TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Probably not much of a surprise but Falcon’s Fury is temporarily closed again. Also Sheikra is going to be closed from November 1st-December 22nd. I wasn’t expecting that long of a closure after it was already closed for a month earlier this year.

4 hours ago, YoshiFan said:

Probably not much of a surprise but Falcon’s Fury is temporarily closed again. Also Sheikra is going to be closed from November 1st-December 22nd. I wasn’t expecting that long of a closure after it was already closed for a month earlier this year.

I wonder if they will be replacing another section of track like they did earlier this year?

First time visiting Florida and I was hoping to get some advice. I see everyday for the next cpl weeks has thunderstorms listed at about 58%. I hear random thunderstorms are pretty common in Florida but typically only last a few minutes. Should I expect the rides to be closed for a large portion of the day? 

Yes.

If you get lucky the storms may only last about an hour per day but it’s very common for them to last for hours or for there to be multiple storms.

This is every day. Don’t even bother with hour-by-hour or any of that stuff that works in normal places.

We go to Orlando almost monthly in the fall, winter and spring but always avoid summer. If I were to go in the summer this is the last park you would find me at since this one has no indoor rides whatsoever.

yup. . in the rain, everything shuts down and your choices are:  Animal "stunt" show  or  Ice Skating show. . . . which will both be PACKED with wet, stinky people trying to get out of the rain.

assuming either is operating these days. . I know both shows closed during Covid. .did they ever reopen?

tho I guess you could "hide" in the indoor restaurant area over by Scorpion. . but that too will be packed with wet, stinky, people.

Shows did return but they aren’t every day especially during the week and during the slow times of the year. Today for example there is just a Sesame Street show. 

The lack of indoor attractions is frustrating. I was there weeks ago try to get a few rides in during a short visit. It never rained but there was thunder and lightning and the rides were closed for over an hour. I ended up sitting under cover just outside Iron Gwazi’s entrance until it reopened. A dark ride or enclosed flat ride/coaster would be a good addition. 

I don't get a lot of time off to go to parks at off peak times.  I want to take my son to ride Gwazi and I'm considering the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Will the crowds be awful? I'm willing to go if they are moderate but I don't want to spend the money and travel just to get into a crowded mess.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:35 PM, prozach626 said:

Would be nice to see someone prosecuted for this shit, when it results in injury.

It is the property owners liability, not the guest’s: 

“Property owners (or non-owner residents) have a responsibility to maintain a relatively safe environment so that people who come onto the property don't suffer an injury. This responsibility is known as "premises liability," which holds property owners and residents liable for accidents and injuries that occur on their property. The types of incidents that may result in premises liability claims can range from a slip and fall on a public sidewalk to an injury suffered on an amusement park ride.”

Would BGT be responsible?

6 minutes ago, CP_RULES said:

It is the property owners liability, not the guest’s: 

“Property owners (or non-owner residents) have a responsibility to maintain a relatively safe environment so that people who come onto the property don't suffer an injury. This responsibility is known as "premises liability," which holds property owners and residents liable for accidents and injuries that occur on their property. The types of incidents that may result in premises liability claims can range from a slip and fall on a public sidewalk to an injury suffered on an amusement park ride.”

Would BGT be responsible?

Premises liability only goes so far.  If someone takes a deliberate action in violation of stated/posted rules, the liability then falls on the individual person.

If someone gets punched in the face inside the park, it is not the park that has the legal liability, because they have a stated/posted "no fighting" rule.  That someone chose to disregard it is out of their reasonable control.  Same thing with taking a phone out on a ride.

1 minute ago, AmyUD06 said:

Premises liability only goes so far.  If someone takes a deliberate action in violation of stated/posted rules, the liability then falls on the individual person.

If someone gets punched in the face inside the park, it is not the park that has the legal liability, because they have a stated/posted "no fighting" rule.  That someone chose to disregard it is out of their reasonable control.  Same thing with taking a phone out on a ride.

So basically whoever has the better lawyer wins, it could go either way depending on how convincing you are. Phone face person loses. Go America.

You're confusing civil law with criminal law.

I'm familiar with Illinois criminal statutes, so this is my example reference:

Reckless conduct is covered under 720 ILCS 5/12-5. The law states that a person commits reckless conduct when he or she recklessly performs any act or acts that; Cause bodily harm to or endanger the safety of another person. Cause great bodily harm, permanent disability or disfigurement to another person.

But... It would probably get plead down to a noise complaint and 30 days probation, anyway... If it resulted in death, there would be a $300 fine associated with it.

12 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

Let me preface that I have not been to BGT since before Gwazi opened. While the above is true, it's going to depend on how clearly the no cell phone policy is posted and audibly communicated.

Given the number of cell phone incidents on RMC coasters which have resulted in metal detectors, locker usage enforcement, signage, and audible recordings, etc.  If these aren't in use at BGT it can open up a small window of liability. Again, given the number of incidents with previous RMC coasters, they can't hide behind it's the person's fault for being their phone on with them. Share the blame, absolutely. 

