TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

This is a great announcement! So many conveniences to be found at Holiday World.

Interestingly, I was considering emailing you last week and asking if the park had full-coverage Wi-Fi, Paula. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Interesting photo and news from HW's Facebook page...

We keep mighty busy during the winter months around here. Tomorrow afternoon, we will launch a video of Dan Koch and Gravity Group's Chad Miller talking about off-season Voyage track work plus a Timberliner trains update.

375974_10150482961979538_35385539537_8811815_376276764_n.jpg.f88503ce85e24bb57b06198da8c53bd0.jpg

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/dan-and-chad-take-walk-voyage

We love our Voyage.

It's been voted the #1 Wooden Coaster on the Planet since it was one year old.

This year is Voyage's seventh season. (Gosh, and it seems like only yesterday we were potty training ... oh, wait, I seem to be confusing work and home. Once again. Never mind.)

All of our coasters get some TLC during the fall and winter months. This year, Voyage gets a little something extra. Why? Because we can. And we want to.

Our president, Dan Koch, invited one of the top-notch engineers from The Gravity Group to take part in a video shoot just before Christmas. (The Gravity Group designed Voyage, along with Dan's late brother Will.)

This video includes details about this year's track work, plus an update about the Timberliner trains that have been designed for Voyage. We hope this appeals to coaster enthusiasts and the general public alike.

Any questions? Please post them below and I'll try my best to get you answers. Comments are welcome as well. Meanwhile, can't wait till opening day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K36iWnSaOEQ

6695873953_a98b169e0d_z.jpg.1f89f21b1e3d7d7ddd84dbb7414c2fa1.jpg

Can't wait to hear about the changes and give Voyage another chance one day...there's so much potential in that ride if they can keep it running like brand new!

I know what you mean. when I rode it in spring 2009, I really liked it--but what a difference a year made.

I rode the voyage quite a few times in the 2011 season. The first set of rides it was rough, but it was still an enjoyable experience. The second trip it was neigh unridable, but that is likely due to the rain. I have a feeling that if they get the kinks hammered out of this ride it will be absolutely amazing. Even if they dont get the Timberliners on it.

-Kafka-

^I've been wondering if it has to do with the time of year: Does Voyage run better in the spring than in the summer? My good rides were in April 2009, and my bad rides in August 2010.

Edited by cfc

I wonder how much of the original track is left from when the Voyage was built? My guess would be none! I can't think of many rides built in the last six or seven years that need this much retracking.

Even so, I really hope they can make the Timberliners work. It can't be cheap having to do all the work they [Holiday World] have done on it. I didn't enjoy Voyage when I rode it 5 years ago, but I'd love to give it another go sometime and really enjoy it.

^I've been wondering if it has to do with the time of year: Does Voyage run better in the spring than in the summer? My good rides were in April 2009, and my bad rides in August 2012.

I noticed this pattern in the Voyage's inaugural season of 2006. I thought it ran pretty well in May and June, but not so great in August. I believe like 1,200 feet of wood was replaced after that very first season.

I would love to see some TCO numbers of Voyage vs. El Toro in the very long term, like over 10 years.

First impressions mean a lot. Voyage sure made one--full of pain and "let it end" back in 2010.

It is such an amazing looking ride and I love GG's stuff. This is fantastic news from the park. Hopefully the sweet combo of track work and Timberliners will bring this ride back to what was and is supposed to be.

Just watched the off season video, its pretty amazing that they put that much work into that coaster, to the point where they can just take out a whole section like the spaghetti bowl, and re do it..

as far as a ride on the Voyage, I rode it a couple of times back in 2009 and in 2010 I didn't find it a rough ride to the point of being slammed around, but It did feel like I had just got done with a work out at the gym, guessing from all the forces of the ride..

Well with them saying in the video that they are custom making timberliners for the ride meaning that no other timberliner train is like the one being made for the voyage. Hopefully, after all of this mess...they can start a season with fresh new timberliners...this will be one of the best roller coasters in the world when this happens.

^I've been wondering if it has to do with the time of year: Does Voyage run better in the spring than in the summer? My good rides were in April 2009, and my bad rides in August 2012.

I noticed this pattern in the Voyage's inaugural season of 2006. I thought it ran pretty well in May and June, but not so great in August. I believe like 1,200 feet of wood was replaced after that very first season.

I would love to see some TCO numbers of Voyage vs. El Toro in the very long term, like over 10 years.

Oops! Make that "August 2010." I didn't transport myself into the future the last time I rode Voyage.

No one should be surprised. If you did get to ride it early in its inagural season (I was there for opening day) you saw how smooth it could be. But also, it didnt get its speed till later once it broke in. But even then, I knew those heavy, crappy tracking PTC trains (relative to other trains) would destroy it. Theres no process in the world of laying down wood like that to keep it smooth for long.

Im hoping the Timberliners are on before Holiwood Nights but Im sort of doubting it. This ride has a way of throwing kinks into the plans lately. But once those things are on there and the tracking is where they want it, I have no doubt it recaptures many peoples hearts. It was scary smooth (imo) for how intense it was those first few days of operation.

It's gonna be a shame if all this trackwork gets done and the Timberliners still aren't running the tracks this year. Give those PTCs another season and the ride will be back to its rough self in no time.

QFT!

Kind of like Gwazi, you can put better trains on a ride, but if it's all beat to hell it won't help. Those PTC's will kill all this Voyage work pretty quickly.

^ If I remember correctly, the whole goal (and part of the wait for Timberliners) was they needed to retrack the ride because the tolerances on the trains were even tighter. If they did end up running the PTC's on it for more than, 3-4 weeks I would be surprised because indeed, most of the hard work and money would be completely undone.

I do not believe the guys at TGG would let that happen without unforseen circumstances though.

Heres to hoping!

^Dan and Chad were both very, very careful to not speak in definitive terms about what trains would run on Voyage this year. That's what I noticed most about this video. So, who knows? It would seem very strange to do this much overhauling and then just let the PTCs rip the track up again.