TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I was there with Larry on Saturday, too. Oh well, there will be other days to ride Twisted Timbers.

Sorry I didn't bump into you guys and that you didn't get on Twisted Timbers! Maybe next time.

Per Bert's excellent secretarial skills demonstrated a few pages back, I was indeed able to snag a ride on Twisted Timbers when it opened later in the evening. I messaged "Voyage" about it but didn't have time to post here since I quickly threw my stuff in a bunny bin and got in line, which they promptly closed not long after for a short while for unknown reasons and then reopened it again for the remainder of the night. Really enjoyed it, super smooth, and that barrel roll drop was wild. Volcano is still my favorite ride at the park because I'm a sucker for launch coasters but Timbers is a close 2nd.

Someone asked about loose articles on TT: Glasses with tightened straps are allowed. I was told I could not enter the queue with my small black fanny pack or my visor so I went and put it in a bunny bin. However, the lady behind me in line as well as at least 10 other people in line not far back from me entered with various items including hats they were wearing, large messenger bags, fanny packs, and brightly colored draw string bags packed to the brim. The ops would then take the item from them and put it on the unload platform while they rode. So, who knows. Operations are slow enough with those restraints so I'm happy to put my things in a bunny to try to speed things up!

After processing my mom's Platinum Pass we finally entered the park at 12:15pm. We rode: Rebel Yell x2 (blue side was extra awesome), Drop Zone, Apple Zapple, I-305, Stunt Coaster, Volcano, I-305 again, Boo Blasters, Scooby Doo Coaster, Twisted Timbers back row, and a front seat ride on Volcano to end the night - where we were the only ones on the train! It was awesome.

Sounds like you had a great day and I'm happy to see Rebel Yell is getting some love! That was my first "Big Girl" coaster.

Seems like it's too early in the season for any consistency with the new loose articles policy. Maybe they'll have it down by the time I'm there in 2 months.

I went to the park on Sunday and had an awesome time. I’d been on Easter in the past and, once again, crowds were light. I managed to get four rides on Twisted Timbers, despite short 15-20 minute mechanical breaks each time I got in line. If it wasn’t for mechanical issues, we never would have waited more than 20 minutes to ride. They removed the green train around 7 PM. When I came back a little later and got in line, the blue train was also having issues. After three test runs, they closed off the second row and reopened the ride - and I managed to get a night ride!

I sat in the front and back rows, and I have to say I preferred the back. The first drop towards the rear of the train is just nuts, and I must say I’m glad they went with the barrell roll drop for TT. You get a slightly different ride depending on which side of the train you sit. The left side (on-ride) gets better laterals (especially the final turn around), while the right side gets better airtime on the trick-track and outward-banked airtime hills. The combination of the drop out of the trick-track into the following airtime hill, then followed by the outward-banked hill, is just about as crazy as the first three big airtime hills. I can’t think of a better addition for King’s Dominion. As with all RMCs, it was all smiles and laughter on the break run.

Regarding the loose article policy, the ride ops at the line entrance told me to stick my hat and sunglasses in my coat pockets, and they were fine with me tucking my hat under my coat. Basically, that’s what the sign/stated policy says! I think they have a pretty absolute “no bags” policy as they currently have no place for personal belongings in the station.

Most other rides kept short lines throughout the day. I arrived around noon, but I didn’t wait more than 15-20 minutes for Volcano, including a front seat ride. Intimidator 305 is as awesome as ever, and probably still my favorite in the park. Grizzly was wild and fun. Dominator feels even farther away from everything with Twisted Timbers being open, but I’m still happy it’s right by the entrance!

So I know this has probably been brought up several times in this thread, but where's a good place to stay in the area? I've ruled out the hotels across the street, which are subject to earthquakes via passing trains that run behind them (they're not pulling a fast one on me a second time). I remembered staying at the Hampton Inn in Ashland and liking that okay, but I was curious if anyone knew somewhere that might be better/cheaper.

I've stayed at most of the lower priced places in Ashland (Motel 6, Super 8, Quality Inn, Days Inn, and Sleep Inn) and the Sleep Inn was best for the money. I just need a clean room without gunshots or crack whores knocking on the door, so I do the Days Inn or Super 8 for Wyndham points most often.

Days Inn in Ashland is alright, we stayed there a couple years ago. Absolutely no bells and whistles but its perfectly clean, quiet, no issues, and its 10 minutes south of the park. Whatever you do don't stay at the Econo Lodge in Ruther Glen.

Thanks, you guys. Yeah, I'm kinda partial to the Hilton chain (plus I'm one of their rewards members), though I wouldn't be opposed to the Sleep Inn since I like having a fitness center and indoor pool, but the Days Inn might work especially if I'm looking to save a few bucks.

Oh, and thanks for the warning about the Econo Lodge, bold. After staying in a nightmarish Comfort Inn in Williamsburg, VA, I certainly appreciate being told to steer clear of certain places.