IronGwaziQueue.thumb.jpeg.3d1db1969d713b8ce5e05747b562f7de.jpeg

This was Iron Gwazi's station at around 1:00 today.  Yeah I know local schools are in session but it's still amazing to see the trains going out with so many empty rows on a new RMC.

Also merchandise now has a 5% surcharge. A few months ago they added the surcharge to food and drinks.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:37 AM, YoshiFan said:

IronGwaziQueue.thumb.jpeg.3d1db1969d713b8ce5e05747b562f7de.jpeg

This was Iron Gwazi's station at around 1:00 today.  Yeah I know local schools are in session but it's still amazing to see the trains going out with so many empty rows on a new RMC.

Also merchandise now has a 5% surcharge. A few months ago they added the surcharge to food and drinks.

One of the biggest perks this ride has over SV. I was at CP 2 weeks ago and it and Maverick were the only two rides with a steady line all day. Marathoning an RMC of this caliber is really unique exceptional (other large scale RMCs like Zadra have tedious lines for example).

It was supposed to reopen in late summer but then they cancelled that because it would have to close again because of Screamin’ Swing construction. I wouldn’t be surprised if it never reopens considering the staffing it requires and so many parks getting rid of them over the last few years. 

10 hours ago, gardyloo! said:

One of the biggest perks this ride has over SV. I was at CP 2 weeks ago and it and Maverick were the only two rides with a steady line all day. Marathoning an RMC of this caliber is really unique exceptional (other large scale RMCs like Zadra have tedious lines for example).

I plan to marathon a lot once the weather gets cooler. After 3 rides on Iron Gwazi, 1 on Cheetah Hunt, Montu and Cobra’s Curse combined with the heat index just under 110 degrees, I had enough.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, YoshiFan said:

Anyone have an update on Falcon's Fury?  It was closed when we went this summer and I'm headed back to BGT next month.  Really hoping it's open by then as FF is easily my favorite drop tower.

So, I'm going to Busch Gardens Tampa for the first time soon and had some questions I wanted to ask before I go.

1. If I fit on everything at Six Flags Darien Lake and Hersheypark, should I have any problem fitting on anything at Busch Gardens Tampa? I am admittedly on the slightly bigger end. Like, how different is fitting on those RMC trains like on Iron Gwazi compared to fitting into an Intamin Mega Coaster train?

2. Any cool natural places to check out nearby?

3. Any good food in and around the park?

If you can fit on everything at Hersheypark, I think you should be able to fit on everything at BGT. Fahrenheit is probably more restrictive than anything at BGT with how Hershey keeps shortening the belts.

I haven't been there myself but the Sunken Gardens are supposed to be good.

https://www.stpete.org/visitors/sunken_gardens.php

I'm not sure about the food, I usually go to Wawa on the way home.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, VegasBaby said:

Anyone have an update on Falcon's Fury?  It was closed when we went this summer and I'm headed back to BGT next month.  Really hoping it's open by then as FF is easily my favorite drop tower.

Supposedly there is a wall around the ride. I don't think it will be reopening anytime soon but I hope I am wrong.

19 hours ago, TheAmericanKnight said:

So, I'm going to Busch Gardens Tampa for the first time soon and had some questions I wanted to ask before I go.

1. If I fit on everything at Six Flags Darien Lake and Hersheypark, should I have any problem fitting on anything at Busch Gardens Tampa? I am admittedly on the slightly bigger end. Like, how different is fitting on those RMC trains like on Iron Gwazi compared to fitting into an Intamin Mega Coaster train?

2. Any cool natural places to check out nearby?

3. Any good food in and around the park?

The Premier trains on Tigris are pretty tight, so definitely try out the test seat on that one.  You should be fine on the rest of the coasters.

19 hours ago, TheAmericanKnight said:

I use to work as a Rides Supervisor at Darien Lake, and at one point a Millennium Force ride host for a whole 5 days so I’m fairly familiar with those restraints (and I can only imagine the new trains are even more accommodating, with the Dragster style t-bar). If anything, I’d say that Iron Gwazi is more accommodating based on the body types of those I’ve seen ride and not be able to ride. Good luck and have fun! 

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, the park will be closed Wednesday and Thursday and possibly Friday too (part of the e-mail says Friday, the other part does not).

BUSCH GARDENS TAMPA BAY WILL BE CLOSED
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 28 – FRIDAY, SEPT. 30

Dear Pass Member,

Due to Hurricane Ian, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay will be closed Wednesday, Sept. 28 & Thursday, Sept. 29. Please stay tuned to our social media channels for updates. Annual Pass members’ guest tickets with an expiration date of Sept. 30 will be extended through Oct. 16. “

I hope anyone in the path of the hurricane remains safe.