TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

The park's social media account just tweeted that tomorrow they'll be making an announcement about "what's returning to King's Island."

Granted, there are definitely plenty of things that could "return," but, after those teaser posters and all...

Vortex is front and center in that picture on the tweet. Maybe it's getting the new style trains and a fresh paint job? Doesn't correspond with the aforementioned land clearing, but could be a good solution to revitalize it and keep it around in the long term as one of the dwindling number of big Arrow loopers. A smaller enhancement for next year before whatever larger project comes the following year.

Vortex is front and center in that picture on the tweet. Maybe it's getting the new style trains and a fresh paint job? Doesn't correspond with the aforementioned land clearing, but could be a good solution to revitalize it and keep it around in the long term as one of the dwindling number of big Arrow loopers. A smaller enhancement for next year before whatever larger project comes the following year.

This was my initial thought too, but they did say "find out what's returning to Kings Island" so that would imply something that used to exist is coming back. I guess we'll find out soon.

I'm not super familiar with KI history. What rides were beloved but have been removed?

3f5a12e4d89b7bb2be21bd7cd1b8748c.jpg

There's a 0% chance of that happening though. Oh well, I can dream.

Antique cars make sense, especially because they probably have cars sitting around somewhere ready to go that were removed from some park somewhere in the chain. There's also that Flight Commander pad and the Skyhawk ride they bought for Wonderland a few years ago would be pretty similar and could pay homage to that.

That said... that ride killed someone. Do they really want to pay homage to it?

I'm on the antique cars bandwagon.

Other rides that have been removed that I can think of:

Tumble Bug (no chance of returning, I know!)

Intamin Der Spinnen Keggers

Chance Rotor (no chance of returning unless they are moving Finnish Fling to KI!)

Intamin Flying Dutchman (now at Kentucky Kingdom)

Huss Skylab (nope)

Intamin Zodiac (Double Ferris Wheel, no chance)

Giant Slide (possible...)

Arrow Shuttle Loop (nope!)

Arrow Hydroflume (nope!)

Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel (possible)

and the one ride that would get me to dance down the aisles of my office if it made a return although it has 0% chance of happening- a Bayern Kurve.

I'd be totally fine with the Antique Cars returning. I'd be even more fine with the return of the Sky Ride!

^Agreed. It seems unlikely they would make some major announcement with so little advance notice. Definitely interested to see what it is.

On another note, is King's Island similar to other parks in that the crowds increase as Haunt goes along? I am thinking of making a trip out the first or second weekend of Haunt and was curious, as when I went Oct. 21 last year it was absolutely packed.

Not to stir the SOB pot again, but I visited the park yesterday and took some photos of the mystery wood that appeared by the SOB memorial in Banshee line.

IMG_0184.thumb.jpg.9005ce4b4ed565ef5110108232f74f62.jpgIMG_0186.thumb.jpg.0b75fc8802c54ccc3f277955baf764d2.jpg

I'm thinking this announcement is most likely the long-rumored antique cars, unless it could be some kind of show or event that's returning? I'm actually off tomorrow so I might try to turn up for it. I was already considering going to KI tomorrow but now this gives me another reason to go!

On another note, is King's Island similar to other parks in that the crowds increase as Haunt goes along? I am thinking of making a trip out the first or second weekend of Haunt and was curious, as when I went Oct. 21 last year it was absolutely packed.

Last year I visited Haunt at least half of the Fridays it was running, and I can confirm that it does tend to get busier closer to Halloween! Also, Fridays are better than Saturdays, by far, and maze lines get shorter later in the evening.

That's a good find.

While it could obviously mean nothing, I don't think combining something like antique cars with an announcement about Racer upgrades is all that farfetched. If they want to do some general maintenance and play it up as part of the announcement then I'd be all for that. The only notable upgrade I could think of that seems at all realistic is running one of the sides backward again. They could tie it all together with the antique cars as a nice big nostalgiagasm.

I have been hearing rumors about a lighting package for the Racer for a while now. Plus a flat ride.

Likely the old is new is the Racer and the return portion is talking about a flat ride the park has had in the past. Flyers or Antique cars feels like the most likely. Very possible the Racer gets more than just lighting.

Although I am prepared to be disappointed.

I’m not sure how likely this would be but with RMC spotted earlier this year and the tour tomorrow my thought was RMC giving it a topper track treatment and getting Racer new trains.

I’m cool with antique cars too.

Any updates to the Racer will be great.

Do we know what team worked on Racer 75? That was running like brand new. Whoever was behind that project needs to be sent out to any wooden coaster that needs a refresh because it ran beautifully - smooth and had some airtime.

But let's be real. We know what we all want to return the most...

bic.thumb.jpg.28ef1d12c3536224b7b25ed81385754b.jpg

BANSHEE ICE CREAM!!! (credit pintrest)

I doubt RMC for Racer, even topper track. Probably a refurb and hopefully a return of the original paint scheme, and maybe, even more hopefully, the restoration of the last bunny hops before the brake tunnel

Edit: I just remembered there has apparently been some teasing about "the 5" or something on some posters at CP (possible Outpost 5 reference) which has caused some speculation that they might be overhauling and maybe extending Adventure Express, so I guess that's also a possibility. I'd rather see Racer get a nice restoration, though, personally