So I know this has probably been brought up several times in this thread, but where's a good place to stay in the area? I've ruled out the hotels across the street, which are subject to earthquakes via passing trains that run behind them (they're not pulling a fast one on me a second time). I remembered staying at the Hampton Inn in Ashland and liking that okay, but I was curious if anyone knew somewhere that might be better/cheaper.

I wouldn't recommend the Comfort Inn in Ruther Glen. I stayed there just this week. There's a 24 hour Denny's/ truck stop right across the street and all I heard all night was loud truck brakes and loud truck engines like it was right outside my door. I got no sleep. I even downloaded a white noise app thinking that would drown out the truck noise, but it didn't.

Whenever I visit I always stay in Glen Allen. Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center (Hilton), SpringHill Suites by Marriott, and Comfort Suites At Virginia Center Commons are all nice with decent rates and in a good area if you don't mind staying 15 mins/15 miles from the park. I highly recommend the Hilton as you can often catch some great rates there even though its more upscale.

Been a strange day here at Kings Dominion... Not very crowded but having tough luck with breakdowns and 1 train ops. Twisted Timbers was amazing though.

Volcanos line is in the room above the station... Anyone know how long that is?

If the room is completely full (and just the first room) and the back car is closed to prevent rollbacks (I assume this is the case) it's about an hour max. Well worth it...

Been a strange day here at Kings Dominion... Not very crowded but having tough luck with breakdowns and 1 train ops. Twisted Timbers was amazing though.

Volcanos line is in the room above the station... Anyone know how long that is?

If the room is completely full (and just the first room) and the back car is closed to prevent rollbacks (I assume this is the case) it's about an hour max. Well worth it...

Awesome. Thank you!

I visited Kings Dominion on Monday April 2nd and it was the highlight of my trip. Going in I had very high expectations for Intimidator 305 and Twisted Timbers and both surpassed those expectations. But the other supporting coasters were pretty good too. The park was pretty empty. Everything except Volcano and Twisted Timbers was a walk on. And I did end of getting a FL+ because not only was there a wait for Twisted Timbers, they were only running 1 train and the operations were gruelingly slow, which I will talk about later...

So Dominator was the first ride of the day and it was fun but a little too rough for my liking, especially the 2nd half. I rode it in the back first and then later in the day gave it another ride in the front and the experience wasn't too different. It's also not to intense, probably the most intense moment is the vertical loop, it gives some great hang-time, but the rest of the inversions are not all that intense. So because it's rough and not all that intense I have to say it is a below average coaster.

Then I rode Volcano and while I think it is a very good ride, it left me wanting a whole lot more. That first launch is amazing, and then the second launch actually caught me off guard because the train is just flying and then you go faster, it is very intense and very fun. Then shooting out of the volcano happens so fast it takes a couple seconds to realize what happened. Then you just kind of meander around the volcano and the ride goes from very intense to just Ok, and then it's over. It's an above average coaster because of those launches, but at the same time it's kind of a one trick pony.

Next was Avalanche and I loved this ride. Obviously it's not the most intense ride in the world, but I just think that Bobsled coasters are so fun and unique.

Then I hit Intimidator 305 and found my new favorite coaster, knocking Lightning Rod down to #2. It's easily the most intense coaster I have ever ridden. I wouldn't say it's perfectly smooth, especially in the back, but it's smooth enough. That first turn after the drop is insane. On one ride (of my 15+) I did start to see stars but I didn't fully grey-out, although I wanted to... Going in I thought the restraints could be a negative but they weren't, and I thought the ride time was a little short, but at the end of the ride it didn't leave me wanting more, so I think for as intense as a ride that this is, the ride time is perfect. Overall it's just a perfect coaster. Now with me still to ride Twisted Timbers and visiting Carowinds in a couple days the questions is how long with I-305 last as my favorite coaster...

After riding I-305 4 or 5 times in a row I hit Rebel Yell which surprised the hell out of me. It's pretty smooth, and it looked like parts had been rebuilt. THe only rough part was the turnaround. It provides some good air and it was mildly intense. It's probably me second favorite classic woody behind the Beast at Kings Island. For an older wooden coaster it's definitely above average.

Then we decided to eat and hit the drop tower. The drop tower was good but when we were on it we saw that Twisted Timbers was up and running.

We bolted for TT and thought the line was pretty short, it started on the steps up to the station, but it turned out to be about 40 minutes before we got on. when you get to the station there are still a coupe long switchbacks that you have to go through, and the operations were terrible plus they were only running 1 train. I'm not going to complain about the 1 train because leading up to the day of my visit there was word that it wasn't running at all, and it wasn't running the day I was there right away. Now the reason the operations were so slow is because there were a million walk's of shame and the ride operators really took a lot of time trying to fit these people into these seats.

