TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So this is a half coaster kind of like YOLOcoaster but on crack essentially?

even has brakes on the drop at the end like yolo!

You're right, I didn't even notice that! Hopefully it isn't as abrupt as Full Throttle's final brakes, feels like being rear-ended everytime.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m so ready for these totally arbitrary and nonsensical covid rules to be over.  So a waterpark with no masks was fine all summer but they can’t run a coaster Or a Scrambler with a bunch of empt

This is life in Illinois. We're everything that's wrong with California, without the view.

Not even funny, man, not even funny.

Posted Images

Looks like a sick new addition. I really am glad to see more of these unique, low to the ground crazy twister coasters.

2019 is gunna be hard, so many parks I havent done that are adding new rides all over the country and I cant get to them all.

choices to make!

I stopped in yesterday for a bit cause we weren't far away, really nice looking park. The double carousel is really cool as well. Really agree with Robb about the park having nice rides but nothing we would have went out of our way for.

So this is a half coaster kind of like YOLOcoaster but on crack essentially?

It's just the other half of YOLO Coaster. It got sent to the wrong park. And this park was like "Hey, what's this random coaster track? Eh. We can make something work."

But in all seriousness. . . This does look like a great addition to the park! I cant wait to give it a go!

So in "WTF?" news, there are pictures going around the internet (on a site I won't share here as I sort of remember them having some type of beef with TPR) of Christmas lights on the County Fair Food Court and Yukon Territory which basically implies that they're opening the entire park for Holiday in the Park aside from maybe Southwest Territory (though if it's not open one would think they would open the Southwest territory gate back to Justice League so they could open that and cut it right there.

Six Flags is insane. I love them.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Really if there are enough guests in the park, there's not any reason why every park can't deck out the whole thing and just run what will function in that temperature. I feel like a lot of these partial openings are just to reduce costs until they see what the demand is.

From my understanding from another forum, park was contacted back when they announced HITP and they said the entire park would be open. I guess we will see come November 23rd though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding from another forum, park was contacted back when they announced HITP and they said the entire park would be open. I guess we will see come November 23rd though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should see before then. Six Flags St Louis released a HITP map in October IIRC.

The loop layout of Great America would make it harder to have anything less than the full original loop open. And Southwest Territory isn't that big so having it open probably isn't too bad either and it has two good coasters and two flat rides that should do well in the cold.

Honestly I was sure they would cut the path at the "bridge" to Yukon territory and somewhere between the train bridge and Strutters on the right. The motivation for opening the entire loop is probably based almost solely on Justice League (which I understand) and maybe the desire to open another kids area since the demographic for these events shifts a lot towards kids and families.

Has anyone seen any lights in Southwest Territory? If not I expect them to cut the path near the Lobster, use the back path to get to Justice League and then cut the path at the choke point near Justice League and the restrooms.

That said, I don't expect every coaster in the open parts of the park to actually operate. American Eagle's queue would be awful to deal with when it snows so I feel like that would close for sure since nobody would really care. I feel like they're going to stick to B&M's, kiddy coasters and Joker with V2 being a crapshoot.

... oh, and Larson coasters. They run great in the cold.

I'm looking forward to Holiday in the Park just got dragged along on an impromtu trip to Chicago for a concert at the end of November, good thing the park is doing HITP this year as it's something for me to look forward to for that trip.

I'll be very curious to see what coaster runs in the Chicago Christmas cold . . . .

Dark Knight is obvious, Batman the Ride is confirmed on the website, Joker and Superman are shown in B Roll from Great Adventure which is not a confirmation, but it’s also highly plausible.

My assumption would be Dark Knight and the B&Ms will run (aside from Raging Bull as that area will likely be closed). Anything else in that area is a crapshoot though I’d lean towards all of them being closed aside from the kiddy coasters if I had to venture a guess.

That’s totally based on me flat out guessing based on what they’re doing elsewhere though.

I'll be very curious to see what coaster runs in the Chicago Christmas cold . . . .

Dark Knight is obvious, Batman the Ride is confirmed on the website, Joker and Superman are shown in B Roll from Great Adventure which is not a confirmation, but it’s also highly plausible.

My assumption would be Dark Knight and the B&Ms will run (aside from Raging Bull as that area will likely be closed). Anything else in that area is a crapshoot though I’d lean towards all of them being closed aside from the kiddy coasters if I had to venture a guess.

That’s totally based on me flat out guessing based on what they’re doing elsewhere though.

Seems reasonable. Will be interesting to ride something like Batman if we get one of those polar vortices.

If SFNE and Great Adventure are any indication, they'll run pretty much anything that's staffed or not water based.

with respect, Chicago winters can be degrees of magnitude colder (having lived in both Boston and Chicago, I can attest to Chicago winters having some horrific wind chill days and deep dips, even if the high averages in January are only about 5 degrees apart between the cities.).

If SFNE and Great Adventure are any indication, they'll run pretty much anything that's staffed or not water based.

with respect, Chicago winters can be degrees of magnitude colder (having lived in both Boston and Chicago, I can attest to Chicago winters having some horrific wind chill days and deep dips, even if the high averages in January are only about 5 degrees apart between the cities.).

You also have to remember that the parks are willing to lose some days for weather. Like yeah... if it’s a high of 10 degrees the park is going to close that day and they’re cool with that. New England didn’t open for like 5 days and they considered it enough of a success to state that on a conference call and then expanded the event to Great America after seeing how that performed (though it did get down to 10 degrees one night in New England last year and Mind Eraser ran in it).

You also have to remember that the parks are willing to lose some days for weather. Like yeah... if it’s a high of 10 degrees the park is going to close that day and they’re cool with that. New England didn’t open for like 5 days and they considered it enough of a success to state that on a conference call and then expanded the event to Great America after seeing how that performed (though it did get down to 10 degrees one night in New England last year and Mind Eraser ran in it).

So amazing that they can run these rides that cold.

I will definitely check it out. With a tauntaun, of course.

Batman STL ran in to the low teens last year until ice buildup shut it down. If it was a drier cold it would have probably worked fine even lower. Ice even shut the ferris wheel down.

Chicago is probably going to run in to the same issue. Moisture will shut things down before raw temperature will.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I know this probably is a frequently asked question but my family is planning a trip to Six flags on the weekend of the 28th-30th and we noticed that fright fest hours have started! I just wanted to know if we should plan to go Friday from 5-9 or Saturday, depending on which day will have shorter lines and less crowded overall while still getting to most rides in. Thanks!