TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Yeah, that’s pretty alarming. Great Adventure and New England have run every single coaster in their HITP lineup in colder weather (32 degrees, sunny and not windy). Unless they just chose to do that because the park was empty and they didn’t care (which is likely since it’s Six Flags) then it doesn’t bode well for Holiday in the Park. Was there ice overnight or something (that wouldn't have melted if it never got above 32)?

They probably didn't run the rides because the attendance these couple weeks is very low. You save on labor and you potentially cut down on maintenance costs if cold weather makes you replace things more often. Plus I watched a maintenance worker stand at the American Thunder control panel at SFSL for an hour or more (the ride was estopping because the trains were coming in late and the computer's timer was flagging it) during- I'm guessing they don't want to spare workers for something like that in cold weather until the event starts.

Peppermint Swirl is the cutest teacups name ever.

Fixed that for you.

Terror Twister II is the best teacups name ever.

Just Googled that, and that is amazing. Love it.

I've only ever been to SFGAm in the summer, and also one visit in the winter in 7 degree weather for Goliath construction tour. From what it looks like, though, they're doing a good job with their special events in the fall/winter.

HITP Trip Report

Today was my first ever HITP visit and it was great. The park did a very good job decorating the park. I was able to on every coaster and thrill ride that was open twice. Overall the park wasn’t too busy even though the weather was nice. I can’t wait to get to the park in December after today.

My mind was blown by the images and videos from Great America. The fact that they made a light tree on the drop tower and then pixel mapped it to coordinate with the (also pixel mapped) lights that totally surround Chubasco is ridiculously cool. I feel like if people show up on a day where every outdoor coaster is unable to run they'll still walk away loving this event (plus they still have flats, Chubasco, Justice League and Dark Knight).

Also even though I'd imagine it's one train ops across the board it was awesome to see Raging Bull hit 70 minutes. The fact that people turned up to the event on a 50 degree night is hardly proof of concept but everyone should be happy with what they saw yesterday.

Frontier Airlines, if you're listening hit us with one of those $15 sales to O'Hare, please and thank you.

My mind was blown by the images and videos from Great America. The fact that they made a light tree on the drop tower and then pixel mapped it to coordinate with the (also pixel mapped) lights that totally surround Chubasco is ridiculously cool. I feel like if people show up on a day where every outdoor coaster is unable to run they'll still walk away loving this event (plus they still have flats, Chubasco, Justice League and Dark Knight).

Also even though I'd imagine it's one train ops across the board it was awesome to see Raging Bull hit 70 minutes. The fact that people turned up to the event on a 50 degree night is hardly proof of concept but everyone should be happy with what they saw yesterday.

Frontier Airlines, if you're listening hit us with one of those $15 sales to O'Hare, please and thank you.

They did have 99% off yesterday. EWR -> ORD not on that list

That's an awesome use of the drop tower!

That's an awesome use of the drop tower!

Here in SFSL ours is sitting with just a white floodlight shining on it. Jealous.

I went to the park on Friday and I was very surprised with how much effort was put into Holiday in the Park. There are a ton of lights and light protection on Chubasco is really cool. The only area without lights is Yankee Harbor, but that's okay. Overall the shows are pretty good. I hate Christmas music, but still found them to be enjoyable. I didn't leave myself much time for rides so I rode X-Flight once and Raging Bull three times. Both were walk ons, running well, one train and slow ride ops. I had a good time and plan on going a few more times. I took pictures, but don't have time to edit and post them. Side note, there are some Maxx Force pieces in the back parking lot and more rebar cages at the construction site.

So a couple of really quick thoughts. I went on Saturday night and while I overall had a good time I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed.

There were some logistical issues like running out of souvenir hot chocolate cups. This is understandable and all but then to have only one stand offering paper cups (all the other stands were only offering refills for cups they had sold out of) didn’t make any sense. The light show is massively disappointing and beyond tacky. I expected to see the whole area have dancing lights to a festive theme, what I saw was a giant video wall of Santa doing “the nae nae”.

And my last point, and this opinion I got from comparing the experience to the much smaller Six Flags St. Louis. But Great America is just a little too big for this event. It’s impossible to avoid the dead space and closed rides in between areas.

This hopefully will get better as the event grows year to year. Again we had a good time, and top points to the Santa meet and greet on the train. That was really well done. Hopefully next year once Max Force is done they can have the train and the observation tower open for this event!

519C6782-1345-41C3-AE2C-E5965C58FD0E.thumb.jpeg.f95f8a987f5274401d50cdf5dafccf85.jpeg

A raptor clone makes sense. The park has been saying they are out of room for about 20 years. Most of the coasters are medium to small in size. A raptor could fit in the space occupied by Buccaneer Battle. The Demon Funnel Cake stand and/or the Hometown Park rides could be removed depending on the coaster placement. Pretty much the same area where Railblazer is at CGA. The raptors look like good rides so it would be cool if the park got one eventually. The capacity is my only issue, but I could always ride it when the park isn't busy. We'll see if this park or another in the chain gets a raptor clone in the coming years.