TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^That's what i was thinking, the only thing that would make me think 2018 is the fact that we haven't had an announcement yet

I say that it will be open "New for 2018" becuase of how long the New Texas Giant remodel took. They are similarly sized, and will probably take about the same amount of time to construct, which will put the opening of New Mean Streak in 2018.

NTAG was also fabricated when their manufacturing capacity was barely 10% of what it is now. I think that timeline is very inaccurate. Twisted Colossus is a more comparable scale project.

This ^

And the fact that it seems RMC has no 2017 projects announced as of yet seems like they are dedicating all of their man power towards having Mean Streak ready for a 2017 opening. The lift and first Drop is almost gone and they have started laying the steel i=beams out like they preparing to install them any day now they seem to be moving pretty fast for a 2018 opening imo

^so, since TC took 9 months to complete in great weather, should we expect this to be finished in late June? July? August?

RMC also had other projects going at the same time as TC unlike now seems like the only thing they have going on is Mean Streak so they should be able to work much fast since they'll have more manpower to put on this single project. Yes there's a possible another RMC project could be announced for 2017 but it hasn't happened yet and so far there isn't any signs of another RMC project taking place that I'm aware of.

Also they worked through a pretty tough winter to get Wildfire complete unless Ohio has a severely bad winter I don't see why they couldn't do it at CP

My thought process is this: If this is intended to be a 2017 attraction, Cedar Point is waiting on an official announcement until a predetermined point that they've set where they feel comfortable that it will open on time. Especially if the timeline RMC gave them is cutting it really close to opening day (or any other day for that matter; i.e. Memorial Day weekend opening or July 1st). They don't want to over promise and under deliver. And this hypothetical point in time where they feel like they are on schedule or ahead of schedule (excluding unforeseen circumstances that show up later during testing: i.e. Maverick's heartline or Lightning Rod's launch system) could be anything they chose, such as all wood track has been removed, 50% of RMC track is installed, or the lift hill and drop are complete, or it could be a date in time, i.e. November 1st. Then they will make an announcement.

But that's just my theory, and it would only make sense for this off season if this was intended to be a 2017 attraction. If it was for 2018, I wouldn't expect any announcement until next summer/fall.

Is cedar point really a park that would purposely open a big new coaster on any other day besides opening day?

No. And anyone who isn't on the 2018 bandwagon is delusional. When it's October and you're making a hard push for 2017 season passes, you do that by marketing your big new ride. If you have a coaster opening up that could potentially compete for the title of greatest coaster ever built you don't push a stupid water slide.

I could see it be done with an opening around the 4th of July. That way they get one wave of people into the park for the new water park and then another wave of people to try the new Mean Streak.

Cedar Point / Cedar Fair has never deliberately had a ride open mid-season, plus even if that was the plan they would still be marketing it now. This makes absolutely no sense. The ride isn't opening in 2017 no matter how badly enthusiasts want it to. Cedar Point has a great marketing team, they would never do something as incompetent as building an insane new coaster and not marketing it when they're trying to push season pass renewals and instead pushing a water park upgrade which is really more of a tool to push longer hotel stays and up-sell people who are already coming to the resort than to actually directly draw gate.

Aside from the fact that enthusiasts want this thing to open in 2017 there is absolutely no reason to believe that that's going to happen. I don't care about RMC construction timelines either, if they had something this marketable they would be marketing it during their last month of being able to drive in-park season pass upgrades / renewals. The fact that their marketing team isn't doing that is all you need to know about when this ride is going to open. Also, that's really a good thing for us anyway. If this project is going to take that long then there's reason to believe that it's going to be absolutely mind blowing.

I love how in a matter of hours, we've got people proclaiming that it is definitely for 2017 because RMC is putting all their resources into it, while, in a totally unrelated thread, T-Rex track apparently appears at Silverwood. Too good for words.

^^Keep in mind that the part about the T-Rex track is unlikely to be true, the person who said it said he couldn't provide any more information. There's no pictures or anything. You'd think if it was true, we'd be allover it by now and it would create a lot of hype.

TPR is an awesome site, but there's way too many people on here who attempt to sound logical based on their own wishful thinking. Why can't we be realists and just talk about the facts, rather than constantly spew out "well maybe it could work out like this or that because of this or that and this park did it this way so CP has to!!". It's almost mid-October and there hasn't even been anything close to a teaser dropped on what is being done to the ride. Are we forgetting Cedar Fair just dropped 20-25 million on Valravn? If we include the waterpark expansion, a 50/60 million dollar investment in one park over the span of 2 seasons is definitely something you won't see Cedar Fair doing, so let's stop kidding ourselves now.