So what my cousin and I did was immediately purchase FL+ (no discount on that for platinum pass holders BTW) and tell the person assigning rows that we were single riders instead of together. Because even with FL+, once you were assigned a row the wait could still be 20 minutes. With that system 95% of the time we were on the next train. And I did get to ride in the very back, and very front. Back is the best, but the ride experience is incredible no matter where you sit.

Ok, so as for the ride experience. The new trains were said to make the ride smoother and that is absolutely the case. Easily the smoothest roller coaster I have ever been on. After going up the loudest lift hill ever, the drop is awesome, just like Storm Chaser, but IMO that's where the comparison's of the 2 rides end's. IMO TT is vastly superior. After the drop the turn around the station is as intense as any turn on any other RMC, then the 3 back to back air time hills IMO is the best part of the ride. They are definitely ejector hills, but I kind of floated down back into my seat. So it was like a hybrid of ejector and floater and it was something I have never experienced before, which made it super cool! Then to have that inverted cutback (or whatever it's called) right after that is icing on the cake. All the rest of the airtime hills are great ejector hills, and the final inversion is awesome. It's just an amazing ride and it completely shattered my expectations.

So after riding TT we hit Grizzly and that thing is just garbage. Easily the roughest roller coaster I've ever been on. Throughout the whole ride I was thinking that they RMC'd the wrong coaster...

After that nightmare I figured we could add to it so we got on Anaconda. I usually don't mind the old Arrow loopers, but this one is trash.

So the est of the day we just rode I-305 and TT most of the time with some stops at Volcano and Avalanche. We didn't ride Flight of Fear or Backlot because we go to Kings Island all the time and I didn't want to waste time riding something we have already experienced. We also didn't ride Apple Zapple because, well, it's right next to Twisted Timbers and every time I thought about riding it I just said screw it, let's go on TT again...

Overall it was an amazing day. Probably the most fun I've had at a park in a long time, and easily the highlight of my trip.

Rode it twice yesterday, 2nd to last row and the 2nd row. The ride is really good in the second row, but much more intense in the 2nd to last row. The minor looking back-to-back humps are perfectly timed to provide ejector air (for those back cars) and then pop you right back into the air right as you land from the previous hump.

Rode it twice yesterday, 2nd to last row and the 2nd row. The ride is really good in the second row, but much more intense in the 2nd to last row. The minor looking back-to-back humps are perfectly timed to provide ejector air (for those back cars) and then pop you right back into the air right as you land from the previous hump.

When I went they had the 2nd row blocked off so it's good to hear that they fixed the problem they were having with that row.

^^Awesome Trip Report! Sounds like you had an incredible time! All of these reviews for TT and Kings Dominion is really hyping me up for a trip to KD... Can't wait.

It was an incredible time, and I wish I could go (and maybe I will) in the summer when everything will be running faster!

I visited Kings Dominion on Monday April 2nd

I was at the park that day too, and it was a great day at KD! It was almost perfect, with the exception of the slow TT operations - nevertheless, I was still able to get several rides in. Plus Drop Tower, The Crypt, and the Eiffel Tower were all open, which were not open the previous weekend.

I strongly disagree with you about Dominator. I enjoy it better in the back, even if there is a slight rattle. The front is really smooth though; you probably would have enjoyed it more there. The only thing this ride is missing is a zero-g roll. But I love the inversions, I love the way it meanders to add length, and I especially love the airtime after the MCBR.

So Dominator was the first ride of the day and it was fun but a little too rough for my liking, especially the 2nd half. I rode it in the back first and then later in the day gave it another ride in the front and the experience wasn't too different. It's also not to intense, probably the most intense moment is the vertical loop, it gives some great hang-time, but the rest of the inversions are not all that intense. So because it's rough and not all that intense I have to say it is a below average coaster.

This makes me so sad to hear!!! When I rode Dominator it BLEW me away!! It was such an amazing ride!! This was my review of the ride when I rode it in 2016:

Dominator: Dominator is by far the best floorless coaster I have ever been on. I really like how the pre-lift is a little different than the standard turn into the lift that you see on most B&M coasters. That loop though. . . Oh my! Words can not describe how massive it is. I don't know if it was because it was a slow day and the train was running a little slower than usual, but the amount of hangtime in the back row was un-real! I have never experienced anything like that on a B&M before. Also, I noticed throughout the day that none of the trims were actually being used, (again probably because it was a cold day, and the train was already running slow enough.) The MCBR never slowed the train down which made for some amazing airtime on the drop off the MCBR in the back row! The ride was glass smooth, and shockingly forcefull! A great way to start the day! 18 rides! 10/10!

Sad to hear that you didn't have the same experience. But hey, at least you got to enjoy i305, and TT!!

I try my best to enjoy Dominator, but it gives me a headache every time I ride it. It's probably not the rides fault, as it's a really good coaster, but I am very prone to headaches. Doesn't stop me from riding it at least twice each trip though!

20180325_124126.thumb.jpg.0397a20e1cda527e529521e24f82320b.jpg

Taken 3/25/18