TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

It's really strange looking at it. Very bizarre. Hopefully it will have good capacity so lines can move faster. Then again, it is a water park, nothing moves quick there!

I believe the capacity was marked at 1,000 which is fairly enormous for a water park.

Thankfully the one time I visited when the waterpark was still open there weren't many people there so we were able to ride Wildebeest four times before the waterpark really started to get busy. I'm expecting this will be similar which honestly is a great thing. I love Holidayworld and only want its attractions to be super popular. And if anyone can run it at full capacity properly, it's Holidayworld. I'm quite excited to get out and try this out and all the improvements (and hopefully timberliners) on Voyage.

The park has confirmed: NO Timberliners in 2012....now planned for 2013.

The new Timberliner trains for The Voyage will not be delivered to us in time for pre-opening testing this spring. Unfortunately, that means we will have to wait until the fall for testing. It is our intent to fully test the new trains and have them on the track for the 2013 season.

They left that comment onthis post on their Facebook page.

Has anyone actually confirmed that the original trains are the reason that Voyage has apparently became rough? Just wondering.

^^^

^ I think people are speaking from prior experience and park Q&A's around the country. It's a known fact that those PTC's chew up the track and spit it out with little remorse. This is quite disappointing if only for the reason listed above...one season with PTC's will undue all that great track work.

Hades has that problem as well, right? The only "rough" experience I have had riding on a Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters train is the Knoebels Twister, but I never experienced the Hersheypark Wildcat or Gwazi at BGT before they got new trains themselves.

^Yeah, Wildcat and Gwazi were both rough with the PTC's and just as bad after getting new trains.

Edit: I wonder if Holiday World has gone back and done a cost analysis to see if it would have been worth it to go for an Intamin or Rocky Mountain style woodie after all of these maintenance costs.

Edited by SharkTums

What is it going to be first? Flying Turns opening or Voyage finally running its Timberliners?

This.

And Elissa, that's a really good point. I do wonder if anyone's thinking perhaps they should have gone a different way with their latest coaster addition after all these issues.

dt

GCI had their Millenium flyers proven and tested back in 2006. With having to buy new trains and pay for all of the offseason work, GCI or Intamin would have had to be cheaper. Is is even realistic to expect them installed next year? I was hoping Raven and Legend would be getting fitted with a pair of these sometime around 13'-14' when I was at HW back when testing was going on in 10'.

^Yeah, Wildcat and Gwazi were both rough with the PTC's and just as bad after getting new trains.

Edit: I wonder if Holiday World has gone back and done a cost analysis to see if it would have been worth it to go for an Intamin or Rocky Mountain style woodie after all of these maintenance costs.

I would agree with you on Gwazi with the Millennium Flyers until recently - they've done some track work on both sides and I've had some really great rides on Gwazi in the last month or two (mainly the first half of the ride). Prior to this current retracking it was retracked a year prior to the Millennium Flyer trains so I can't help but wonder if a year of PTCs running didn't set the MF trains up for success?

Wasn't there some brief rumors last year that Holiday World was exploring possibility of having Rocky Mtn. work on Voyage? Some groups toured the Rocky Mtn. facilities and saw Voyage on a project list but HW quickly said it was only an option they explored but decided against it. (If I remember correctly).

Well, that's disappointing, but with all the extensive track work, one would think that the ride should be in a little bit better shape by the end of the season than it has been in the past. It wouldn't completely go to waste, would it? The park re-built an entire section from the ground up for pete's sake.

Holiday World took the risk, made the commitment, and they're sticking with it. It would be very illogical at this point to choose another option. I'm still excited either way.

I'll be at the park opening weekend to check it out. It should be pretty smooth then at least.

Well, that's disappointing, but with all the extensive track work, one would think that the ride should be in a little bit better shape by the end of the season than it has been in the past. It wouldn't completely go to waste, would it? The park re-built an entire section from the ground up for pete's sake.

Holiday World took the risk, made the commitment, and they're sticking with it. It would be very illogical at this point to choose another option. I'm still excited either way.

I'll be at the park opening weekend to check it out. It should be pretty smooth then at least.

At least for a couple of weeks.

As much of an amazing water park and couple rides they have, I'm really going to have to skip this year and wait again for the Timberliners. I was really hoping to visit when they put them on but I'm not sure if I can skip HW for another season..I do love the hell out of the Voyage.

I would agree with you on Gwazi with the Millennium Flyers until recently - they've done some track work on both sides and I've had some really great rides on Gwazi in the last month or two (mainly the first half of the ride).

I've love to know what Gwazi all these Florida locals keep riding. I think I'm told about once a month by BGT or Orlando locals how much "better" Gwazi has gotten, but the reality is, it's terrible. I honestly think it was better with the PTC trains.

I have no idea what they did to that ride, but the last ride I took on it, about a month ago, was the roughest I ever felt Gwazi.

--Robb

On an aside, why exactly is it that PTC trains chew up and swallow the track that they run on?

They're heavier than the newer-generation trains and don't follow turns at all. The weight tears up the bottoms of hills and once a just little shuffle in the turns begin they continuously wear down the track.

The design dates back to the 40s and 50s and although it was fine through the 80s, once CCI and GCI started making more modern wooden coasters new trains were definitely needed.

At least for a couple of weeks.

Excellent point.

I think I'm going to go there opening weekend. May 2012 is probably going to be the best opportunity for good Voyage rides for a long time to come. Even with the new trains coming next year, I doubt they'll be doing this much track work again soon. Especially not with their giant financial commitment to getting that other park up and running.

Think about this: Todays coasters seem to have more curves than many of the older rides. Many of them seemed to be out and backs that used to grace the parks of yesterday. except for a few, most had long straightaways and high turnarounds.

This is what I am getting from the Holiday world post: The testing has gone well enough for them to order their final trains, but won't enough time to have them delivered, tested, inspected and signed off on time for opening.

To me, this sounds very, very good.