TPR is an awesome site, but there's way too many people on here who attempt to sound logical based on their own wishful thinking. Why can't we be realists and just talk about the facts, rather than constantly spew out "well maybe it could work out like this or that because of this or that and this park did it this way so CP has to!!". It's almost mid-October and there hasn't even been anything close to a teaser dropped on what is being done to the ride. Are we forgetting Cedar Fair just dropped 20-25 million on Valravn? If we include the waterpark expansion, a 50/60 million dollar investment in one park over the span of 2 seasons is definitely something you won't see Cedar Fair doing, so let's stop kidding ourselves now.

I feel like you and I are going to get along great. Welcome to TPR.

Is cedar point really a park that would purposely open a big new coaster on any other day besides opening day?

No. And anyone who isn't on the 2018 bandwagon is delusional. When it's October and you're making a hard push for 2017 season passes, you do that by marketing your big new ride. If you have a coaster opening up that could potentially compete for the title of greatest coaster ever built you don't push a stupid water slide.

Water park*.

I like you, Bill, but you make a lot of statements presented as fact ("photoshopped obviously!"). At the rate they are getting construction done, is be shocked if it wasn't 2017. Thinking that isn't delusional.

Edit - the park would NEVER wait to promote a coaster, right? Nomember announcement for Wicked Twister and January for Top Thrill Dragster say otherwise. With recent construction timelines being around 9 months, Cedar Point closing the red early in the season, someone seeing a teaser on fun TV with what looked like an RMC on it, the closing ceremony with Richard Michael Crosby, construction already in high gear, no announced projects for next year, etc, etc. Also gotta think about the massive Breakers expansion in 2018 likely costs more than EVERYTHING Cedar Point is adding on this years budget. A lot of logical reasons to think 2017

They would have announced already something opening with the park next year, but just when would they announce something opening later in the year? Is there any precedent? It may be too early to even predict. Only 2 months late so far.

I like you, Bill, but you make a lot of statements presented as fact ("photoshopped obviously!"). At the rate they are getting construction done, is be shocked if it wasn't 2017. Thinking that isn't delusional.

Edit - the park would NEVER wait to promote a coaster, right? Nomember announcement for Wicked Twister and January for Top Thrill Dragster say otherwise. With recent construction timelines being around 9 months, Cedar Point closing the red early in the season, someone seeing a teaser on fun TV with what looked like an RMC on it, the closing ceremony with Richard Michael Crosby, construction already in high gear, no announced projects for next year, etc, etc. Also gotta think about the massive Breakers expansion in 2018 likely costs more than EVERYTHING Cedar Point is adding on this years budget. A lot of logical reasons to think 2017

I was waiting for someone to bring up those 2 examples from more than 10 years ago. I almost put in a disclaimer but I thought it was obvious that the parks had entirely different ownership groups and marketing departments back then so it went without saying that those examples were irrelevant.

I was wrong about the photoshopping, but that's because I come from a place of assuming that enthusiasts are making sh*t up 100% of the time when in reality it's only about 99.95% of the time. Occasionally I'll be wrong when doing that but it serves me really well almost 100% of the time.

I'm sorry, but to assume that this ride is going to open in 2017 is to assume that the Cedar Point marketing team is completely incompetent and has their heads up their a**ses. They're making a huge push in-park and on the website for Season Pass renewals, even dangling free Fastlane Plus as a cookie for doing it. There's a reason that every single park in the chain and in the Six Flags chain announces new rides when they do. It's because it coincides with their major push for pass renewals / buy a 2017 pass, get XXX perk in 2016 and because they want a strong Q3 and Q4.

People are way too focused on the fact that they think the ride could physically be done for 2017 (even though they know nothing about the layout / theme / plans) and not focused enough on how little sense that would make from a business standpoint. I mean... could it happen? I guess, Tempesto happened. But that was a case of a company in a downward spiral / PR nightmare going through an ownership change. The Cedar Point marketing team is very organized and very good at what they do. To blow this on such an unimaginable level and try to push it once the parks are closed for the season is very unlike them and it goes against their marketing plan for Cedar Point and every other park in the chain every single year including this year for the last decade plus.

Water park*.

Yeah... kind of, but not really. It's basically the same thing with a new slide and a kids play area replacing the old kids play area. Plus if you're arguing that it's a larger and more impressive attraction then that's really another argument against the RMC being a 2017 addition.

Look, I see where you're coming from based on the construction timeline but you have to admit that it makes no sense at all from a marketing standpoint for this thing to be a 2017 addition.

In respect to Wicked Twister's November 2001 announcement, do you think that anther news story, say around the first half of September 2001, when the park may have originally planned to announce the ride, just maybe persuaded them to push back their announcement?

In respect to Dragster's January 2003 announcement, that ride barely opened on time in May. There's a good chance that they were waiting on Intamin to be more confident that they could actually get it to work before the park announced that it would be ready for opening day 2003.