TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I was wondering when these trains would appear, although I was positive Holiday World would be first in line to receive them.

The trains do look a little strange though, but I'm guessing that has some to do with the program used. I remember a video being posted of the trains running on Legend or Raven, and the trains looked more like GCI's millennium flyers. The restraints look cool though, and hopefully these new trains make Voyage much more re-rideable. I will agree with the comments on the pars around the side of the cars. If those stay, hopefully padding is put there like on American Eagle.

That crotch-poking seat-horn thing is probably going to be a deal-breaker for me, though.

You call your special area your "deal"?

No, I call it Lord Butterscotch. But I can see how you might have been confused.

I've had bad experiences with those things in the past, due to my thick, turtle-like shape. Even if they don't bother most people, they can totally ruin a ride for me.

/And also, I'm huge.

What's with those weird things on the sides? Like some sort of side headrest? WTF?

I really wish they'd release renderings with a person in the seat so I could understand how exactly these things look with someone sitting in it. Right now it looks like some weird claustrophic steampunk machine.

Those things on the sides are 'grab bars' - same as on GCI Mellenium Flyer trains. They are a 'classic' feature as far as I'm concerned, which is very cool. They were on many old woodies like the Riverview Bobs, and variations of them were on trains by other coaster companies, years and years ago. You are gonna have to google it, I'm too lazy.

In my opinion, I don't think the ride can get much rougher so hopefully these trains will at least help a bit. I'm guessing it will be like the difference in PTC vs Millennium Flyers on GCI Coasters. That being said, I'm a bit concerned with the metal bar that looks to be around head level on the side of each seat. There's a lot of lateral movement on this ride and my head does not want to bash into a bar.

Did you think Boardwalk Bullet was rougher than Voyage? I don't think Voyage is anywhere near as bad as Bullet was. Bullet seemeed very moody and unpredictable. Voyage has been pretty consistant as far as being bumpy - stay away from the middle.

Oh, here's the Timberliner press release thing I found on GG's site when they first came out.

timberliner-postcard.thumb.jpg.5beaefe6b29ebe2892c91629e114c80c.jpg

I felt they were both very similar with their roughness, but Voyage's went on a lot longer and didn't have too many rest spots to regroup. The one thing I remember from the 2007 TPR Midwest Trip is that I rode Voyage once, and had such a bad headache that I couldn't even look at it the rest of the day.

I didn't even bother riding BB again on our most recent visit!

Hmmm, that says a lot huh.

BTW, I still feel like that logo says "TimberJiner"!!!

These are neat! I always thought it would be cool to have Millenium Flyers without the bars for the front seat, and that's pretty much what these are! They look somewhat odd but hopefully they do what they're thinking they'll do. Looking even more forward to next summer now!

It's great that these trains are getting on a coaster, and hopefully they'll work as intended, I don't doubt the Gravity Group will do exactly what they've said.

I definitely think this will make some of their rides more pleasurable, but at the same time I'm a little disappointed in how divided the seats look, I've always liked Millennium Flyers and their small seat dividers, they just seem to add to the "classic" wooden coaster feel. At any rate, I look forward to hearing how they compare!

The new trains do look very comfortable and I'm sure they will ride much better than the bulky PTCs. But they have a weird look to them, I'm afraid the trains will look kind of ugly in signature shots. If it does, who cared,I'd much rather have a better ride experience than a better looking ride. Also, I'm going to Holiday World next year, and I can't wait to ride Voyage with these new Timberliners. I haven't been to Holiday World since 2001 and so I haven't ridden Voyage yet (I have ridden Raven & Legend though) I just wish I could of ridden Voyage with the PTC's just to know how they compare.

Hmmm.. interesting design- the whole lead car is cantilevered. There's no zero car like the Millennium Flyers. As a matter of fact, I think this is the first coaster train to feature a cantilevered lead car.

Or, the renderer was too lazy and just cut and paste...

I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure that it's just an error in the computer rendering. Otherwise, the front car would tilt forward and scrape along the track, which would definitely add to the thrill factor in a dying/severe injury sort of way. Either that, or there's a really strong beam underneath the car holding up the front of it.

I think the PTC cars may look better, but these cars look like they'll be very comfortable. It'll also be interesting to see a 14 car train. I wish I could get out to Holiday World and ride this thing!

Everyone has to be a critic! I think the new trains look amazing.

Quoted for truth

They have a retro kind of look to them, kind of like an arrow looper train does, And i absolutely adore the style and the Phantom-like lap bars

All the more reason for me to head back next year

It's great that these trains are getting on a coaster, and hopefully they'll work as intended, I don't doubt the Gravity Group will do exactly what they've said.

I definitely think this will make some of their rides more pleasurable, but at the same time I'm a little disappointed in how divided the seats look, I've always liked Millennium Flyers and their small seat dividers, they just seem to add to the "classic" wooden coaster feel. At any rate, I look forward to hearing how they compare!

I agree, I really like the classic look of the GCI Millennium Flyers - but it's a trade off, b/c those lapbar really stink on those rides.

I hope the bodies are molded sheet metal and not fiberglass. Having more of a bench seat would look for attractive on a woodie, but hey guess we will have to wait to find out.

What about seatbelts? I talked to one of the Gravity Group guys last summer and he said the new trains will most likely have seatbelts. If so, I'm wondering how they will work, can't really see them in the renderings.