TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Just got back from a nice weekend at SFOG!

Operations: Ride operations where all good except for DDD.. the ride ops where working very quickly though, it's just the nature of the headset.. worth riding once to experience it though! Other ride operations where great.. yeah long lines, almost two hour waits on some rides BUT it was very busy.. everything had all trains running even Mind Bender had both of its trians.. They where not enforcing the loc ker policy which did result in a few slow downs where people didn't want to leave their purse on ride platforms but hey, I guess Six Flags can't win when it comes to this.. people complain about the loc kers but then don't want to leave their purse with ride Ops?

Food Operations: This is where six flags needs to improve greatly.. why have 4 windows on a food stand and one person working it by themselves? 20 minute waits? Why make your operators call a supervisor to come over and VOID something? Yeah I waited 10 minutes for a supervisor to come void a pretzels for the customer in front of me.. Long lines on rides you can't help if running all trains but this you can and it is something that should really be addressed

Overall very fun weekend! I wish the decided to open Hurricane Harbor.. They had lifeguards guarding empty slides lol.. I know they have to have so many hours of training (I used to do this for Splash Country and do their training of some of their guards) but we never really made them guard empty slides to get this training lol

Looks like six flags is doing very well this season, even Sunday right at opening was very packed and resulted in long lines..

Oh and I love seeing the costume characters out and about more like they are this year! I saw more characters walking than I ever have at parks like Disney. That's great to see!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Those new trains look awesome! I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to riding Ninja...errr...I mean Blue Hawk. I think the work they've done on this coaster will pay off and may actually make this a fun coaster. I can't see them having done all this to this coaster with the whole air force theme and not move the VR to this coaster. It just makes sense after riding the VR DDD. It may not happen this year, but I'd be willing to bet the VR will find a permanent home on Blue Hawk starting the 2017 season. Which will be great news for DDD.

On another note, I do hope they do this with other coasters at their other parks. I could see Ninja at SFSL being an option to get new trains, new paint, new theme. That would help that ride out greatly.

I just had the thought, looking at a SFOG TR, and seeing pictures of Georgia Scorcher, that maybe they aren't investing the money in painting it now, because they already know they will either be removing it, or more likely, converting it to a Floorless, as mentioned above. And obviously, when they do, it will get a re-paint, and look good as new - a fitting coaster to adorn the entryway to the park!

Rougarou's transformation cost $6 million, my friend who's a supervisor at Cedar Fair told me these figures and I believe I heard them somewhere else too on a podcast maybe. But yeah each train was 1.5 million with 3 trains that's 4.5 million right there

So, that's basically speculation then?

Yup. Not sure what the eyeroll was about though, I simply asked a question.

But yes, the park never actually gave the cost so every figure floating around is either hearsay or pure speculation. I was curious though since the estimates most people pull out of thin air are closer to 6 million (which to be fair, have just as little credibility as the 2 million dollar number though if I had to guess I would lean towards the 6 million dollar figure).

Scorcher is the only stand up coaster that I've done that I actually enjoy. It actually rides smooth unlike all the others I've done, so I'd be fine if Six Flags decides to keep the stand up trains, but I'd also be ok with floorless trains since they worked so well on Mantigarou. I'm just not sure if Six Flags is willing to spend that kind of money on renovating an older steel coaster, but then again if they are spending money on RMC conversions then a floorless conversion could be possible I suppose.

^ Well, they spent money to buy new trains and track for Ninja, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Scorcher may get the conversion. Honestly, I would only want the conversion, so that the capacity of the ride would increase, and the line moves faster as a result.

Rougarou's transformation cost $1-2 million though

Where did you get those figures?

I did a quick search and I found some info on this Toledo Blade article.

"Neither Mr. Million nor Cedar Point officials would reveal the cost of painting the coaster.

Roller coaster experts have said the entire transformation of the Mantis/Rougarou could cost up to $2 million."

So, that's basically speculation then?

It's definitely speculation when the ones estimating it are quoted as roller coaster experts. Fun fact: They're really not experts.

I'm surprised to see discussion about Scorcher being converted to a floorless. I've never ridden it but from what I've read, Scorcher is the best stand up out there and some have said it was the stand up where B&M "got it right".

^ Well, they spent money to buy new trains and track for Ninja, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Scorcher may get the conversion. Honestly, I would only want the conversion, so that the capacity of the ride would increase, and the line moves faster as a result.

To be fair, the old Ninja Trains were nearly 30 years old.

^Yeah considering Ninja's trains were basically free from Great Adventure I think it was just a temporary fix until they could put together a more solid plan which they have now.

In regards to Scorcher, it's the best B&M stand up by far. I've been on almost all the others and they are painful while Scorcher is actually pretty awesome. Sure floorless may ride a bit better but I would hate to see a world without any stand up coasters and Scorcher is the best one so it should be left alone and kept as a stand up.

I personally enjoy Scorcher the way it is. Very rerideable coaster in my opinion. I have only rode two stand-ups (Vortex at Carowinds and Scorcher). I have to say Scorcher is WAY more enjoyable than Vortex.So just a good repaint would be nice.

SFOG could hold a public vote, like with Ninja, for a new name. Then they could repaint the coaster with new colors and get new trains, or more comfortable harnesses, or something like that.

How was this at all in response to carolinaman? He said only a repaint would suffice, and then you just stated the orher side of the debate...

I'm surprised to see discussion about Scorcher being converted to a floorless. I've never ridden it but from what I've read, Scorcher is the best stand up out there and some have said it was the stand up where B&M "got it right".

I don't know if I started that discussion or not, but I haven't ridden Scorcher, so I can't comment on how it rides. I have ridden Riddler's Revenge, however, and actually enjoyed it. It's definitely the best Stand-Up I've ridden! Hopefully, I'll get down to SFOG before long! My comment about making Scorcher, Floorless, was more based off of wondering why they've let its appearance get so bad, and surmising that perhaps it's because a conversion, or replacement is in the works. If it's still a great Stand-Up coaster, than I would hope it just gets repainted, and not replaced...