TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I don't think they designed this to surpass Wildebeest, as much as they did to complement it. The thing I find most intriguing is the length of the ride itself. Most of the family raft rides I've been on that are similar (minus the hydromagnetic part) are all extremely short in length, slow in speed, low in capacity and even lower in thrill. It looks like this ride improves on all of those issues, especially in speed and thrill, so I'm definitely interested to see how this one turns out.

I agree with you, Adam. The family raft rides have (for the most part) been very short and the lines very long. If I even bother to ride these, I do it when the water park first opens or when crowds are very light. When they only send one raft down at a time and (most of the time) only have two people in the raft, the waits can be horrendous.

Yeah, I agree that $9 mill is a lot for a waterslide, but having that "prized" title of being longest, fastest, first of a kind is a big draw not only for enthusiasts, but families alike...especially when most families will all be able to ride together in one tube. This is a huge win for the park as far as I'm concerned and I've never even been on a water coaster of any kind!

I really wanted to visit HW this year, but it didn't work out. Now I'm kinda glad it didn't because I definitely want to ride me some Mammoth in 2012!

Good god people b*tch so much.

Holiday World definitely may have faulted a bit in the PR of this announcement. Releasing the pricetag of 9 million seems to only have raised the hopes of most people that it would indeed be a small, generic, highly unsatisfying (by the bar HW has set) Eurofighter rather than the world's biggest, highest capacity, and best waterslide. I think they would have been a LOT better off releasing a month ago that the addition was for the water park. People are clearly getting very antsy about adding the steel coaster, the past two days have assured me of that.

Again: Because I know you're listening Holiday World, please do go for innovative and high-ranking as your steel coaster criteria, not something we can find at any Six Flags.

Looks like a GREAT addition to the water park, and should help spread the people out a bit between the 2 water coasters. I'm typically not much of a water park guy, but Wildebeest and now Mammoth have me thinking that I might want to check these bad boys out! The park really seems to have its finger on the pulse of what guests there like and want.

And to any who are moaning and depressed that a steel coaster wasn't announced or hasn't been added yet, I give you this gem of a quote, straight from Dan Koch himself:

Holiday World officials had announced a $9 million project weeks ago, but had remained tight-lipped about the ride itself. Much of the speculation from fans had involved a steel roller coaster, something the park does not currently have. But Koch says such a ride — which would likely cost somewhere around $20 million — will eventually be built.

“We are going to build a steel coaster,” said Koch. “Let me go out on two limbs here. One, the Mammoth is going to be the number one water park ride in the world next year. And two, we are going to build a steel coaster, but I don’t know exactly when. We want to build the right kind of steel coaster, so we have been very actively seeking input from coaster enthusiasts to build the appropriate steel coaster for Holiday World. When we built the Voyage, we put in every kind of element that the enthusiasts love and that our guests love. So we are working very hard on the location and design for a steel coaster to best suit our needs. But it is looming on the horizon.”

Link to article - above quote towards the bottom

They know what they're doing folks....and it sounds like they don't want to just plop any old steel coaster in. When they do add it, it is going to be something memorable that is the right fit for the park. Patience is our friend!

^ In the coming years maybe Holiday world would add a steelie to their list. The timberliners may reduce wear and tear on the voyage's track that there will be less of a need to retrack, thus saving money for a small steel coaster like a eurofighter or one of those premier thingies like sky rocket at kennywood.

Yeah i had that in mind aswell. I think they could, but i don't think they want to or should

^^ That's cool...I think that is a great approach from HW. Build something original that will appeal to both the enthusiast and families that visit.

Don't think that anyone would ever expect a giga, pre-fab, or strata here. I think an Intamin Mega-Lite with unique elements would be more suited to this park's tastes. Perhaps something like Skyrush, but about 120' feet high with fun airtime hills, crazy banked turns and some tunnels....maybe even a couple of inversions or a good launch with a different style of layout?

Getting a Wild Mouse, SLC, Boomerang or some other lame cookie cutter coaster "just to have a steel" does not seem to be the theme for this park and I hope that they never get anything like that, IMO.

I'm very curious to see what they will eventually add though. This park intrigues the hell out of me!

Since we're talking about possible steel coasters for Holiday World in the future, I have to say something along the lines of Powder Keg would be perfect for this park. I believe either Elissa or Chuck mentioned this coaster a while back and I have to agree. I believe it's a perfect blend of family thrills while also being budget-conscious. ...At least compared to B&M and Intamin.

They had the survey a few month's back about what type of steel coaster we would like to see at Holiday World. Most people voted for a Inverted Terrain Coaster. I say 2013 we'll see a fantastic steel invert up the hill through the Voyage. Splashi'n Safari needs this, when I was there the end of July, wait times was much longer in Splashi'n Safari then the park. Most rides was 15-30 minutes and the slides in Splashi'n Safari was 45 minutes minimum. I can't wait, I for one Love Splashi'n Safari and The Wildebeest was a blast, so I am sure Mammoth will be the BOMB!

Edited by ratdogg68

Looks like a GREAT addition to the water park, and should help spread the people out a bit between the 2 water coasters. I'm typically not much of a water park guy, but Wildebeest and now Mammoth have me thinking that I might want to check these bad boys out! The park really seems to have its finger on the pulse of what guests there like and want.

