TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 829: Adventure Port themed area announced for 2023!

According to RCDB, the tallest destroyed coaster is Moonsault Scrambler at 229' (11' taller than SOB), the fastest destroyed coaster is Hypersonic XLC at 80 mph (2 mph more than SOB), and the longest destroyed coaster is Diadarasaurus at 7677' long (645' longer than SOB). I'm surprised it wasn't the tallest, fastest, or longest destroyed (not relocated) coaster, though it is #2 in all those statistics.

I've always wondered with Moonsault exactly how much of that was used, and if it was the height of the track or the height of the spires at the front of the ride. It had a max top listed speed of 55.9 MPH, which based on other coasters means theoretically is only is using 150 or so feet of that height. Obviously, with the monster Gs it was pulling, there was a reason they wouldn't have gone higher.

And I don't know exactly how I'd count Daidarasaurus, wince it was a racing coaster that got modified to go around twice. I guess it's longer, but it just feels like cheating.

Totally forgot about Hypersonic (and that I could have done that search on RCDB too, thanks!)...

Son of Beast would've looked much nicer if it had a drop straight out of the chain lift like Diamondback.

Personally, that giant swooping left hand turn was one of the things that I really loved about the ride. It gave you a moment before the ride essentially disappeared to see the train swooping above head, and it gave riders a chance to realize that they were really high up in the air on a wooden ride before that first plunge.

Too bad that right after that point was where it started hurting so bad.

This will give you a link to some info on Moonsault Scramble.

www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21000&start=670

You can also see a video

of the ride. It does go pretty near the top of the tallest part of the ride.

It's too bad SOB was such a terrible ride. I never got to ride it, I guess that's a good thing, but it did look very impressive. I am a little surprised they didn't do a Rocky Mountain treatment, but it probably was in bad shape for being closed for so long.

I am a little surprised they didn't do a Rocky Mountain treatment, but it probably was in bad shape for being closed for so long.

If the wood they used on Son of Beast was as cheap as I think it was, Rocky Mountain probably wouldn't have been able to use the existing structure at all. They'd essentially have to build a new attraction (not that that's a bad thing), but they could possibly have used the concrete footers.

I am a little surprised they didn't do a Rocky Mountain treatment, but it probably was in bad shape for being closed for so long.

If the wood they used on Son of Beast was as cheap as I think it was, Rocky Mountain probably wouldn't have been able to use the existing structure at all. They'd essentially have to build a new attraction (not that that's a bad thing), but they could possibly have used the concrete footers.

Even if they could do something, I think a steel coaster would be a better idea overall.

The queue line itself is very short for a coaster of that size in a park that size, so a picture with it overflowing is deceiving to what the actual popularity and wait times are. True, the capacity of this ride doesn't warrant an extremely long queue, but the queue is still very short. As you can see, the fences are not for temporary overflow, they are built for a common occurence. Vortex is aging, and while many may still enjoy it (including myself), it would come as no surprise if/when they annouce its retirement.

^They (or at least the rumor mill) sure did a good job of teasing us about a potential overhaul for a while. I think many of us agreed that it was probably a lost cause, though.

The issue with doing anything with SOB from the very beginning is that the redesigns that have been done of the couple rides to make them different use the same basic structure... and therein lies the problem. Son of Beast doesn't... er, didn't really have much more that you could have done. The structure of the ride is SO big already and honestly so dull that there really isn't much that you could do to liven it up. The points when it could have actually done something different - like the lead up to the loop - it was going back through the structure and would have required ridiculous changes to the ride.

Not that I'm not a bing fan of the beast but it would nice to see some of the track redone and have some of those trim breaks removed or make them so they don't slow down the ride as much...

That would be nice. It is rather slow. That's the one thing that stood out when I rode it for the first time.

1343425516_4.jpg.4957927ca6078148caaa95fd02ec793d.jpg

Son of Beast is now completely gone!

http://telly.com/64M9H

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=SOB_comes_down_evtz[/coastertube]

http://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland

665843_10151508579808368_1193646449_o.thumb.jpg.bfe8b8b567beb5caf05f15cea475c881.jpg

690193969.thumb.jpg.84601ef8b0e6daa58a3f3b9215749e0f.jpg

The lift hill after it hit the ground.

pki10_249.jpg.eb6507561d13bf9272e67c7b64da95be.jpg

A final glimpse at what the ride once looked like with the loop...

dsc_0394_205.jpg.435b689e047ca3fc5f6906add9f1190a.jpg

And without the loop.

Edited by jedimaster1227