TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Vekoma Flyer in China 2008

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Zamperla Volares are small and cheap, the popular opinion is that they are by far the worst of the three types of Flyers (B&M, Vekoma, Zamperla.)

Small, yes. But Volares aren't that cheap.

And no one buys a ride without trying out existing models. And no one should buy a Volare after trying one. They're just terrible rides.

I think this ride looks interesting. At least Vekoma is trying something new and interesting, instead of taking an existing idea and just making it 5 feet taller.

Looks fun but the capacity is going to be a problem.

With 8 people to a train and only one train dispatching at say every 90 seconds would indicate 320 people per hour. I don't see how they can possibly dispatch that fast.

This ride belongs in Fuji Queue

This looks like an interesting coaster. Reading through this thread, I found the conversation about where the trains will raise and lower to be interesting. With such a short layout and only one train, it would hep to have the trains raise while on the lift. I know it doesn't mean much but in the NL1.7 update, the new flyer raises while on the lift, and lowers while on the brake run. You now have the option to change the car position where you would like. Take this as you may, but I don't think NL would incorporate an unrealistic or unfeasible design into their realistic program.

I actually think this ride looks fun, and for some reason I have confidence that Vekoma will pull it off. I've been proud of the company lately, so let's just hope they continue making improvements.

Not sure how this is a prototype...??? Vekome first debuted this concept 8 years ago. I would probably call it a 2nd generation flying dutchman. Looks pretty awesome to me. Sort of reminds me of a conceptual flying dutchman that Keith McVeen did years ago after Stealth debuted with a vertical lift and a pretty crazy layout. I think he has since taken it off of the badnitrus website.

I've always thought a vertical lift on these would be great...more along the lines of climbing a drop tower instead of staring into the sun. With the shorter trains they can be a little more inventive with the elements...such as the flying outside loop thing, since the train doesnt need the extra speed to get the last 3-4 cars thru the element, which can reduce the positive g's into the restraints.

As far as capacity...with the proper blocking and multiple trains these could have decent capacity. I would chalk that one up to the park, not Vekoma.

Anyway, overall it looks like Vekoma has made some major improvements to the design. I think this looks pretty awesome. Yea for Vekoma!

I'm actually really excited about this. I think it's a wicked cool design, and I've always preferred the Vekoma Flying Dutchman over the B&M flyers. I'd love to see this design come to the U.S. soon.

Are you kidding me? Superman Ultimate Flight @ SFoG is the smoothest coaster ever. Its like butter! Anyone else agree B&M over Vekoma Flyers?

I'm actually really excited about this. I think it's a wicked cool design, and I've always preferred the Vekoma Flying Dutchman over the B&M flyers. I'd love to see this design come to the U.S. soon.

Are you kidding me? Superman Ultimate Flight @ SFoG is the smoothest coaster ever. Its like butter! Anyone else agree B&M over Vekoma Flyers?

So smoothness automatically means a ride is better, no matter what?

Outside of the pretzel loops, I find the SUF clones fairly boring. The pretzel loop is crazy intense, and then it pretty much turns into a family ride after that. I much prefer the constant transitions and unusual elements of the Vekomas. I don't care for the B&M flyer trains either. They are uncomfortable, bulky, and the minute they start to rattle in the least, I feel like my nuts are getting put in a paint shaker. The lap bars and vests of the Vekomas are far better in my opinion.

This is a retarded design. Way too short, too compact, and some places will have not enough speed but others will have too much.

Say right before the station it will be going uncomfortably fast into the brakes, but the spot after the batwing where it goes back up will be way to slow.

2 out of 10 for this design, but we'll wait and see.

Video posted on RCPro: http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/ryan/stingray.wmv

SOO not digging that all-the-blood-slamming-into-your-skull abrupt ending!

Not sure how this is a prototype...??? Vekome first debuted this concept 8 years ago. I would probably call it a 2nd generation flying dutchman.

I guess it sorta depends on your definition. To me a 2nd generation would be like the Schwarzkopf flywheel launch was to the counterweight launch. Or TTD was to Xcel, the same basic concept, just taken the next level up. Every aspect of Stingray is completely different from their flying dutchman, the only commonality being that they're both flyers. For the record, I also consider the GIB a prototype rather than a 2nd generation since all aspects were also so completely different from their Invertigos. Again, the only commonality was that they were both suspended shuttles.

I just seen the video and it looks fine apart from the ending, I bet there will be loads of people feeling dizzy / ill as the train flys into the brake run and coming to a stop lying on your back.

The ride should be longer and wider, there is so much speed left before the final dive, the train can do some "inverted" hills, banked corners and then dive towards the station.