I agree with you. I usually do not take the time to visit water parks when I go around to different theme parks, but on my midwest trip planned for next summer I have left a day for Splashin' Safari simply because it looks amazing. HW definitely knows what they are doing by adding this attraction for next year.

They had the survey a few month's back about what type of steel coaster we would like to see at Holiday World. Most people voted for a Inverted Terrain Coaster. I say 2014 we'll see a fantastic steel invert up the hill through the Voyage. Splashi'n Safari needs this, when I was there the end of July, wait times was much longer in Splashi'n Safari then the park. Most rides was 15-30 minutes and the slides in Splashi'n Safari was 45 minutes minimum. I can't wait, I for one Love Splashi'n Safari and The Wildebeest was a blast, so I am sure Mammoth will be the BOMB!

How do you know what most people voted for? Did they post the results of the survey somewhere? Just wondering.

I filled out the survey and suggested something along the lines of iSpeed.

Last year during my first ever visit to the park (during the MidAmerica trip) Wildebeast easily had the longest line I saw all day. Granted it was hot as hell and a brand new ride, but people seemed to love it, including every TPR peep I was with. I am sure the reaction to this will be the same. My only gripe is I wish it itertangled with Wildebeast next door, though it does do quite a few crossovers with itself. I also hope they plant more trees in the water park.

Paula, do you prefer riding these water coasters over the dry ones?

Considering the Voyage is one of the largest and most intense wooden coasters around, and one of the most popular attractions at Holiday World, I don't think it's too far fetched to think that they would build a giga/hyper/launched steel coaster that is a very large and intense. I could see something like Millennium Force or Expedition GeForce working very well at Holiday World.

It is a family park, but when one of the most intense wooden coasters on the planet is the most popular attraction why not build something similar out of steel steel?

I personally think that Holiday World should start a little smaller out on the steel coaster then going for a hyper or giga right away. I would LOVE to see a Mack or Maurer Sohne launched coaster with inversions. Something bigger but not huge. For instance maybe a 0-50mph launch with three to four inversions would be good for me.

^baha too true, dude at Holiday World you're going to wait no matter what, they have 3 major wood coasters and flats, so the waits don't spread out too much like at CP or any bigger park that has lots of rides to spread out wait times!

As far at the new coaster, I think a medium sized steel is a good fit to start, something like a Eurofighter, Mega-Lite or even something on the same scale of Fahrenheit/Maverick. They have nice terrain to work with out there so they can definitely make something like any of those into a world class, top 10 ride without a doubt!

I'm going to Holiday World soon. What's the best day to go with no lines? What rides do I go to first? Do I go to the water park first? Are there any lines for the coasters in the afternoon? Help please...my family hates waiting in line.

Holiday World opens at 9:30. Head directly to Raven. Then Ride a flat or two. The water park opens at 10:30, however, the lockers open at 9:30. Get your locker and change ahead of the water park opening. As soon as the water park opens, go directly to Wildebeest. Then you can do 1 or 2 other major rides with a very short wait. The coasters have short waits in the afternoon. Last Thursday we got on Raven, Gobbler's Getaway and Pilgrim's Plunge all before we went to get our locker and take off for Wildebeest. Voyage averaged 10-15 min wait and we walked on Raven and Legend in the afternoon.

I love this park. I can't say it enough. Everything they do, they do right. Food is slightly more costly than fast food, however it is very affordable compared to other theme parks, and is fresher, and tastes better. The best food there is Plymouth Rock Cafe, with full Thanksgiving Dinners (including Prime Rib) with air conditioned seating. The best food at the Water Park is Safari Pizza next to the Wave wave pool. The park is clean, and if you begin to think something is dirty, someone is already there cleaning it. The response to thank you, by employees, is My Pleasure! They'll take photos of your family in the park throughout the day and give you a card to access them much like Disney but they are free to download.

I'm not saying they should get one, but i can actually see a mega-lite planted behind pilgrim's plunge. It would probably have some sort of custom layout though since Holiday World is all about original rides.

They had the survey a few month's back about what type of steel coaster we would like to see at Holiday World. Most people voted for a Inverted Terrain Coaster. I say 2014 we'll see a fantastic steel invert up the hill through the Voyage. Splashi'n Safari needs this, when I was there the end of July, wait times was much longer in Splashi'n Safari then the park. Most rides was 15-30 minutes and the slides in Splashi'n Safari was 45 minutes minimum. I can't wait, I for one Love Splashi'n Safari and The Wildebeest was a blast, so I am sure Mammoth will be the BOMB!

How do you know what most people voted for? Did they post the results of the survey somewhere? Just wondering.

I filled out the survey and suggested something along the lines of iSpeed.

They released the results, most people wanted a Terrain Suspended. That's why I think they'll take that survey and run with it. They're about family fun adding Mammoth will help greatly, Splashin' Safari is more crowded then the park anymore. I've grown up around this park and watched it grow. I buy a season pass every year and visit several times a year, spending loads of money and don't regret it. Splashin' Safari is more crowded than last year and this one, was just as crazy last week. This is a much needed attraction for Splashon' Safari.

I would be fine if Holiday World never added another coaster or water ride again, to be honest. Their coaster line-up is amazing right now, and the water park is something I usually just walk through once per visit to see what's there.

I do like their log flume and rapids ride, but I wasn't terribly impressed with Pilgrim's Plunge.

I'd like to see more flat rides, indoor attractions, and transportation/observation rides, personally.

But that's just me.