid old school wooden out and back, and one of the best atmospheres in the park chain. Now, the park is getting a kickass RMC makeover on an unpopular ride and you're bitching because they left out one lap? Not surprised. Seems like a pretty 2017-ish thing to do.

Meanwhile, we'll enjoy our new water slide at SFSTL next year, with our newest coaster being a 30 year old boomerang hand-me-down.

Not to mention what they have other than coasters. They have a unique drop tower, some good flat rides, and 2 great dark rides. I mean they're not Cedar Point so you can't expect every new coaster to be their best. And who knows? There's a good chance it may be. I have 0 RMC's anywhere near me and I've never ridden one. Just be happy you're getting an RMC.

Goliath, which is definitely, objectively, a pretty short coaster

Nope, it's definitely, objectively, a coaster of average length. The only people who ever say it's short are enthusiasts on message boards. We don't need more echo chambers.

You're cherry picking one part of my comment, and missing the whole point of my post, which was that the length of the ride is irrelevant if it's fun as heck like Goliath is! It IS pretty short in duration (length of time on the ride - not talking track length). That is an objective statement. I've ridden a crap ton of coasters in my life (so I have a lot of experience to compare it to), but have a normal life outside of all that, and am by no means a typical raving coaster enthusiast. There's no echo chamber here...

I'm at the park today and it's absolutely packed. A pretty miserable day overall, with most waits encroaching an hour. Superman has gone down three times since I've been in line, with cycle times averaging about 8-10 minutes.

Seems like everyone is trying to soak up the last bit of summer with today being the waterpark'a last day in operation for the year.

Also, for my 2018 pass renewal, the attendant said my old pass wouldn't scan and he gave me a new card. Kind of interesting and very wasteful on behalf of the park. Any idea on why that might be/if I should hang on to the old one for the remainder of the year?

All I gotta say is that what Twisted Cyclone might lack in length, it would definitely make up in airtime, inversions, and intensity.

This looks like a fantastic ride.

That's what I'm thinking!!!

Like, do people not realize it's not the length that matters?? It's all about how well it rides.

Sure, Twisted Cylcone could have been longer. . . But then again, they could have just completely removed Cyclone from the park. Which would you rather have??? Exactly.

Plus, once leaving the lift hill, it is nearly the exact same ride time as Outlaw Run... and I never hear people complaining about how short Outlaw Run is. Not to mention you guys get a pretty kick ass prelift, where Outlaw Run has nothing.

So instead of complaining about how short the ride is, can't we all just appreciate it for it's greatness??

I'm at the park today and it's absolutely packed. A pretty miserable day overall, with most waits encroaching an hour. Superman has gone down three times since I've been in line, with cycle times averaging about 8-10 minutes.

Seems like everyone is trying to soak up the last bit of summer with today being the waterpark'a last day in operation for the year.

Also, for my 2018 pass renewal, the attendant said my old pass wouldn't scan and he gave me a new card. Kind of interesting and very wasteful on behalf of the park. Any idea on why that might be/if I should hang on to the old one for the remainder of the year?

I am wondering if this will be the norm...new cards?? When I tried to renew mine during the flash sale, I was having issues. I chatted with them, the guy said I had been given a new number to avoid someone trying to use my card...which is weird b/c I had just been there the weekend before with no issues.

I noticed that the park was closed to the public last Saturday, I guess for some special event or something. That, in combination with the number of people that were trying to get 2018 passes processed, might have contributed to your crowds. I also need to get over to the park to get my new pass processed.

Has anyone noted more progress on Twisted Cyclone? So ready to see some of that beautiful blue track get installed.

Like, do people not realize it's not the length that matters?? It's all about how well it rides.

I disagree, I think the length has a very big part in any ride. Look at Goliath, is it a great ride? Of course it is! But it's one of RMC's weaker creations due to its short layout and lack of more elements.

I think this will be a nice ride but definitely one of the weakest of the RMC hybrids to date.

I think this will be a nice ride but definitely one of the weakest of the RMC hybrids to date.

You realize that not every roller coaster has to be "OMFG-crazy-three-minutes-long-ejector-inversions-stalls" to be world-class, right?

I realize that I'm slightly biased being from central Pennsylvania and all, but, well, you know what argument I'll make.

I disagree, I think the length has a very big part in any ride. Look at Goliath...

From leaving the lift hill to hitting the brake run... Goliath is still longer than Outlaw Run. Outlaw Run is about 34 seconds, Goliath is about 40 seconds... And Outlaw Run is a DAMN good coaster, and Twisted Cyclone will be no different.

