TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Yeah it's been closed pretty consistently regularly, but when it was open and operating for a few trips I made back in 2021 I guess it was, there was never anyone in line for it. The half a dozen rides I've had on it even on days when the park was crowded it was never more than a 10 minute wait maybe. Just something to keep mind. Sand Serpent and Scorpion can have a full que and Falcon's Fury would still be a walk on.

• Like 1

Iron Gwazi is closed today - Thursday.

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/park-info/ride-attraction-schedule/

Looks like another unexpected closure as it wasn't on the upcoming closed rides list. They also likely wouldn't plan to close the ride when Tampa schools are still on winter break and with the park very crowded. Montu had a posted 3 hour wait earlier today.

Yeah, stopped by on my way to Fort Meyers from North Carolina today as ot was the last day for my membership. I was quite bummed out as I won't get back to ride it in the near future. I had been checking the closures page every week or two since November and was super frustrated when I got there today, although not nearly as much as the family who showed up this week from England at the ticket window next to me.

On 1/2/2023 at 2:21 PM, YoshiFan said:

Iron Gwazi is closed today - Thursday.

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/park-info/ride-attraction-schedule/

Looks like another unexpected closure as it wasn't on the upcoming closed rides list. They also likely wouldn't plan to close the ride when Tampa schools are still on winter break and with the park very crowded. Montu had a posted 3 hour wait earlier today.

Thanks for putting this info out there! I was planning on going on Jan 20, but with IG closed, I'll adjust and go Sunday before I leave!

5 hours ago, tndank said:

?? 

IG reopened today.

I saw scheduled down time and gwazi. 🤦 I guess I have 2 choices. My flight lands around 12 on Friday. I'm either go Friday when I get there, or go on Sunday before i fly out around 7pm. 

Anyone have any recommendations?

Friday, lines will be mostly walk ons with maybe Iron Gwazi, Cheetah Hunt and Cobra’s Curse having up to 20 minute waits. Usually by the early afternoon, Iron Gwazi is a 0-10 minute wait on weekdays when local schools are in session. 

A Sunday will be more crowded, not horrible but those same rides will likely be 30-60 minute waits. 

• Like 1

Right now basically every non-coaster ride in the park except for the train and rapids are closed either for refurbishment or because the park doesn't care. The only ones that really stand out are Falcon's Fury which will almost definitely be broken, the Sky Ride which will definitely be closed for budget and the train which you should ride from the station "near" Cheetah Hunt to see the animals. I enjoy Stanley Falls because of-course I do but it's closed for like 2 months.

Best seat on Montu is the back, closest to the load side. Best seat on Kumba is the back, closest to the unload side. I don't have a preference on anything else.

• Thanks 1

Hearing that the water on Cheetah has stopped again.  Anyone know what's up with that?  Makes the s bends so much better and feel faster with the water rushing by....and is just a fantastic touch.  Sad to see small things like this go away.  But then again.....#PantheonTheming

The water wasn't there on Tuesday. I was hoping it was like that for the day only and it's not back not having water again permanently.

One good thing was operations were better than normal. Iron Gwazi had around 2 minute dispatches and Cheetah Hunt wasn't stacking (although only 2 trains were running).

1753696711_BGT1.thumb.jpeg.16033dbc4388237bd0eba35730fcbc77.jpeg

2117899830_BGT3.thumb.jpeg.e2c41b32d721aa101ac1b5db794d9b44.jpeg

Phoenix is completely gone.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what they do with the space where Phoenix goes, seems like the Screamin Swing ride would have been a perfect fit right there but instead that's going in over across the way. I'm also interested to see what kind of lines Serengeti Flyer gets after it's been open for a little while, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere in the park and I can just see it being a walk on almost all the time.

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I'm going to be in Tampa on Sunday and Monday this weekend. Haven't been on Iron Gwazi yet, so was hoping to swing by the park to check it out and maybe hit Montu, as well.

Only time I'll have free to hit the park is Sunday late-afternoon/evening and Monday morning/early afternoon. Which would be less crowded? I know it's MLK weekend and kids are out of school, so not expecting that much of a difference between Sunday and Monday. Just wanted to see if one day would be better than the other.

Last year Sunday was a lot less crowded than Monday but that was probably because the Buccaneers played a playoff game that day. This year they are playing Monday night so it probably won’t make Monday less crowded at least not until later in the day.

If you can get there at opening Monday, I’d probably go then. If you stay ahead of the crowd you should be able to get to Iron Gwazi and then Montu before it gets too crowded. Montu has been running 1 train a lot and the line can get bad by late morning on weekends/holidays. 

29 minutes ago, YoshiFan said:

Last year Sunday was a lot less crowded than Monday but that was probably because the Buccaneers played a playoff game that day. This year they are playing Monday night so it probably won’t make Monday less crowded at least not until later in the day.

If you can get there at opening Monday, I’d probably go then. If you stay ahead of the crowd you should be able to get to Iron Gwazi and then Montu before it gets too crowded. Montu has been running 1 train a lot and the line can get bad by late morning on weekends/holidays. 

Yeah I'll be able to get there at opening on Monday. I just saw too that they are including a free meal at the park with admission, so I could take a spin on the coasters and then enjoy some lunch before heading out.  Thank you for the input! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJ_Sillybootz said:

Has anyone purchased the two park ticket before? I was wondering if I both that, if both tickets could be used the same day? Basically looking to get me and a friend in a little cheaper. Do they do twilight hours or anything?

I presume you mean a BGT/SWO two-park ticket.  If that's the case, yes I bought one back in 2021 through TicketsatWork.com.  I don't recall if there was a restriction on using them the same day, but I do know that there was only one printout/barcode that I used.  Sorry if this doesn't help.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

I presume you mean a BGT/SWO two-park ticket.  If that's the case, yes I bought one back in 2021 through TicketsatWork.com.  I don't recall if there was a restriction on using them the same day, but I do know that there was only one printout/barcode that I used.  Sorry if this doesn't help.

That's important, thanks!

11 hours ago, DJ_Sillybootz said:

Has anyone purchased the two park ticket before? I was wondering if I both that, if both tickets could be used the same day? Basically looking to get me and a friend in a little cheaper. Do they do twilight hours or anything?

A few years back we bought a sea world orlando ticket combo with a Busch Gardens Tampa ticket. Included parking and meals at both parks. It was pretty slick 

• Thanks 1