Ride length makes a big impact on a ride for me, and I feel like many other people feel the same way.

I have no doubt Twisted Cyclone will be amazing, but personally, ride time is a major factor. I just don't like really short ride experiences, especially if the line to get on takes 2 hours.

Twisted Cyclone will be a great ride, and the length is not going to change, but it is unfortunate to see them cut it short when it could have a really cool final lap with wacky small hops and tricky track work. That's something I really loved about Wicked Cyclone.

Just going on the park-released renderings for comparisons sake (only fair since we only have a rendering of the 2018 RMCs):

from drop to brakes

Steel Vengeance - 75 seconds

Lightning Rod (launch included) - 50 seconds

Wicked Cyclone - 50 seconds

Twisted Timbers - 50 seconds

Storm Chaser - 45 seconds

Joker - 40 seconds

Twisted Cyclone - 35 seconds

Outlaw Run - 35 seconds

Goliath - 30 seconds

Compare that to the average duration of (usually) very well-renown coasters, drop to brake:

El Toro - 50 seconds

Phantoms Revenge - 50 seconds

I305 - 45 seconds

Skyrush - 45 seconds

Batman clones - 40 seconds

Megalites - 40 seconds

Nemesis - 40 seconds

Storm Runner (launch to brake) 30 seconds

Dragster (launch to brake) - 17 seconds

Just going on the park-released renderings for comparisons sake (only fair since we only have a rendering of the 2018 RMCs):

from drop to brakes

Steel Vengeance - 75 seconds

Lightning Rod (launch included) - 50 seconds

Wicked Cyclone - 50 seconds

Twisted Timbers - 50 seconds

Storm Chaser - 45 seconds

Joker - 40 seconds

Twisted Cyclone - 35 seconds

Outlaw Run - 35 seconds

Goliath - 30 seconds

Compare that to the average duration of (usually) very well-renown coasters, drop to brake:

El Toro - 50 seconds

Phantoms Revenge - 50 seconds

I305 - 45 seconds

Skyrush - 45 seconds

Batman clones - 40 seconds

Megalites - 40 seconds

Nemesis - 40 seconds

Storm Runner (launch to brake) 30 seconds

Dragster (launch to brake) - 17 seconds

Boldikus - Don't go cloudying up this argument with facts! Seriously though...I'm sure the ride will be great. I too enjoy a long ride, but that doesn't really hurt my enjoyment of shorter rides.

Does anyone think they will add a launch coaster to the line up sometime soon? Another unique coaster to go with the new rmc will continue to add to the quality of the park. Not saying they have to add a big coaster like KK, but maybe something like Cheetah Hunt at BG-T or Storm Runner... Not too intense but gives a good thrill, especially for the youngsters.

Would have like to see them invest more money into the back of the park instead of just wasting it into Blue Hawk .

Does anyone think they will add a launch coaster to the line up sometime soon? Another unique coaster to go with the new rmc will continue to add to the quality of the park. Not saying they have to add a big coaster like KK, but maybe something like Cheetah Hunt at BG-T or Storm Runner... Not too intense but gives a good thrill, especially for the youngsters.

Would have like to see them invest more money into the back of the park instead of just wasting it into Blue Hawk .

The closest thing SFoG has had to a launched coaster was Viper (1995-2001), which was a decent but very short ride. After my first rides on Mr Freeze, I have been hoping our park would eventually get a LIM coaster but I have also heard somewhere that the power grid would not allow for it. Not sure if that is true but that is what I heard.

I would not expect to see another coaster added for a few years (after a Hurricane Harbor expansion and hopefully a giant discovery) after our RMC gift next year.

I certainly do not see the improvements to Blue Hawk as a waste. That coaster was nearly unrideable and now it is halfway decent again. If the park would upgrade and rehab all their existing rides, think of how much better it would be. I strongly believe the SF chain is headed down the path of reinvesting in their current attractions, which is not a bad thing at all.

Like so many of us, I had to stop by the park by yesterday supposedly to process my 2018 pass. Showed up at the park around 4pm, and it was absolutely packed. I got “lucky” finding a spot in the tiny corner section that is on the far east end of the main parking lot, but plenty of cars were hunting for spots with no luck. I’m sure the free admission with a blood donation had a big impact on attendance yesterday, but it was still a little surprising to see it that packed for the first Sunday of Fright Fest. Anyway, I got my pass processed, walked over to Twisted Cyclone for a status update, and headed out. Unfortunately I didn’t see anything new to report. Didn’t see any track on site yet and it looks the same as the photo posted here from about a week ago.